Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Quester
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience

Thread: Hitting muscles twice a week

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member

Hitting muscles twice a week

Anyone else feel the same benefit from hitting the same muscles twice a week. Lets say you hit chest today and tomorrow you can add some additional bench press or some kind of machine like machine press, pec deck, flys etc.. .and what ends up happening from those twice a week workouts is you recover much better (faster) rather than hitting the same muscle group once a week or once every other week depending on what you're doing ,..

Arcânn is offline Associate Member
    You're probably far more experienced than I am, and obviously different things work for different people, but for me personally, hitting each group twice a week is better than once a week.

My personal sweet spot is doing the traditional 3-day split, but I train 2 days on and 1 day off.

For example:

Monday - Legs
    Tuesday - Chest, triceps, shoulders
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Back, biceps, forearms
    Friday - Legs
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - Chest, triceps, shoulders

And so on........so my weekly schedule kinda varies every week. And every week, I have one group that only gets worked once that week, but it's still often enough for me with a long enough recovery period.

This has yielded better results for me than anything I've ever done. I don't think I could possibly grow much on hitting everything once a week, even if the workouts are more intense that one time a week.

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member
    It is better to hit the same muscle group twice per week. Where you are going wrong, is you don't want to do it on consecutive days.
    It only takes 2-4 days to recover from a workout, especially on gear (even moreso if you are in a caloric surplus), so hitting that muscle group again in the same week makes sense. BUT you need to give it enough time to recover.
    My favorite weekly routine:
    Mo: push
    Tu: pull
    We: legs
    Th: push
    Fr: pull
    Sa: legs
    Su: rest
    Second favorite:
    Mo: full body
    Tu: LISS
    We: upper body
    Th: lower body
    Fr: upper body
    Sa: lower body
    Su: rest
    I do not do bodybuilding splits anymore. Once a week is not enough even when I was natty.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

SocioMachiavelli is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I don't think that would work for me, especially one day after the other. With the intensity that I try to maintain, there is no way I could hit chest the day after.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've seen the consecutive days thing before but on the following day the muscle is worked very lightly to encourage recovery. That second day, for that muscle, is outside of the regular workout, kind of like stretching cardio.
    Obs likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    I've seen the consecutive days thing before but on the following day the muscle is worked very lightly to encourage recovery. That second day, for that muscle, is outside of the regular workout, kind of like stretching cardio.
    Active recover, where by the muscle is lightly worked out to encourage a bit more inflammation which helps in protein recycling. I haven’t kept up with the research much so I don’t know how well or defined the effect really is. When I was doing physiology as a profession it was a fairly new and under studied at that time. One paper would say one thing then another would say another. Much like where whole body cryo therapy is at the moment. At least the last time I checked
    Quester likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EDCG19 View Post
    Anyone else feel the same benefit from hitting the same muscles twice a week. Lets say you hit chest today and tomorrow you can add some additional bench press or some kind of machine like machine press, pec deck, flys etc.. .and what ends up happening from those twice a week workouts is you recover much better (faster) rather than hitting the same muscle group once a week or once every other week depending on what you're doing ,..
    My training frequency is higher, personally.

But, really, it depends on your goals.

I'm not a mass-monster... and there aren't many (true) mass monsters utilising that high degree of frequency.
    Exceptions being those utilising active rest protocols, those using short-term overload protocols to catalyse a unique adaptive response etc.

But... yea... it can be viable, depending on your purpose, goal(s), and incorporation/execution.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

EDCG19 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    Active recover, where by the muscle is lightly worked out to encourage a bit more inflammation which helps in protein recycling. I haven’t kept up with the research much so I don’t know how well or defined the effect really is. When I was doing physiology as a profession it was a fairly new and under studied at that time. One paper would say one thing then another would say another. Much like where whole body cryo therapy is at the moment. At least the last time I checked
    Reason why I brought it up basically, not sure about any research papers but even if you're sore the next day getting blood flow into the muscle again through lighter weight will warm up the sore area, fill it with blood and you'll recover faster. Kind of like using active recovery but instead of doing another body part while DOMS is in play why not add in some additional work the next day to get blood into the area (if it hurts its still worth it if you can maintain the same form without too much pain, i like the DOMS training)

Thread Information