Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tarmyg

Thread: Reducing tendon / hand pain to optimize training

fiddlesticks is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Reducing tendon / hand pain to optimize training

I feel like this is a hugely underlooked thing that makes an incredible difference on how many reps you can do. The first thing that gives out for me is always my wrist and forearm area especially during heavy bench press or such, I always pad the bar and wrap most of my forearm and wrist/hand. You end up feeling the same amount of pain but it's in the muscle as opposed to the wrapped areas.

It isn't just training either, I notice this helps in pretty much any physical activity in general, be it working or whatever, there's a much better mental connection.

Chrisp83TRT is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    I feel like this is a hugely underlooked thing that makes an incredible difference on how many reps you can do. The first thing that gives out for me is always my wrist and forearm area especially during heavy bench press or such, I always pad the bar and wrap most of my forearm and wrist/hand. You end up feeling the same amount of pain but it's in the muscle as opposed to the wrapped areas.

It isn't just training either, I notice this helps in pretty much any physical activity in general, be it working or whatever, there's a much better mental connection.
    Can you be a little but more specific ... Padding then at and wrapping your forearm etc..
    What kind of padding ?
    What kind of wrapping are you using ?

Sent from my JSN-AL00 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisp83TRT View Post
    Can you be a little but more specific ... Padding then at and wrapping your forearm etc..
    What kind of padding ?
    What kind of wrapping are you using ?

Sent from my JSN-AL00 using Tapatalk
    Nowadays I will usually just wrap the bar with a towel or something thick like that. I notice there's a very strong mental difference if you put your hands on a cold bar vs a much less cold wrapped one, it's a very large difference for me, I'm able to contract the muscles way better. Think about putting your hand in a cold bowl of water vs a warm one, it would be much easier to focus with the warm one. I actually first noticed this while working last year and it is pretty mind blowing how much of a difference something so minor makes.

For my hands I find a plain wrist wrap doesn't work very well because it cant really fit around the beginning of the top of my hand so I put a hole on the bottom end of a sock and use that instead, this works amazingly well because it's very tight and reaches over my elbows

tarmyg is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Not sure I understand, the temperature of the actual barbell makes a difference for you when lifting? What kind of climate do you live in and what is the, on average, temperature inside the gym you visit?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarmyg View Post
    Not sure I understand, the temperature of the actual barbell makes a difference for you when lifting? What kind of climate do you live in and what is the, on average, temperature inside the gym you visit?
    I noticed last year when I was working if I had to move something cold and heavy it was WAY harder than if it was warm or even if I just wrapped it in something. The mind to muscle connection is far better. The simple act of making sure I never touch anything very cold with my hands or even while wearing gloves has made it substantially easier to work outside in winter.

It isn't just the temperature though, its the combo of the cold making it harder to focus + intense pain in my hands and forearm tendons which I have noticed is definitely amplified from the coldness.

I live in ohio, I am not fucking kidding its snowing as im typing this.

Thread Information