• 1 Post By The Deadlifting Dog
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 1 Post By Chicagotarsier
  • 2 Post By charger69
  • 1 Post By KINGKONG

Thread: Building strength and loosing fat in a hybrid diet

Dorn Iron is offline New Member

Building strength and loosing fat in a hybrid diet

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this and offers their advice. I am 27. I have been lifting weights for around 14 years. Im not a master or guru by any means just always wanted to stay strong. Long story short marriage, kids, work, life I have gained weight since high-school. I've always been on the thicker side. I am on trt currently 200mg test c every two weeks. Working to get reusable vial so I can take 100mg per week. I also take multi vitamins, dhea, Vyvanse (prescription hdhd medication), and protein shakes on lifting days. I love lifting weights, hate cardio. Now that I have given some background is it possible or reasonable to loose fat and build muscle/strength by doing a hybrid diet. Eating in a 500 plus calories deficit on non training days and then eating maintenance or calorie surplus on training days? Or staying in a calorie deficit just supplying enough protein? Will my body use its stored fat to rebuild stronger foundation? Reconstitute my fat to muscle? Or should I put gaining strength and muscle aside and just focus on calorie deficit and hit cardio and let my strength and muscle go until I've lost adequate fat and then restart the muscle/strength building process?

What are your stats?
    Height, weight, bf%, squat, bench, deadlift....

It is very possible to lose bodyfat and gain muscle if you are obese and a newbie but...
    You state you have been lifting for 14yrs.

5ft5 310lbs I have no idea on BMI I know I'm fat guys my weight got out of control but I'll say I'm pretty fit for a fat guy. I can still run and jog. My Bench 365, squat 405, deadlift 405. My squats I could squat a lot more but It scares me to put too much stress on my spine. When I squat I tend to just do 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps with 225lbs after warm up just to keep lower body strength. I haven't lifted much in the past few years got married, had a baby. I just started getting back in the swing of things in January. Covid hit and shut down my gym for a bit and I've been back at it since my gym opened back up. There's not much information out there for guys in my scenario. Yes I'm obese but I'm not your run of the block obese guy.
    Last edited by Dorn Iron; 08-03-2020 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Corrected a misspelled word.

Thanks guys, I have been having labs done like crazy. Doctors are pretty fathomed. I have a perfect bill of health. My BP is between 108-120 on top and 60 to 80 on bottom. Everything is in line apart from test. That's how I'm on trt. I'm interested to see how much levels have changed since I got boosted to 200mg test c every two weeks rather than the last 200mg every 3 weeks they had me on. Unfortunately I've been through 2 doctors and 2 endos to get where I am. Over the last 6 months I've went from 50mg test per month all the way to 200mg every two weeks. I have pushed to get the 10 ml vial of 200mg/ml test c so that i can start more frequent injections and I can say with out a doubt that the more T and the more frequently I take it the better I feel. 6 months ago I felt like a weak tired old man that wasn't interested in anything except tv to actually feeling alive again. A couple days after injection I feel like a beast and it slopes off until the next injection. I know that low T has definitely played its part in helping me get to condition im in now but I know it was my fault too getting lazy and over eating after getting married and having a kid. I got comfortable being a husband and dad and neglected myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200803_144951.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	179664

Name:	20200803_145022.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	179665

Name:	Screenshot_20200803-144908_MyChart.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	179666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200803-144915_MyChart.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	275.5 KB 
ID:	179667Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200803-144922_MyChart.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	179668

These tests were from when I started trt.

Well...

Being on 100mg/week (I know.. 200mg/EOW)

You should be able to diet and hold onto your muscle.
    The most important thing is losing some weight.

I am a firm believe in cycling dieting and training.
    So maybe cut for two months and then maintain for one month.
    Rinse and repeat.

You really should find a doctor that let's you inject yourself.
    50mg twice a week is vastly superior to 200mg EOW.

If you are getting an amp then simply load four different syringes at once with it.

As far as hating cardio... try going on 3-4 brisk walks a day at 10-15 minutes each.
    KINGKONG likes this.

I do have all the symptoms of low T3 and T4. Its what originally got my to go to the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorn Iron View Post
    I do have all the symptoms of low T3 and T4. Its what originally got my to go to the doctor.
    I did not see any thyroid tests.

Is your TRT doctor a clinic or a regular GP?

I appreciate your advice, I do want more frequent shots. I'm hoping that will happen soon. I just finished up my last script and told the doc that I wanted a 10ml vial instead of a bunch of 1ml. He said he couldn't because insurance wouldn't approve it so I told him I'd just pay cash. With goodrx I can afford it.

TRT is an endocrinologist who has his own practice. Not a clinic, I can't afford the clinics here. If anyone knows an endo in Lexington, KY area who actually understands trt, that adverage test is not optimal, and as well as preventing peaks and valleys Id love their contact information.

I haven't saw the thyroid tests either, they told me is was normal about a year ago.

I appreciate your advice, I do want more frequent shots. I'm hoping that will happen soon. I just finished up my last script and told the doc that I wanted a 10ml vial instead of a bunch of 1ml. He said he couldn't because insurance wouldn't approve it so I told him I'd just pay cash. With goodrx I can afford it.
    If you get 1ml vials then simply buy extra needles and syringes online.
    Instead of injecting 1ml every other week.
    Inject 0.25ml twice a week.

I'm coming to you guys because I know that when it comes to health, fitness, body building, and strength yall are the best of the best. Google and even most doctors are so full of bs they don't know their ass from a whole in the ground. Their isn't much information for guys who are strong, obese, lift, and on test. Im not the run of the block fat guy. So is the general opinion at this point its best that I focus on loosing excess fat, stay in a calorie deficit, several 15 to 20 mins walks a day? What type of weights would yall recommend to help with the weight loss and maintaining the strength I have? I know I can drop lifting and eat a very high deficit and loose weight but I'm pretty sure ill loose a lot of muscle with that or will the trt help prevent the muscle loss if i go 1,200 cals a day with cardio? I am currently doing a mostly keto and intermittent fasting except for lifting days.
    Squatbutt likes this.

doctor and google says not to reuse single use vials or store test in a syringe for longer than a few hours. I thought this seemed like BS. So generally it is safe to break up the doses with single use vials?

doctor and google says not to reuse single use vials or store test in a syringe for longer than a few hours. I thought this seemed like BS. So generally it is safe to break up the doses with single use vials?
    a 1ml vial is the same technology as a 10ml vial except in baby size...

you'll be fine
    don't forget to use alcohol swabs

I'm coming to you guys because I know that when it comes to health, fitness, body building, and strength yall are the best of the best. Google and even most doctors are so full of bs they don't know their ass from a whole in the ground. Their isn't much information for guys who are strong, obese, lift, and on test. Im not the run of the block fat guy. So is the general opinion at this point its best that I focus on loosing excess fat, stay in a calorie deficit, several 15 to 20 mins walks a day? What type of weights would yall recommend to help with the weight loss and maintaining the strength I have? I know I can drop lifting and eat a very high deficit and loose weight but I'm pretty sure ill loose a lot of muscle with that or will the trt help prevent the muscle loss if i go 1,200 cals a day with cardio? I am currently doing a mostly keto and intermittent fasting except for lifting days.
    keep lifting.
    I would stay in the 6-15 rep range.
    slightly higher reps to help burn some calories.

The walks will burn calories for you.
    Walking a mile burns basically the same calories as running a mile.
    At your weight I would not run.

Diet is the single most important thing for your weight loss.
    Test Monsterone likes this.

I tried to post a body pick for yall to reference but I guess the file has too much data.

you can save the photo with less data then upload it.
    send it to yourself as an email attachment and select a smaller size??

Name:	20200803_180459.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	756.3 KB 
ID:	179671

Thanks, I got it to work.

I have very thick wide frame for someone so short. Oddly enough kind of like a dwarf from lord of the rings or some shit. I have something like a 60 inch chest.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Don’t worry about losing strength. Who are you trying to impress anyway, unless you compete in strength sports?

I wouldn’t even worry about lifting at your current physique. Do body weight stuff and some bands, and focus on your diet and cardio. Lifting heavy makes you hungry and breaks down muscle. You need calories to repair muscle, and if you are in a caloric deficit, it doesn’t make sense to break muscle down. Just do enough to get a little pump, but not enough to feel sore the next day. Diet and cardio, that’s all you need until you drop at least 30 lbs.
    Cylon357 likes this.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    Walked this same path and still walking it. If you are a normal American working 9-5 it is not an easy thing to do. My three big steps that gave me some success were:

1 hour walk/jog at 8 pm with no food allowed after.
    2 eat like a champ. You see it on every video and show. Chicken breast, broccoli, small starch. All that other crap lose it.
    3 set a goal for days straight on this campaign. Do it. Don't break the routine.

I am much healthier than I once was. Cannot be like the guys on here that are 5'7 and 180 because I am 6'4 and a tank. That doesn't mean my diet is any less than theirs or my workout subpar. Make the life change and good luck on the journey.
    Squatbutt likes this.

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member

Great advice above, cardio and strength training go hand and hand for fat loss , but take it easy on your body..light resistance or bodyweight exercise, and walks, easy on your joints cardio and clean diet are really important.your knees are very vulnerable under that much weight as said above, take it easy on them.remember the human body gets used to a certain caloric range then you have to change it..we adapt very easily and burn muscle as quick or quicker then fat as fuel so keep your carbs low your workouts long and heart rate low..burn fat not muscle, I suggest under 100 grams of good carbs a day veggies,low glycemic unprocessed carbs and protein all week, a cheat meal on Saturday, and maybe a fast on Sunday..that will really keep your body guessing and continuous fat loss..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KINGKONG; 08-04-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Thank you all for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    Oh and BTW, you might want to hop on over to The Lounge and check out the weight loss competition thread. There is one that is purely a pounds down thing, might be good motivation.
    Dorn Iron...

I second this suggestion.

Competition can be a great motivator.
    You have a lot of weight to lose and this could be the start of a new life for you.

charger69 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cylon357 View Post
    Oh and BTW, you might want to hop on over to The Lounge and check out the weight loss competition thread. There is one that is purely a pounds down thing, might be good motivation.
    Hey Dorn- you will see, everyone will root you on... except for your competition!! LOL

Gallowmere and KINGKONG like this.

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member

Quote Originally Posted by charger69 View Post
    Hey Dorn- you will see, everyone will root you on... except for your competition!! LOL

Except if you look sexier then Charger, then he gets testy
    No, great idea..Try out the comp..Really good people here to help and motivate you..

charger69 likes this.

Thread Information