yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Are my hamstrings weak??

I have theory that maybe I have an imbalance in my legs that is causing me pretty bad knee pain. I do have some arthritis in my knees. I can only train legs a few weeks at a time before they give out. Kneeling or sitting with my knees bent is extremely painful. I have had X-rays and mri’s done on both of them and they showed nothing, just some arthritis.

I have always had tight hamstrings... probably a good 4” away from being able to touch my toes. And even if I stretch them, they seem to quickly tighten back up. I have never trained hamstrings directly until recently.

I’m not sure if it’s normal but it seems they are weak compared to my quads/glutes. Just for reference I could squat 315 for an easy 10 reps, front squat 275 for 5, but I struggle on the standing hamstring curl machine with one 25lb plate per side.

I’m tired of the knee pain and it interfering with me making progress with my leg training. I’m thinking if I make it a point to start stretching and heavily focus on building my hamstring strength it will help correct my knee pain. Are my hamstrings abnormally weak in comparison to my other leg muscles? And am I on to something as far as this being the cause of my knee pain?

IMO... stretching and strengthening your hammies will only help...

Many "injuries" are caused by tight muscles.
    Ex: sciatica is often caused by a tight muscle pressing on the sciatic nerve

Your hammies could easily be pulling your knees out of alignment.

Hard to guess what is causing your knee pain without an in depth description of your knee pain.
    And seeing your squat form and depth would help also.

yeahbuddy289 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I believe my squat form is solid but I’m sure there’s always room for improvement. But it’s not just training legs that causes the pain. From what the MRIs show its arthritis. I guess due to the way my patella moves made me more prone to getting it.

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    I am having a spur removed on my spine that is compressing a nerve. It causes the following issues:

1. left leg swollen and 1.3x the size of the rt leg.
    2. siatica down the outside of left leg
    3. left knee unable to bend 100% with pain

Sometimes it all leads to the spine and nerve compression. MRIs and a good Dr can help you pin it down.

AwareXx is offline Junior Member
    This is interesting, I have never been in your situation.

Thread Information