NotVinDiesel is offline New Member
    just outside the Loop but not far from the lake

Injured erector spinae this morning! Ow! Help! Ow!

I was at the gym this morning doing back and decided to go back to doing deadlifts, which I haven't done for weeks. Did a warm up set at 220 for 12 reps. Was on a second warm-up set and on the 8th rep started to come up and felt something pop in my lower back. Bar dropped, I crumbled to the floor. A trainer came and helped stretch me out a bit, I hit the whirlpool and I've been gimping around all day.

This happen to anyone else? I need advice and help a.s.a.p cuz' this is killin' me. I get in and out of cars all day and this just ain't workin'.

redrock is offline Member
    I did the same thing on barbell row. Moved to deads, was warming up and felt a pop/pinch in my lower back. 6 weeks later it's feeling a lot better but still probably 1-2 months away from working out with free weights. I can do light machine work. If it's not a disc problem and just a tear or strain, heat will help, lay off everything for 2-3 weeks then hit the cardio. Only my opinion but it's helped me. REDROCK

Thanks redrock. Anybody else with some experience and advice?

Stretching aggravated it and put me in the hospital!

So I go to the gym again yesterday, just to stretch it out and get in the whirlpool. I'm on one of the stretchng balls on my stomach and I start to rotate back off of it when I tensed up and aggravated it again! Fell of the ball and spent 20 minutes lying on the ground trying to pull myself up.

Finally a couple of trainers helped me to the massage table. Paramedics came and got me to the hospital where I was found to have strained the erector spinae and possibly caused some slight ligament damage of my lower back. Currently I've got plenty of pain pills and such to help me be able to stand.

slick1921 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NotVinDiesel
    I was at the gym this morning doing back and decided to go back to doing deadlifts, which I haven't done for weeks. Did a warm up set at 220 for 12 reps. Was on a second warm-up set and on the 8th rep started to come up and felt something pop in my lower back. Bar dropped, I crumbled to the floor. A trainer came and helped stretch me out a bit, I hit the whirlpool and I've been gimping around all day.

This happen to anyone else? I need advice and help a.s.a.p cuz' this is killin' me. I get in and out of cars all day and this just ain't workin'.
    its called going to the doctors..

Brian1200 is offline Junior Member
    Did they give you an MRI? It may be a possibility you herniated or ruptured a disk, or possibly have a Lumbar Strain, I ruptured a disk a while back, I was in immense pain, I could not get out of bed the next morning, I delt with the pain for a while until I could not handle it anymore, then my Chiropractor suggested that I get an MRI, I had a ruptured disk, I had the surgery this Febuary, after the surgery I could hardly walk, now I am doing much better, it will still take another yr before it is healed as much as its going to be healed, take it easy, you only have one back, take care of it, when you get to the gym leave your ego at the door, and train smart and with super good form, trust me, if you are having sciatic nerve pain running down your leg and your foot is numb or tingly, it is a high possibility you have a protruding disk, take a couple of weeks off and see how you feel, trust me you dont want to end up like me.

MR.BICEPS is offline Junior Member
    I did this with bent rows and herniated two disk. Hopefully you did not because I had to have surgery afterwards and it hurts me every freaking day!!!

Update: First off, slick1921, it's called reading before posting - you'll read in my post that the paramedics took me to the hospital. I had X-rays taken there, and they showed no fracture or actual disc problems which is a positive. The back is doing a little better, and it's taken every bit of pride swallowing not to try and go to the gym and do something. I've got a Vegas trip in two weeks I'm trying to be in tip-top appearance for.

Just finished off the last of the vikes they gave me today, and I want to call the doctor for one small refill, cuz the pain isn't gone enough that I can just stand up when I want to, but I don't want him to think I just want vicodin to have vicodin, you know? Anyway, thanks to all for the comments and experience stories, I will (try to) take it easy as best as possible.

Thread Information