Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Mooseman33
  • 1 Post By wango
  • 3 Post By charger69
  • 2 Post By NEMESIS RR

Thread: training as you get older...

training as you get older...

So you know...
    I am a 50yr old competetive powerlifter...

I train and compete with 20-30yr olds mostly.

Curious how y'all have changed your routines and drug use over the years.

I have found that I simply can't train as frequently or as intensely as the younger guys.
    I also use far less gear than many of them.
    (I don't think adding more more gear would allow me to train that much more often or intensely... I have done some bigger cycles in my past.)

I find that I have to max out far less often and get injured far more often.

Do any of you train with younger guys?
    Have any of you changed your training style?

Mooseman33 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    do u ever think about stopping the power lifting as u get older and switch to something more healthy?

Im mid 40's and trying to get smaller, carrying 240 is alot with age.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    DD, are you asking as to how to adapt to maintain your current competitive level or out of a concern to lessen wear and tear on your body and towards better care for your internal health?

Mid forties was totally different than late 40’s, early 50’s for me. Mid-fifties things changed/accelerated more, same with the onset of 60’s. Things definitely changing/accelerating even a bit more now at 63.

Started TRT at 57. First cycle at 60. Second cycle coming up, but my goals are so different than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman33 View Post
    do u ever think about stopping the power lifting as u get older and switch to something more healthy?

Im mid 40's and trying to get smaller, carrying 240 is alot with age.
    I love powerlifting and hope to continue competing for the foreseeable future.

I am 50yr and 220-230.
    It is a lot of weight on my 5'8" frame but I can't see cutting much below 210.

Quote Originally Posted by wango View Post
    DD, are you asking as to how to adapt to maintain your current competitive level or out of a concern to lessen wear and tear on your body and towards better care for your internal health?

Mid forties was totally different than late 40’s, early 50’s for me. Mid-fifties things changed/accelerated more, same with the onset of 60’s. Things definitely changing/accelerating even a bit more now at 63.

Started TRT at 57. First cycle at 60. Second cycle coming up, but my goals are so different than yours.
    More curious about how other hard core lifters have changed their routines and drug use over the years.

Thanks for letting me know that as I get older it is only gonna get harder.

Hughinn is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    So you know...

I have found that I simply can't train as frequently or as intensely as the younger guys.
    (I don't think adding more more gear would allow me to train that much more often or intensely... I have done some bigger cycles in my past.)

I'm in a similar situation as yourself.

My hobbies are freestyle wrestling, boxing, mma

I'm 43 and just turned to using AAS in the past year to keep up with younger guys. I also part time coach wrestling at a local recreational league to teenagers.

While I'm relatively new to AAS, I can say that it has helped alot. But also like yourself I don't use large amounts either.

I've found my recovery time is drastically shorter. Soreness goes away quicker and endurance is better. It's way easier to stay lean and cut fat with AAS for me. I haven't really tried to put on a bunch of muscle because it's not really beneficial to my hobby.

I have changed my training style a little since being a member here. Alot of you power lifting and bodybuilding guys have certain routines I've found help alot with joint and tendon strength. Isolation type work I never would have done before because I never wanted to add alot of overall mass.

I don't have to make weight anymore so I've started doing a little more isolation work like bodybuilding guys and found it really helps to strengthen tendon and joint functions. Lessening soreness and pain.

Although I've only really completed one full cycle I have experimented a little with various compounds.

I've found I like NPP for heavy workout times and primobolan for dieting and cardio periods. Trenoblone has intolerable sides for me. I don't do any orals because I like to drink whiskey and want to save my liver functions for the whiskey lol.

But I can comment as far as training and working out while getting older. Like you, I can't push as hard as often. I gotta keep the weigh a little lighter and putting on muscle mass is really hard.

But, I'll say, you look damn good for 50 dd. Whatever your doing is working.
    Last edited by Hughinn; 04-14-2021 at 11:57 PM.

AwareXx is offline Junior Member
    Wow, this is an interesting thread. I learned a lot reading this.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Wango is correct. Everything he said about 40’s and 50’s is holding true for me.
    I compete in bodybuilding so I understand DD.

My problem is I also officiate high school football and wrestling. 4 games in two days and I have difficulty walking because of my knees.

I also compete with the oldies and the young guys. I do lean more on AAS to improve some areas that I cannot just beat the crap out of anymore. Example: legs. I cannot just beat the crap out of them like I used to. I do beat them up, but as it is, I can’t walk very well 2 days after. I need a wall or something to help me get up after sitting down. I will use anadrol on leg day as well as nandrolone base. I only use them on leg day.
    My workouts have basically been higher reps however my desire to get bigger has resulted in lower reps than normal while bulking. This has caused issues with my delts and chest. Which are just recovering. You know things are screwed up when you feel something pull and you hear a sound like a stretched rubber band breaking. LOL
    I have tried to rely less on stimulants as I get older, however I do not know how that will work with my knee problems this year. As I get older, I expirement more to find out what works and what doesn’t.
    The frustrating thing is you get things dialed in and the following year you are back at expirementation because you don’t react the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Wango is correct. Everything he said about 40’s and 50’s is holding true for me.

My problem is I also officiate high school football and wrestling. 4 games in two days and I have difficulty walking because of my knees.

I also compete with the oldies and the young guys. I do lean more on AAS to improve some areas that I cannot just beat the crap out of anymore. Example: legs. I cannot just beat the crap out of them like I used to. I do beat them up, but as it is, I can’t walk very well 2 days after. I need a wall or something to help me get up after sitting down. I will use anadrol on leg day as well as nandrolone base. I only use them on leg day.
    My workouts have basically been higher reps however my desire to get bigger has resulted in lower reps than normal while bulking. This has caused issues with my delts and chest. Which are just recovering. You know things are screwed up when you feel something pull and you hear a sound like a stretched rubber band breaking. LOL
    I have tried to rely less on stimulants as I get older, however I do not know how that will work with my knee problems this year. As I get older, I expirement more to find out what works and what doesn’t.
    The frustrating thing is you get things dialed in and the following year you are back at expirementation because you don’t react the same way.
    Being that you do BB and I do powerlifting we do differ on some things but thank you.
    Exactly the info I was curious about.

A legend in powerlifting gave advice once for older powerlifters.
    He said that at our age we already have the base and not to worry about putting on much more size.
    Easier on the joints and longevity that way.

Being a BB you don't have that choice.

I do far less working sets and reps now on the big compound movements than I wish I could.
    Hell, I recently added in body weight lunges just to find a knee friendly way to pump my legs.
    I also have to warmup on an exercise bike for 5-10 minutes... ewwww
    For bench I have to warm up my rotator cuffs beforehand.

I recently got some deca to try again. (My first and only try was a disaster. Too much tren and test with the deca led to nipple issues.)
    I am waiting on my bi-annual bloodwork before adding in low dose deca for 4 months.

How much deca would you recommend for joint relief?

You might want to look into gel injections for your knees...

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post

You brought up something that really is a growing issue as the years progress. And that is dwindling energy for work. Or the work day effecting the energy for your workouts.

I have to wait till Summer break to really push it at the gym so I can get more sleep in the morning and nap occasionally during the day. During the school year, I’m like the walking dead sometime.

You know Charger, if you eventually have to replace one or both knees, you will still be able to kick ass in the gym. Competing is out of course because it wouldn’t be smart to wear out the knee replacements for aggressive leg work. I’m loving life with new hips, but am over cautious with them.

You also hit on the dilemma of going lighter to preserve your joints, but to compensate you have to up your reps. Then, that puts added wear and tear on your tendons and you are seeing that with your shoulders. One of my RC’s is almost gone, but the other can still be a pain. I personally don’t want to use deca as pain relief because honestly I want to know when my shoulder is hurting it so I can adapt my workout and not completely tear it like the other one.

Keep it up Charger, you are really an inspiration.

NEMESIS RR is offline Associate Member
    200mg of deca leads to a bloat for me. 150mg provides a lot of lubrication and takes away a lot soreness. 100mg does a bit less but still very effective. I'm trying 50mg a week now. It has helped a lot but not like the higher doses. The reason I'm running it so low is I'm trying to see if I can make it part of my healthy TRT program. In other words run as little gear as possible. Fyi I'm 50 and have destroyed my joint.

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deadlifting Dog View Post
    So you know...

Sure. 90% in the gym, are in their 20s.
    I needed to rule out squats, deads and bench. The big 3. Putting some weigths on at least.
    But as a 50 year old BB, i dont see it degrades my apperance, cause what you do in the gym, is just a Tiny part for a bodybuilder. And if u get the pump, you will be able to grow. Even if u have to rule out 2 plates and more on all exersises.
    Here i am this week, just running tbol and 400 sus. And Yeah, i had to rule out 2 plates and more 2 years ago.

Sent fra min BLA-L29 via Tapatalk

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    It's not worth it to me to lift heavy. I've had nagging injuries over the years that made me realize I like to be able to walk and use my arms for things other than lifting weights. Powerlifting, I never understood. I always said "lift a lot of weight... for what?" When is that power going to actually matter, and who even cares how much you lift? My whole thing is being able to prolong the amount of time I can lift and look good. Powerlifting always seemed like a destructive sport, to me. It's bad on the heart, blood vessels, joints, tendons, ligaments, etc. It's a sport that imo pushes the limits to the detriment of overall health.

Thread Information