Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By charger69

Thread: Rest Interval Length

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Rest Interval Length

There has been a lot of discussion of time between sets. I will provide some references, studies and information. I personally am of the mindset that you need to mix things up to shock your body. I welcome all comments for and against. I am not a know it all, but I have been lifting for over 35 years and have tried about everything. People also react differently. I see a lot of bro science saying one is better than the other. I think the best is scientific with a little bro science.
    I will put these into 3 categories:
    1) 30 seconds or less
    2) moderate- 60-90 seconds
    3) long inured or more

Research demonstrates that the RIL ( Rest Interval Length) has an effect on the acute response to resistance training. I believe that the responses can be hypothesized to hypertrophic adaptation.

Short RIL have been shown to increase metabolic accumulation. Ratamess and collegues found that training volume is is reduced by 50% over the course of 5 sets through using 30 second rest intervals. Decreased load was see. The following set.
    All of this means that metabolic enhancement is achieved at the expense of reduced mechanical tension, resulting in the need for progressively reduced amount of loading over subsequent sets to sustain performance within a given rep range.
    Long RIL provided a sustained ability to maintain mechanical tension throughout each subsequent set. NOTE: strength capacity is largely preserved over 3 sets with RIL of 3 minutes or more. (1) (2)
    Moderate RIL can be said to provide a compromise between metabolic stress and mechanical tension. A hypertrrophy type workout where people rested90 sec between sets showed greater increases in blood lactate concentration and reduction in ph compared to 5 minute rest periods. (3)
    What does all of this mean???
    Rest periods of 60-90 sec induce a favorable metabolic environment for achieving hypertrophy, research indicates that resting at least 2 minutes between sets provides a hypertrophic advantage compared to shorter rest periods because of the ability to maintain greater volume.

References
    1-Kidgell,DJ,Sale,mV, and Semmler.
    2-Ramess, NA, Falvo, MJ, Mangine, GT, Hoffman, JR, Faige Baum, AD,and Kang
    3- Nickelson
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...3/#!po=83.7662

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Obs likes this.

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    What about over 2 minutes for hypertrophy no effect the longer the rest period is? You retain more strength over time with longer rest time between sets and you can do more volume

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    What about over 2 minutes for hypertrophy no effect the longer the rest period is? You retain more strength over time with longer rest time between sets and you can do more volume

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    The problem is the lack of studies however Ahtiainen did a study of 13 resistance trained young men with 2 or 5 minutes between sets and there was no significant difference. The hypertrophy was measured via MRI.

EDCG19 likes this.

Trott is offline New Member
    I've seen a video a couple of weeks or so that recommends 1-2 minutes of rest between sets and it said it was based on a 2015 study. I can't find the video any more for the life of me...

Quote Originally Posted by Trott View Post
    I've seen a video a couple of weeks or so that recommends 1-2 minutes of rest between sets and it said it was based on a 2015 study. I can't find the video any more for the life of me...
    There were a number of studies but I got lazy typing.

Thread Information