Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 2 Post By Test Monsterone
  • 1 Post By Nerveblock67

Thread: How often do you train abs when cutting/bulking?

ascendant is offline Senior Member

How often do you train abs when cutting/bulking?

Personally, I only train my abs once a week, just like everything else. Always seemed to work for me, but considering trying to fit in a second day, even if it's a light day. It's hard, because I don't have enough hours in the day as it is, so to fit in abs means another muscle group on one of my current training days, or adding another one in. You guys think it's worth it? Have any of you personally noticed any significant difference with your abs by training them 2-3 times a week versus just once?

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    I'll be honest, I was one of those guys who bought into the notion that "you don't need to do abs, get abs in the kitchen bla bla bla." That's 17 years of training with that mindset. I did them here and there, but not consistently. Since I've been doing them 3 times a week, I'm seeing major improvements in the separation of my abs, whereas I before they were flatter. Even when my bf % is higher, they're bulging right under the surface.

I do one day of abs (4 sets of about 20-25, off and on with a weight ball - 12 lbs), then one day of planks. For planks, I position myself like I'm about to do a pushup and just hold it for 30 seconds, 1 minute, 1:30, and 2:00. That also works the core, legs, glutes, shoulders, etc.

Abs I do with one of those inflatable balls so it's great on my back. Put my feet under 75 lb hex rubber dumbells.
    ascendant likes this.

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post
    I'll be honest, I was one of those guys who bought into the notion that "you don't need to do abs, get abs in the kitchen bla bla bla." That's 17 years of training with that mindset. I did them here and there, but not consistently. Since I've been doing them 3 times a week, I'm seeing major improvements in the separation of my abs, whereas I before they were flatter. Even when my bf % is higher, they're bulging right under the surface.

I do one day of abs (4 sets of about 20-25, off and on with a weight ball - 12 lbs), then one day of planks. For planks, I position myself like I'm about to do a pushup and just hold it for 30 seconds, 1 minute, 1:30, and 2:00. That also works the core, legs, glutes, shoulders, etc.

Abs I do with one of those inflatable balls so it's great on my back. Put my feet under 75 lb hex rubber dumbells.
    Thanks for the info, but I'm more so curious about those who consistently train their abs once a week versus training them consistently 2-3 times a week. From what you explained, seems like you went from doing them rarely, to 3 times a week. I do train them consistently and hard once a week, but I'm just not sure if an extra time per week will really make much of a difference.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant View Post
    Thanks for the info, but I'm more so curious about those who consistently train their abs once a week versus training them consistently 2-3 times a week. From what you explained, seems like you went from doing them rarely, to 3 times a week. I do train them consistently and hard once a week, but I'm just not sure if an extra time per week will really make much of a difference.
    I see what you mean... well I would say that once a week is not enough because it's not an exercise where you do 3-4 different types of exercises per workout. You can try increasing the frequency for a couple of months and see if you notice any difference.
    ascendant and Highriskk like this.

Nerveblock67 is offline New Member
    I've done it several ways over the years and have had the most success hitting them 3x per week. I don't blow them up on any of the three days. Usually one intense superset per ab session. Currently my split is 5days per week. I hit abs three of the days and calves the other two.
    ascendant likes this.

Albedo121 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Test Monsterone View Post

I love this "Abs are made in the kitchen" haha. I've given that advice out of a while, doesn't seem like it was ever worth going hard on until you're under maybe 15% BF or so. Still important to your core so not to skip but don't be doing 100 crunches a day. When I start my first cycle I'll probably be doing them at least twice a week in a superset since I'm already a smidge under 15%.

wellshii is offline Member
    2-3x a week of direct ab work(Weighted decline sit-ups) or varying reps(anywhere from sets of 4to sets of 15.
    I just keep volume in check since of course squatting works abs too.

Thread Information