• 2 Post By sv.elia
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 1 Post By sv.elia
  • 1 Post By sv.elia
  • 1 Post By popeyewhite

Thread: Lower back pain from abdominal exercises

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member

Lower back pain from abdominal exercises

I don't usually do ab exercises (at all), but I've been doing them with almost every workout for the past 3 weeks. My lower back has been bothering me, to the point I can't even do deadlifts.

I was using my benchpress and thought that's what was causing the pain, but even with the big inflatable ball/feet under dumbells, my back still hurts. I'm thinking the next thing I could try is the hanging leg lifts, with two straps attached to my pullup bar/machine.

Just curious if anyone else deals with lower back issues from situps.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Not really. I usually use ab work to warm up my core and lower back before legs or back.
    Try some gentle stretching and maybe a Rumble Roller or get someone to use an orbital buffer on your lower back. Of the pain isn't severe, try some unweighted hyperextensions, but do them smoothly....no jerky motions.
    Last edited by almostgone; 08-24-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    956Vette, BG and slfmade like this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Not really. I usually use an work to warm up my core and lower back before legs or back.
    Try some gentle stretching and maybe a Rumble Roller or get someone to use an orbital buffer on your lower back. Of the pain isn't severe, try some unweighted hyperextensions, but do them smoothly....no jerky motions.
    I haven't been to a gym since the lockdown, but I was looking at getting a Roman Chair or GHD machine to hyperextend my back. I will try the roller too. thanks

sv.elia is offline Thinkin' Bold
    My back dislikes situps as well, but I can do those on a soft surface (workout bench or bed) without problems:
    Lower back pain from abdominal exercises-image-asset.jpeg (don't know what they're called)

Other than that, I do knee/leg raises on the vertical bench.
    Lower back pain from abdominal exercises-vertical-leg-raise-parallel-bars-female.jpg

I have some lower back problems, but I don't get bothered while doing the exercises mentioned above^

I found that romanian deadlifts go softer on the lumbar vertebrae than stiff-leg deadlifts do. Also using a belt makes things way safer. Usually any back pain that I get goes away in 2 weeks of rest and after that I can start anew. Sometimes I feel I overload my bar, and if I would only let my ego aside I'd have less joint problems. But I always find it easier to lift 5 more kg than let the ego aside, so maybe I deserve my lower back pain, lol.
    Last edited by sv.elia; 07-17-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    “The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it. ” - Roseanne Barr

Quote Originally Posted by sv.elia View Post
    My back dislikes situps as well, but I can do those on a soft surface (workout bench or bed) without problems:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-asset.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	179551 (don't know what they're called)

Other than that, I do knee/leg raises on the vertical bench.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vertical-leg-raise-on-parallel-bars-female.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	179552

I have some lower back problems, but I don't get bothered while doing the exercises mentioned above^

I found that romanian deadlifts go softer on the lumbar vertebrae than stiff-leg deadlifts do. Also using a belt makes things way safer. Usually any back pain that I get goes away in 2 weeks of rest and after that I can start anew. Sometimes I feel I overload my bar, and if I would only let my ego aside I'd have less joint problems. But I always find it easier to lift 5 more kg than let the ego aside, so maybe I deserve my lower back pain, lol.
    That is the weird part, that I’ve been sitting on the big inflatable ball to do my abs, with my feet under weights. You would think that the softness of the ball would help. It seems just the left side of my lower back hurts and I feel like I’d like someone to just stand on my lower spine, like it needs cracked or something.

I think what you said about using a belt is a good idea. I have never used one in the past, but for traditional deadlifts, it should help somewhat. I love Romanian deadlifts The thing is, I need something to target the legs a bit, so that is why I was doing regular deadlifts. I’m working out from home, so I don’t have access to the leg machines and squat rack. I never really did squats anyhow.

How are things back home with the gym and your workouts? Are they open?
    sv.elia likes this.

bomb_r2 is offline Associate Member
    Hey bud you may want to get an mri or xray . U could have what I do where your spine n hips meet is slightly pushed forward causing you pain . It's kinda like always being stiff in your lower back

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    How are things back home with the gym and your workouts? Are they open?
    They're open here, I'm crossing my fingers they won't do a second lockdown.

The belt is really good. I use it when I add weight to my exercises. And I keep it a few weeks until I'm confident I can do the exercise without the belt.

I've been using diclofenac to keep myself glued together. Recently I've had a coach recommend an anti-inflammatory for horses (not jokingly). Now I intend to go to a veterinary shop and get myself some, lol. Should be stronger.
    Last edited by sv.elia; 07-18-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Cylon357 likes this.
    “The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it. ” - Roseanne Barr

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    Is the diclofenac gel or tablet? I use the gel on my knee and it works like a champ.

I've heard about using horse liniment before but never tried it. Every that has brought it up loves it. And heck, veterinary drugs wouldn't be the most risky drugs we take...
    Diclofenac gel. Same here, I'm mostly using it on the lumbar spine and knees. Sometimes I get them heated with the hair dryer, lol.

I did some judo in my childhood and it's that coach that recommended the cabaline anti-inflammatory. He's really old, around 70 and still active, so I kinda trust the input given. And yeah, if I did clen and tren , what's some gel for horses..

It's supposed to be stronger, and it also comes in a bigger package at the relatively same price, sounds worth the try to me.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Ok, I got one, lol. It's indeed a tad stronger than my 50mg/g diclofenac gel.

Lower back pain from abdominal exercises-20200719_192442.jpg

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Calisthenics help me greatly

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    I don't usually do ab exercises (at all), but I've been doing them with almost every workout for the past 3 weeks. My lower back has been bothering me, to the point I can't even do deadlifts.

I was using my benchpress and thought that's what was causing the pain, but even with the big inflatable ball/feet under dumbells, my back still hurts. I'm thinking the next thing I could try is the hanging leg lifts, with two straps attached to my pullup bar/machine.

Just curious if anyone else deals with lower back issues from situps.
    It's kinda a thing in powerlifting circles to not do ab exercises like sit ups.
    The idea is that your core is meant to be a stablaizer and not a primary mover.
    Maybe try exercises like planks and birddogs.

Look into the Big Three exercises for your core.

I also like the ab wheel.

The bird dog is great for fixing lower back pain in some.
    Last edited by The Deadlifting Dog; 07-21-2020 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    Have you tried the.... horsey stuff yet? I can't tell if that is German or Dutch or ?? Not that it would really matter, I couldn't read it even if I knew the language

It is a bigger package that is for sure. If it works, why not? Mind you, if you start having a craving for oats and hay, start counting by stomping your feet, or look at a gate and think 'man, it would be fun to jump over that', maybe back the dose down...

I loled^

It's good though, gives a lot of relief. The vet seemed accustomed with people taking this, apparently it's a thing.

popeyewhite is offline New Member
    If your back hurts during abs exercises more then likely you need to look at your sit up technique. Film yourself doing, say 50 -100 reps, enough that you tire a bit and begin to lose form. I'll bet your back is doing far more work than it should. As the antagonist it should be completely unused as your abs retain a degree of tension through every rep.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

Thread Information