solidj55 is offline Member

I decided to try HIT for my weights this week

I decided this week that I was going to do a full body HIT routine twice per week for the next 6-8 weeks. Its a lot harder than I thought because you feel pretty zapped after your first 2-3 exercises and I find it hard to push myself to total failure on some of the exercises later on in the routine. But overall I have done both of my workouts this week and I really enjoyed it. Its fast, 40-50mins, I feel really pumped and I am able to push some good weights to a point that I normally would not.
    I dont know how it will work in the long run but we shall see. I do eight exercises per session, mostly multi-joint exercises with just a few isolation movements. Also this week I decided to do 2 days per week of HIIT cardio(similar to the Bill Phillips 20 min cardio) to keep my metabolism up from only training 2 days per week, as well as to see if it would help me when I am lifting seeing as I find it hard to keep my stamina up on this workout. Anyway, I just posted this because I am going to attempt to keep my progress on this thread for my own personal use. I know many people have tried and some still use HIT, seeing as it has been around for years, but I never had the nuts to do it because it seemed like too little work. I have been at a stand-still and lack motivation in training so I decided to do this to inspire new motivation.

Week 1

Day 1

Dumbell Flat Press- 1x9x85(failed on 10)
    Supinated Chinups-1x10(failed on 11)
    Dumbell Overhead Press- 1x12x55(failed on 13)
    Tricep Pushdowns- 1x12x80(failed on 13)
    Barbell Preacher Curls- 1x15x70(failed on 16)
    Hyperextensions- 1x15xbodyweight+25
    Decline Situps- 1x20
    Leg Press- 1x8x??? Cant remember...

Day 2

Dumbell Incline(20 degree)- 1x14x70
    Seated Cable Row(reverse grip)- 1x15x90
    Dips- 1x20xbodyweight
    Dumbell Side Raises- 1x15x15
    Dumbell Incline Curl- 1x8x30
    Nautilus Lower-Back Machine-1x15x140
    Nautilus Situp Machine- 1x15x120
    Hack Squat- 1x15x315

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    i don't beleive that your supposed to go full body every workout. I think generally ppl will take 3 workouts to work the whole body. Usually ppl do those 3 workouts over a period of about 10-12 days. In general i beleive each workout is about 3-5 exercises, excluding warmups. 40-50 min is way too long for a hit workout, i don't beleive it should be longer than 30 min. or so, but usually shorter.

I haven't read HIT stuff in a while, but you might want to read over that stuff a lil bit again, cuz i think you are making it harder on yourself than it has to be although i'm sure most probably don't think its hard workin out 2 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    i don't beleive that your supposed to go full body every workout. I think generally ppl will take 3 workouts to work the whole body. Usually ppl do those 3 workouts over a period of about 10-12 days. In general i beleive each workout is about 3-5 exercises, excluding warmups. 40-50 min is way too long for a hit workout, i don't beleive it should be longer than 30 min. or so, but usually shorter.

I haven't read HIT stuff in a while, but you might want to read over that stuff a lil bit again, cuz i think you are making it harder on yourself than it has to be although i'm sure most probably don't think its hard workin out 2 days a week.
    Thanks for the idea I may do that instead. The thing is there is one thing that I read about HIT and it recommended doing a full body routine 2x per week so thats why I set mine up like this. But you may be right, I may look into adjusting. And that 40-50 min isnt all lifting, lol, I was speaking of enter and exit gym time. All in all my total workout takes probably 30 some odd minutes, probably closer to the 40 minute side due to the fact that my rest intervals tend to get a little longer as my workout goes on.

Ok give me some help here. If I were to cut it down, I would want to work opposing muscles instead of same muscles. Chest/Back, Tris/Bis, etc. But I want to keep it simple. What kind of split would you do?

Ok, I did some more reading and saw this HIT routine. I may try an outline similar to this but I will have to put my own spin on it of course

Day 1
    Squat
    Bench Press or Dips
    Rows
    Abs

Day 2
    Deadlift
    Overhead Press
    Chinups
    Abs

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    Solid,
    Here goes I do a variation of Mentzer's and it's more like Dorian's...
    *based of what you just posted*
    Day 1
    >>>Warm up with leg extensions 4 sets with last one to failure
    Squat
    >>>>135 -20 225-15 315- 10 405 - failure
    Bench Press or Dips
    >>>>I use DB's 1st 2 sets are warmups and the 3 or 4thwill be to failure.
    I do it for Inclines and then Flat bench and decline followed with cables
    Rows
    Abs

Day 2
    Deadlift >>>3 warmups and last to failure
    Overhead Press>>>I use db's (arnolds) 5 sets with last 3 to failure
    Chinups >>>>4 set's all to failure, then BB row 4sets
    Abs

It's the theory of HIT that's awesome, everything is based of a 4 2 4 cadence 4 sec sup 2 sec hold 4 secs down. It's very intense! I did legs at lunch today and I'm struggling walking arond the office. PM me if you want to see the details of the workout because it is a 5 day workout as apposed to Mentzers who is 1 every 6 days. I have a video where he's killing an ifbb pro. (it was his last video before he died, and he was in bad shape)

SID

Quote Originally Posted by ripsid
    Solid,
    Here goes I do a variation of Mentzer's and it's more like Dorian's...
    *based of what you just posted*
    Day 1
    >>>Warm up with leg extensions 4 sets with last one to failure
    Squat
    >>>>135 -20 225-15 315- 10 405 - failure
    Bench Press or Dips
    >>>>I use DB's 1st 2 sets are warmups and the 3 or 4thwill be to failure.
    I do it for Inclines and then Flat bench and decline followed with cables
    Rows
    Abs

Day 2
    Deadlift >>>3 warmups and last to failure
    Overhead Press>>>I use db's (arnolds) 5 sets with last 3 to failure
    Chinups >>>>4 set's all to failure, then BB row 4sets
    Abs

It's the theory of HIT that's awesome, everything is based of a 4 2 4 cadence 4 sec sup 2 sec hold 4 secs down. It's very intense! I did legs at lunch today and I'm struggling walking arond the office. PM me if you want to see the details of the workout because it is a 5 day workout as apposed to Mentzers who is 1 every 6 days. I have a video where he's killing an ifbb pro. (it was his last video before he died, and he was in bad shape)

SID
    Looks good dude. I am going to change mine to something similar to that. So do you do both of these workouts once per week, once every 6 days, 5 days, or what??? I was thinking of using a similar split and doing it on a Monday Thursday split, sound ok???

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I go like this, usually that is:
    Mon - legs
    tues - chest
    wed - back
    thurs - shoulders > calves also
    friday - arms

It's a variation of Mentzers' leaning toward Dorian's. I tell you what as long as you make sure you go to failure and you're strict with your form you'll really feel it! I do the best I can, without a partner, and I stress form and flexing at the pec of contraction. Never let the weight just sit, constant CONTROLLED motion is the key! You'll notice strength, and muscle gain by this. My week points are becoming stronger and this is just in a few weeks of use. In my opinion Mentzers way would benefit, someone who's at his peak and needs something more. Like I said before it's once every 6 days and sometimes more. If you can get one of his videos and see the pain he puts the guys through. I have more info, I'll get to you later....

SID

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    yea you really shouldnt do a full body workout for so long 2wice a week like you have it setup...most people do that workout for like 2 or 3 weeks max to get there body back into lifting after beeing out for awhile...just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by hellapimpin
    yea you really shouldnt do a full body workout for so long 2wice a week like you have it setup...most people do that workout for like 2 or 3 weeks max to get there body back into lifting after beeing out for awhile...just my 2 cents
    Yea, Ill just use this week as an experiment week, next week Ill be adjusting some things. I going to keep it simple, short, and sweet.

Thread Information