Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone

Thread: Affordable plates

  1. #1
    99JT is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    391

    Affordable plates

    All the gyms in my are are closed so I decided to pick up a power rack, adjustable bench, and barbell. Now I'm looking for some affordable plates, and from somewhere that will ship quickly. Any recommendations?

  2. #2
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    24,085

    Affordable plates

    Where did you find a power rack? I’m probably gonna order one online. Dick sporting goods will let you order online and then pick up at the store. Most the dicks sporting goods are online pick up only now. Other then that try Walmart and see if they have any plates. I got lucky and found a local store here today that sold me some commercial equipment. They helped me load it up and took it home

  3. #3
    99JT is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    Where did you find a power rack? I’m probably gonna order one online. Dick sporting goods will let you order online and then pick up at the store. Most the dicks sporting goods are online pick up only now. Other then that try Walmart and see if they have any plates. I got lucky and found a local store here today that sold me some commercial equipment. They helped me load it up and took it home
    I bought the rack at a local store definitely over paid but it was their last one and I've been looking all week, dicks only shows 1 45lb plate in stock.

  4. #4
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    24,085

    Affordable plates

    Quote Originally Posted by 99JT View Post
    I bought the rack at a local store definitely over paid but it was their last one and I've been looking all week, dicks only shows 1 45lb plate in stock.
    Good job man. Some of the weights I bought I had to settle for something I wouldn’t normally buy but I knew I could make it work. Do you have a Walmart near you? I chose to go with the heaviest dumbbells I could find and figure I’ll just make them work for chest. I did that knowing that I can use them for do much more. Not to mention couldn’t find many plates. I bought some of those old school crappy weight filled with sand too. Figured I can use them like I would a bar bell at the gym for tri extension(skull crushers) etc. just had to make it work with what I could find. If you have to you might want to pull the trigger and order what you can from amazon before everyone else does

  5. #5
    99JT is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    Good job man. Some of the weights I bought I had to settle for something I wouldn’t normally buy but I knew I could make it work. Do you have a Walmart near you? I chose to go with the heaviest dumbbells I could find and figure I’ll just make them work for chest. I did that knowing that I can use them for do much more. Not to mention couldn’t find many plates. I bought some of those old school crappy weight filled with sand too. Figured I can use them like I would a bar bell at the gym for tri extension(skull crushers) etc. just had to make it work with what I could find. If you have to you might want to pull the trigger and order what you can from amazon before everyone else does
    I'm gonna take a guess Walmart is out, every fitness store I went to was literally empty even the display models were gone. Imo the plates don't really matter as long as they all weight the same, didn't skimp on the bar tho went with an elite fts, would have chose rouge but they were 7-10 days to ship.

  6. #6
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    24,085
    Quote Originally Posted by 99JT View Post
    I'm gonna take a guess Walmart is out, every fitness store I went to was literally empty even the display models were gone. Imo the plates don't really matter as long as they all weight the same, didn't skimp on the bar tho went with an elite fts, would have chose rouge but they were 7-10 days to ship.
    we may have to accept things taking some time to ship too

  7. #7
    99JT is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    we may have to accept things taking some time to ship too
    I here that just next business day is better than 7-10. At this point im hoping I still get mail. As long as my bar comes I'm good, I may have to rig up fine cinder blocks for weight but whatever works.

  8. #8
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    24,085

    Affordable plates

    Quote Originally Posted by 99JT View Post
    I here that just next business day is better than 7-10. At this point im hoping I still get mail. As long as my bar comes I'm good, I may have to rig up fine cinder blocks for weight but whatever works.
    You could use buckets of paint. I mean if we have to we just get creative. Maybe those kettle bells fit that bar who knows
    almostgone likes this.

  9. #9
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    21,987
    I got my cheapest plates at a Play It Again used sports equipment store. The best deal I got there was(4) brand new 100 pound plates @around 23˘/ pound. They had the things laying around forever and I made a habit of stopping by and kind of showing marginal interest in them. Finally they agreed on the price of I would buy something else, so I believe it was a lat pulldown bar ( if I recall correctly).
    Usually once you make your first purchase, they will tend to ease up on their prices.

    If you're buying a new piece of equipment online that is shipped common carrier, you can often get a new set of Oly plates for $100- $130. They're cheaper to buy when you already have something else on the truck. Normally, they won't stick you with shipping on the plates. They just stick them on a pallet and stretch wrap them to whatever you purchased.

    I've had luck on Craigslist as well. Found sets of 105, 110, 115, and 120 pound d'bells for $300.
    i_SLAM_cougars likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  10. #10
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    24,085
    Man i am so glad i went out today. I just got an email from Bestbuy. Starting tomorrow there store will be closed nationwide and offer online curbside assistance only.

  11. #11
    Windex's Avatar
    Windex is online now Staff ~ HRT Optimization Specialist
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arctic Circle
    Posts
    4,108
    If I am really clumsy and in a concrete basement, am I better off with metal plates or the ones coated in rubber? Not sure if I'm more likely to lose of a chunk of rubber or chip away at the metal ?
    I no longer check my inbox. If you PM me I will not reply.

  12. #12
    99JT is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    Man i am so glad i went out today. I just got an email from Bestbuy. Starting tomorrow there store will be closed nationwide and offer online curbside assistance only.
    Everything except essential businesses in NY are closing tonight. They deemed bars (take out only) and liquor stores essential tho.

  13. #13
    99JT is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    391
    Picked up 260lbs of Troy plates for 295 +150 shipping. Most places are out of stock, and theirs nothing locally within 100 miles. Total cost was just under $1500 could have gotten everything cheaper but given the situation i wasn't going to wait around plus nearly 400 of that was a good bar.

  14. #14
    Bio-Active's Avatar
    Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    L.A
    Posts
    24,085
    i have most of what i need want but i am going to order a power rack and a cable pulley system as well.

  15. #15
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    21,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Windex View Post
    If I am really clumsy and in a concrete basement, am I better off with metal plates or the ones coated in rubber? Not sure if I'm more likely to lose of a chunk of rubber or chip away at the metal ?
    I would look at the stall mats like the ones used in horse trailers. They're durable and will take mega- punishment.

    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...bber-stall-mat

    They usually put them on sale periodically.
    cylon357 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  16. #16
    99JT is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Windex View Post
    If I am really clumsy and in a concrete basement, am I better off with metal plates or the ones coated in rubber? Not sure if I'm more likely to lose of a chunk of rubber or chip away at the metal ?
    Either way I'd definitely get some stall mats like ag stated, seen them all over on FB marketplace. If your going to use metal plates I'd consider putting some plywood down under the stall mats.

  17. #17
    Windex's Avatar
    Windex is online now Staff ~ HRT Optimization Specialist
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Arctic Circle
    Posts
    4,108
    Thank you. I had no idea TSC = Tractor Supply Company. I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale because they are like $70 per mat. Amazon is a lot cheaper but a fraction of quality.

    There is a TSC in my city that opened a few years ago and I've been none the wiser.
    I no longer check my inbox. If you PM me I will not reply.

  18. #18
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    21,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Windex View Post
    Thank you. I had no idea TSC = Tractor Supply Company. I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale because they are like $70 per mat. Amazon is a lot cheaper but a fraction of quality.

    There is a TSC in my city that opened a few years ago and I've been none the wiser.
    They'll put them on sale periodically. Pretty sure Kel uses them as well in his setup.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •