Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AR's King Silabolin
  • 1 Post By Obs
  • 1 Post By Kay kay

Thread: Heavy or high reps goddamit?

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power

Heavy or high reps goddamit?

Problem is like 60-70% say hit them heavy, white fibers most of the time. 40-30% say high reps, mod weights. And there are some real big guys with 30+ years experience who go with the last.

How about doing both?...Tomorrow i start with incline chestpress 6 reps 3 plates or what the f its gonna be.
    Then second set i use 1.5 plate for 20 to 30 reps.
    Then maybe one exercise heavy only. Then one light only.

Then we should be 100% safe. Get the best from both camps...no?

I always say..why dont u try it out..find out for yourself. Well..its not that easy cause we try new stuff and lots of new stuff every month and its impossible to tell what causes the gains.

U think this combine in the same workout is better?

Sent fra min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk
    Last edited by AR's King Silabolin; 10-13-2018 at 02:18 AM.
    Obs likes this.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    I usually like to do the 4-6 rep range for the big compound exercises
    The 10-12 rep range for the isolation exercises

1. Rep range does not matter for hypertrophy as long as total volume is matched. HOWEVER to build greater strength, you need to lift heavier. And it is easy to get more volume with lighter weights. Hence why I mix it up depending on the exercise. I care about strength more on the compound movements
    2. The return diminish quickly after 12 reps. The difference between 12 and 24 reps are statistically insignificant as long as you can match volume, referring back to (1). But this is much more easy to accomplish at these lighter weights.

I think combining them in the same workout, may drive volume high (because of the high reps), and may increase strength (because of the heavy weight). But I always believe that the first set and the first few reps are really just warm ups. All the progress is made in the last set and the last few reps of a set. So if you utilize 2 different strategies in the same exercise, you are not getting the full benefit of either

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HoldMyBeer; 10-13-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    I switch up.
    Reload deload.
    I do what I feel.

Whatever I do constantly my body adapts to the most efficient way possible. My body does not see unnatural mass as efficient.

Some days I max at five sometimes 20
    Sometimes 3 sets 10 exercises
    Sometimes 5-8 sets 2 exercises
    I am the ultimate workout variator

Kay kay is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    IMO sil, my advice to combine both would be to hit body parts twice a week, once with a strength style low rep workout, and once with a pump style higher rep workout.

Or twice per day with the strength workout in am and a light pump high rep workout in on (might get flamed for that suggestion but oh well)

For the record I believe in hitting muscle groups once a week. I’ll do my first set of compound exercises in the 4-8 rep range after warming up, and the rest in the 8-16 rep range. This gives me seemingly the best of both worlds.

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    I been doing 4 of 5 sets light and high rep, finished by the 5th set heavy.

I guess I'm "pre-fatigueing " the muscle and finishing it off with something to remember.

Thread Information