Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GearHeaded

Thread: Rpe?

HoldMyBeer is offline Productive Member

Rpe?

So an RPE or 10 you hit failure on the last rep, 9 you leave 1 rep in the tank, 8 you leave 2, etc.
    Butttt..... if you have a program that says do 4 sets of 8 at an RPE of 8. You do 8 reps on the first set and leave 2 in the tank. Nailed it, RPE of 8 on the first set. But by the time you get to your second or third set you will no longer have those reps in the tank, so you are no longer lifting at an RPE of 8. You COULD lower the weight, but that sounds terrible. How is this usually handled? Does an RPE of 8 just mean on the first set?

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    Rpe?

Quote Originally Posted by Couchlockd View Post
    Rpe?
    Rated Perceived Exertion

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

GearHeaded is offline BANNED
    when I first started programming for clients I used RPE scales . problems like your question always came up. the issue is its "perceived" excertion. and this differs from client to client. and even with some clients it differs from day to day . one day an RPE of 8 might be benching 225 for 12 reps (and 15 reps is failure) but on a low carb day that same client can't even hit 12 reps on a max effort attempt (or perhaps on a day they had bad sleep the night before).
    this really made for lots of inconsistency in peoples programming and lots of questions coming my way from clients.

I then switched to using RIRs and working sets and non working sets. RIR = reps in reserve. as well as intensity techniques where reps are calculated past failure , PF = past failure.
    so their program may call for a non working set with an RIR of 4 (in a rep range of 15-20). they are going to take that set 4 reps or so before failure.
    then they may have a hard working set where they have a PF of 2 (usually this is equated along side an intensity technique, like an RP.. RP = rest pause).
    so lets say a lat pull down has two working sets with a PF of 2 using the RP technique in a 15-20 rep range. they will do that exercise to complete failure, and then using rest pause they will do 2 more reps beyond failure.
    however working up to those working sets on that exercise they may have 3 sets with an RIR of 3 (so they went to say 13 reps when their failure point was about 16 reps).

this may sound complicated.. but when its all put down on paper and visualized , my clients have found it way easier then messing with RPE scales. it also allows me to better calculate over all volume and then be selective on our overload and intensity sets.

just my 2 cents on this.
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHeaded View Post
    when I first started programming for clients I used RPE scales . problems like your question always came up. the issue is its "perceived" excertion. and this differs from client to client. and even with some clients it differs from day to day . one day an RPE of 8 might be benching 225 for 12 reps (and 15 reps is failure) but on a low carb day that same client can't even hit 12 reps on a max effort attempt (or perhaps on a day they had bad sleep the night before).
    this really made for lots of inconsistency in peoples programming and lots of questions coming my way from clients.

I then switched to using RIRs and working sets and non working sets. RIR = reps in reserve. as well as intensity techniques where reps are calculated past failure , PF = past failure.
    so their program may call for a non working set with an RIR of 4 (in a rep range of 15-20). they are going to take that set 4 reps or so before failure.
    then they may have a hard working set where they have a PF of 2 (usually this is equated along side an intensity technique, like an RP.. RP = rest pause).
    so lets say a lat pull down has two working sets with a PF of 2 using the RP technique in a 15-20 rep range. they will do that exercise to complete failure, and then using rest pause they will do 2 more reps beyond failure.
    however working up to those working sets on that exercise they may have 3 sets with an RIR of 3 (so they went to say 13 reps when their failure point was about 16 reps).

this may sound complicated.. but when its all put down on paper and visualized , my clients have found it way easier then messing with RPE scales. it also allows me to better calculate over all volume and then be selective on our overload and intensity sets.

just my 2 cents on this.
    Nope, made sense to me. Thanks

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Thread Information