Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ashop

Thread: Exercises that hit outer head of tricep

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Exercises that hit outer head of tricep

Been noticing after arm day only the inner head of my tricep is sore. Wondering if there are any specific exercises that will actually target the outer head? I’m currently doing close grip bench on smith machine, overhead dumbbell extensions laying down, and push downs with rope.

I would imagine doing push downs with the rope would target the outer head best but honestly the only exercise that will get any part of my tricep sore is laying down overhead tricep extensions with a dumbbell.... if I don’t do those my triceps are not sore at all... it’s like the other movements don’t do anything for me.

Also, I need some tricep exercises that are easy on the elbows... I messed up the ulnare nerve on both elbows and they have never been right since. Triceps push downs with a bar really mess me up.... rope is more tolerable but I might run into an issue if I keep going with them.

Chark is offline Member
    V-bar cable pushdowns do anything for you? Seated smith push-downs? Good call on the elbows. Don’t do any exercise that hurts them. There’s plenty others.

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I really can’t tolerate any type of push down,
    Or overhead tricep extensions, but I can do them laying back with the bench at a slight incline... I don’t know why that is but it works for me.... I just never feel sore on my outer tricep.

popeyewhite is offline New Member
    If you mean the long head of the triceps then you want an exercise that you perform with your arms stretched over your head. Something like an incline French press. Make sure to keep full tension all the time. Use dumbbells in a hammer grip, keep them close together and lift as heavy as you can with good form under 8 reps.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Single handed cable tricep pulldowns, palms facing away from your body, as if you were doing a bicep curl. That's the only thing that really isolates the outer head for me.

i_SLAM_cougars is offline Banned- for my own actions
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    Single handed cable tricep pulldowns, palms facing away from your body, as if you were doing a bicep curl. That's the only thing that really isolates the outer head for me.
    Same here. This is the only one that really works. I think my arms are set kind of crooked at my elbows or something and it fucks everything up, because I can barely turn my wrists enough to do curls on a straight bar, and those reverse grip bench presses people do are out of the question

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    Same here. This is the only one that really works. I think my arms are set kind of crooked at my elbows or something and it fucks everything up, because I can barely turn my wrists enough to do curls on a straight bar, and those reverse grip bench presses people do are out of the question
    Yup, I can’t stand the straight bars for any exercise. I don’t even do the traditional benchpress, I use dumbbells.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I like the overhead triceps extension with a rope for a nice squeeze at the end.

popeyewhite is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by i_SLAM_cougars View Post
    It's the least likely to work. Greater degrees of shoulder elevation provides a greater stretch on the long head. Pushdowns hit the lateral head and medial head, not the long head. Some sort of overhead extension is needed.

Thread Information