Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Decline bench

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member

Decline bench

Any benefits to keeping the decline bench in?
    I prefer flat, incline with dumbbells or barbells

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post

I get a better lower chest workout from decline than any other bench exercise

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member

The decline bench focuses on the bottom portion of the lower pecs. IMO it better serves a bodybuilder than a normal lifter. That is not to say that I wouldn’t recommend at some point in a routine for an athelete.
    I would take it out if that is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    I get a better lower chest workout from decline than any other bench exercise
    You think decline can help change the chest? I used to train only powerlifting and strongman based training with tons of volume for my accessory work. Strongman training consisted of heavy carrying work like farmers, tires and sleds
    Would decline change the barrel chest?

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    The decline bench focuses on the bottom portion of the lower pecs. IMO it better serves a bodybuilder than a normal lifter. That is not to say that I wouldn’t recommend at some point in a routine for an athelete.

I have done declines before a while back but so far I have been sticking only to incline and flat for bench movements with some machine work similar to the bench press but they're machines

Obs
    You think decline can help change the chest? I used to train only powerlifting and strongman based training with tons of volume for my accessory work. Strongman training consisted of heavy carrying work like farmers, tires and sleds
    Would decline change the barrel chest?

It will make you thicker at the bottom.

Incines for upper flat for mid and decline for lower.
    Decline is my favorite bench exercise so go figure I dont have one at my gym.

As far as the barrel chested thing do you mean just thicker in general or at the bottom only?

It will make you thicker at the bottom.

Incines for upper flat for mid and decline for lower.
    Decline is my favorite bench exercise so go figure I dont have one at my gym.

As far as the barrel chested thing do you mean just thicker in general or at the bottom only?
    At the top. I dont train decline tbh since it's not used in powerlifting but im looking at changing my whole program. I have two weeks left on what I have been doing and a few days ago I decided I'm looking at more of a body building type of split for 4 days a week rather than my regular program I have been doing (its 5/3/1) if you have heard of it. I know this is mostly a bodybuilding forum

Anyway lower chest isn't developed
    This picture should explain the barrel chest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main-qimg-3b3f40d1a7af4fa03495e867c6c812d9.jpeg 
Views:	144 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	174954

Obs
    At the top. I dont train decline tbh since it's not used in powerlifting but im looking at changing my whole program. I have two weeks left on what I have been doing and a few days ago I decided I'm looking at more of a body building type of split for 4 days a week rather than my regular program I have been doing (its 5/3/1) if you have heard of it. I know this is mostly a bodybuilding forum

Just throw more mass on it is all I can imagine.
    Yes I think deline would make someone with that type of frame look enormous. Lower chest exercises
    Give you the overhang off your rib cage making you appear wider and thicker. Pullovers are supposed to help as well.

The regular bench works both the bottom and upper chest. I always believe in hitting the muscle from different angles to try and work all of the muscles in an area.
    The fact that you have never implemented declines in your routine, Should give you results.
    Just if you are going tomfailure have a spotter. I almost choked myself out.

The regular bench works both the bottom and upper chest. I always believe in hitting the muscle from different angles to try and work all of the muscles in an area.
    The fact that you have never implemented declines in your routine, Should give you results.
    Just if you are going tomfailure have a spotter. I almost choked myself out.

I have done decline before just not how do I say in every bench workout

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member

It hits entire pec better than flat or incline

that's why it's easier to move more weight on the decline because your entire peck is activated instead of just a portion of it

Incline presses will build the most-balanced-looking chest. Decline-pressing movements target only the lower pecs, leaving the upper chest underdeveloped.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads Opens a New Window.

PROSECUTION

Due to the angle of the clavicles, decline presses allow activation of both the lower and upper pecs, thus serving as the best exercise Opens a New Window. for total pec development.

EVIDENCE

To stabilize the weight overhead in an incline position, the lower-pec fibers must not contract fully. Because of the direction of the fibers making up the lower half of the pec, their contraction pulls the arms toward the feet.
    In a decline position, all fibers—including the clavicular fibers—are stretched at the bottom position of the decline chest press. Thus, even the clavicular or upper fibers of the pecs contract to push the bar up from a decline position.
    A study conducted at Wayne State College in Nebraska demonstrated that both upperand lower-pec fibers are engaged during decline press (-15 degrees) while only upper-pec fibers are engaged during incline press (+30 degrees).
    VERDICT

Decline bench presses Opens a New Window. induce greater overall activation of the pecs compared with the incline bench.

SENTENCING

Because of the structure of the pectoralis muscle, it can and should be trained at a variety of angles. When having to choose between incline or decline presses, be mindful that because the upper pecs are engaged during both incline and decline bench positions, while the lower pecs are only engaged during decline pressing, incline bench should not serve as the sole pec movement if full pec development is the goal.
    EDCG19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    It hits entire pec better than flat or incline

that's why it's easier to move more weight on the decline because your entire peck is activated instead of just a portion of it
    I saw that on the internet. Check a couple of other sights when you google, they will say the opposite.
    I rely on Arnold’s encyclopedia and other reputable gurus. Arnold does not even mention the decline when covering chest. It is classified under “other” chest exercises. He does call out incline and regular bench.
    Why don’t powerlifters have weak lower pecs? Because the bench covers the lower pecs and it is amplified when they arch their back.
    If the decline was so important, why wouldn’t Obs’s franchise gym have one?
    Now that I have said that, I am in agreement with everyone of using the decline, but I also compete.

EDCG19 likes this.

I saw that on the internet. Check a couple of other sights when you google, they will say the opposite.
    I rely on Arnold’s encyclopedia and other reputable gurus. Arnold does not even mention the decline when covering chest. It is classified under “other” chest exercises. He does call out incline and regular bench.
    Why don’t powerlifters have weak lower pecs? Because the bench covers the lower pecs and it is amplified when they arch their back.
    Now that I have said that, I am in agreement with everyone of using the decline, but I also compete.

I actually saw an interview with Arnold recently in his older age where he advocated the decline more than anything times change people's opinions change I don't know but you can't hurt putting all three together

I actually saw an interview with our recently in his older age where he advocated the decline more than anything times change people's opinions change I don't know but you can't hurt putting all three together
    As I said- I agree. I guess I got carried away because I agree to add it.
    Damn boy- you responded quick!

SocioMachiavelli is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yeah.... I was just going to jump in and say that decline works the whole pec. This is something I have seen Dorian Yates and Milos Sarcev talk about in an interview and in Milo's secrets of the pro's. I don't do incline or flat bench normally, I do decline bench and then use the dumbbells for flat/incline work.

Quote Originally Posted by SocioMachiavelli View Post
    Yeah.... I was just going to jump in and say that decline works the whole pec. This is something I have seen Dorian Yates and Milos Sarcev talk about in an interview and in Milo's secrets of the pro's. I don't do incline or flat bench normally, I do decline bench and then use the dumbbells for flat/incline work.
    To have a balanced chest, I would recommend adding the other two. Although the incline is the most focused of the three, you cannot get the muscle attention of the uppers like you do with the incline.
    I have started using incline almost every routine and now you can see the line separating the mid from the upper.
    Don’t forget to work the inner/ outer portion.

Damn boy- you responded quick!

It's cuzz I have 5 of cromputers

Obs

Because owners pick what equip goes in there.
    A couple of them have nothing but free weights for back.

Decline will take your bench up faster than anything too.

Obs
    Here is the answer for which exercise will hit the chest best of the three...

Which one are you supposed to be able to bench the most on?

Zackly.
    Now piss off
    EDCG19 likes this.

Here is the answer for which exercise will hit the chest best of the three...

Which one are you supposed to be able to bench the most on?

Zackly.
    Now piss off
    Ok Obs likes the decliNe! Decline it is!!
    Poor OP is probably wondering WTF?? LOL

Obs and Charlie67 like this.

SocioMachiavelli is offline Knowledgeable Member
    To have a balanced chest, I would recommend adding the other two. Although the incline is the most focused of the three, you cannot get the muscle attention of the uppers like you do with the incline.
    I have started using incline almost every routine and now you can see the line separating the mid from the upper.
    Don’t forget to work the inner/ outer portion.

I don't subscribe to the belief you need to bench in all 3 positions, you need to do chest work in all 3 yes.. but not specifically bench. So I use either machines, cables or dumbbells in the flat or incline positions.
    EDCG19 likes this.

Obs
    Ok Obs likes the decliNe! Decline it is!!
    Poor OP is probably wondering WTF?? LOL

I aimed that at you arnold sympathizer. You hurt my feelings with that why doesnt obs's gym have one....

Its because they suck penises

Quote Originally Posted by SocioMachiavelli View Post
    I don't subscribe to the belief you need to bench in all 3 positions, you need to do chest work in all 3 yes.. but not specifically bench. So I use either machines, cables or dumbbells in the flat or incline positions.
    Agreed. During bulk I like the compound movements.

I aimed that at you arnold sympathizer. You hurt my feelings with that why doesnt obs's gym have one....

Its because they suck penises
    I knew I would get a comment out of you on that. However, make your own decline
    Go to a smith machine or squat rack, put something under the bench on one end and......Obs’s gym now has a decline.
    Us poor boys has to be creative because we had limited resources.

Obs likes this.

Obs
    I knew I would get a comment out of you on that. However, make your own decline
    Go to a smith machine or squat rack, put something under the bench on one end and......Obs’s gym now has a decline.
    Us poor boys has to be creative because we had limited resources.

I did it once. I threw weights everywhere making a scene putting it up.

4 benches on 0 decline.

That is poor life choices and drugs that caude decisions like that.
    EDCG19 likes this.

4 benches on 0 decline.

LMAO!!

Obs likes this.

4 benches on 0 decline.

I had to make a decline for dumbells at home.

I really want a decline bench.

I really want a seated leg press too.

Go fund me time.
    Obs likes this.

Old Duffer is offline Senior Member

4 benches on 0 decline.

Are you insinuating that drugs are a bad life choice?
    Obs likes this.

Gallowmere is offline Knowledgeable Member
    From a comparison standpoint, it makes sense to me that decline would hit the pectorals more in general. I often use dips (weighted and not) as an accessory, and I definitely feel those in the chest more than anything.

Hmmm...fuck a decline bench. I clearly need to learn to learn to bench while hanging upside down from a pullup bar. I feel the CrossFit crowd would approve.
    Obs and charger69 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    From a comparison standpoint, it makes sense to me that decline would hit the pectorals more in general. I often use dips (weighted and not) as an accessory, and I definitely feel those in the chest more than anything.

Hmmm...fuck a decline bench. I clearly need to learn to learn to bench while hanging upside down from a pullup bar. I feel the CrossFit crowd would approve.
    Decline takes the stress off the shoulders and activates the chest more
    I also do dips

Obs likes this.

Decline takes the stress off the shoulders and activates the chest more
    I also do dips

Attachment 174973

Make shift DB decline.

Drilled holes in lat machine seat post to hold lat machine leg hold to front of seat post holder. Bring cheap decline Walmart bench to front.

Bam. Decline for under $50.
    Obs likes this.

Stalker3060 is offline Junior Member
    When you guys decline what angle do you set the bench ? Just as low as it goes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker3060 View Post
    When you guys decline what angle do you set the bench ? Just as low as it goes ?
    The benches at my gym are predetermined. I think they are at -30 degrees.

The benches at my gym are predetermined. I think they are at -30 degrees.

210°,....

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    210°,....
    150°

There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    150°

I guess , it's half a dozen one way or the other
    Obs likes this.

Attachment 174993

I stand firm at 210°.
    Obs likes this.

Proximal is offline Banned
    As said above, much better for the shoulders.

Far less impingement, better choice for the later years.
    EDCG19 likes this.

Attachment 175003

Grabbed this up off eBay with black Friday coupon fir 140. With cap barbell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information