• 1 Post By tbjake34
  • 1 Post By redz
  • 2 Post By Cylon357
  • 2 Post By tempest818
  • 1 Post By almostgone

Thread: Elbow pain with push and pull movements

tempest818 is offline Associate Member

Elbow pain with push and pull movements

Imagine your right arm extended in front of you palm up. Left side of that inner elbow area, where the forearm and bicep meet (tricep too right?). Hurts when I’m curling and benching the most. Shoulder presses too. And feels a little painful on pull-downs.

I try to use good form on everything but I like to take full ROM a step further and overextend things, like my damn arms.

Can I just chalk it up to getting too jacked too quickly? Or what? Lol jk.

I also use narrow grip on everything. Including bench and shoulder press. What could it be, what can I do? I’m about to go into the gym.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    U can get temporary relief for cortico steroids . Sounds like golfers elbow. I have it on my right arm shit is extremely annoying. Stretching it out helps and deep tissue helps some but not alot. Not much u can do other then that
    Cylon357 and XnavyHMCS like this.

s1nc1ty is online now Member
    It sounds like golfers elbow. Its a bitch and takes like a year to go away. Just do exeecises that dont agitate it. And train forearms. Stronger forearms= less likely for it to reoccur. Wrist curls / reverse wrist curls and side to side leverage bar work work that area good. There is also some electromagnetic therapy to help but i think its through doc or physiotherapyst.

Its pretty common stuff but yeah. Its a bitch and takes long time to go away. After a year+ im at a poont i can comfortably do most exercises again but it still hasnt completely dissapeared, hidingbsomewhere deep in therr and if i overdo then it starts giving a feel again alittle bit
    NiceGuyResearcher likes this.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Agree with what's been said. If it hurts, don't do it. Get the rubber exercise tubes with the handles and use those on exercises that hurt. That way you still get a pump, but you're not doing further damage. Simply ignoring the pain and continuing exercises that aggravate the pain will only make it worse.

The problem is that it hurts on EVERY movement involving my arm lmao. The pain radiates to my forearm as well (palm facing down, right side of the forearm). Is this a situation where one of those elbow straps might help?

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest818 View Post
    The problem is that it hurts on EVERY movement involving my arm lmao. The pain radiates to my forearm as well (palm facing down, right side of the forearm). Is this a situation where one of those elbow straps might help?
    Possibly. Also, consider flossing it to speed up recovery a tad ( at least, it does for me.

https://youtu.be/GZG_9O_mAgM?si=WhXp2hMJ53l_kQA-

Also, elbow sleeves help me considerably. I like the 5mm thickness.

Try do a YouTube for Joe Therapy:

Here's one for tennis elbow.
    https://youtu.be/DA5EBRiLhDU?si=KHQfb2a90kEN9IhZ

Look through his videos, he may have one that helps you.

The main thing is don't aggravate it further. It will just hold you back more in the long run.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Great info by AG. OP, are you doing flat bench with the straight bar? A lot of people don’t like the straight bar, myself included, because it imposes an unnatural grip posture. I moved on to dumbell presses and cables for chest and get better results and less joint pain by letting my arms hold the weights at the natural 45 degree angle to my body rather than the 90 on the straight bar. Having independent motion of each arm lets you hold and move the weight in a way that doesn’t hurt or hurts less. Ultimately time and not doing anything would really be the best solution, imo. I did that and it fixed my shoulder and elbow that were hurting for years.

One last thing: it’s easy to overdo arms. You’re already hitting arms when you do back and chest. I wouldn’t do more than a couple of exercises/4 sets per exercise for biceps/triceps on arm day. Don’t be afraid of not working out a body part or stopping for a couple of months if you really have to… it comes back quick and you’ll be better off for it.
    almostgone and tempest818 like this.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I swear by this… get a copper elbow sleeve or 2 if both elbows need them. They eliminate this issue and quickly. I lift extremely heavy and max almost every hammer strength and cable machine and worked through similar issues. I’m only a few workouts the issue was resolved and these sleeves are cheap on Amazon. Several people at my gym also used them after talking to me and pain was gone. I highly suggest them to anyone experiencing elbow issues.

NiceGuyResearcher is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    I swear by this… get a copper elbow sleeve or 2 if both elbows need them. They eliminate this issue and quickly. I lift extremely heavy and max almost every hammer strength and cable machine and worked through similar issues. I’m only a few workouts the issue was resolved and these sleeves are cheap on Amazon. Several people at my gym also used them after talking to me and pain was gone. I highly suggest them to anyone experiencing elbow issues.

Hey Redz,
    This copper strap can also be used on the shoulder, right?

What it does is keep the shoulder close to the body for like incline bench presses and other overhead presses. When the arm is away from the core, that's a lot of where shoulder problems happen

by that I mean, I have a shoulder problem with my left shoulder being quite tender due to tendenitis it seems. The chiro told me today, it's not impingement of the shoulder, but could be just overuse

btw: OP you're not supposed to go all the way down or up, back in the day when we were all younger, the all the way down like on a shoulder shrug was ok, but that causes a lot of havoc on joints

thanks in advance for your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elbow pain with push and pull movements-shoulder-heat-pad-how-put-july-2023-pic-1.jpg  
    tempest818 likes this.

tbjake34 is offline Senior Member
    Bro you got tennis elbow. or tendonitis I had this. Extremely painful I could not do a lot of movements. This is how I healed it. Tb-500, bpc 157 injected into the elbow. I rested it for two weeks. I mean not training upper body so hit them legs for two weeks or just rest entirely or do upper body movements that dont bother it. Then I as also on 10iu genotropin. But when I started training again I have zero pain and it never came back those peptides are fucking amazing. Idk dosages I can't remember google that shit. also dont take cortico steroids , they are catabolic as fuck.
    tempest818 likes this.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Hey Redz,
    This copper strap can also be used on the shoulder, right?

What it does is keep the shoulder close to the body for like incline bench presses and other overhead presses. When the arm is away from the core, that's a lot of where shoulder problems happen

by that I mean, I have a shoulder problem with my left shoulder being quite tender due to tendenitis it seems. The chiro told me today, it's not impingement of the shoulder, but could be just overuse

btw: OP you're not supposed to go all the way down or up, back in the day when we were all younger, the all the way down like on a shoulder shrug was ok, but that causes a lot of havoc on joints

thanks in advance for your help
    I never tried a shoulder one but I used both elbow and knee and had incredible recoveries my knee is 100%. Occasionally my elbow aches so I still workout wearing the elbow sleeve most days.
    NiceGuyResearcher likes this.

Cylon357 is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    Redz, this is where I saw the first recommend for copper sleeves. I have to say thank you, because while they haven't eliminated my issues entirely on their own, they really are a benefit. Pressing is quite tolerable with them, and the golfers elbow (how da fuq I have "golfers" elbow idk lol) does not bother me witht them on, even on overhead presses.
    redz and Cuz like this.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.

Update: It’s getting worse ��. I think I feel it most in the “brachioradialis” (I had to google that just now).

I’m gonna go with the sleeve, and maybe some bpc or other compound.

I think my tricep workouts caused this. Close grip bench, cable push downs with the straight bar, and other straight bar exercises. Also, I’ve always noticed that my left and right arms don’t extend the same way (symmetrically). I figured it’s from an imbalance or something.

If I take time off for this to heal, I’m going to lose my progress and turn into a fat slob again, when I just spent the past 6 months building a physique I’m proud of. It’s just how I am, I can’t lose my momentum or else my bad habits will take over. And I’ll pulverize this fucking elbow if that’s what it takes. ��
    redz and NiceGuyResearcher like this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest818 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions fellas.

Update: It’s getting worse ��. I think I feel it most in the “brachioradialis” (I had to google that just now).

I’m gonna go with the sleeve, and maybe some bpc or other compound.

I think my tricep workouts caused this. Close grip bench, cable push downs with the straight bar, and other straight bar exercises. Also, I’ve always noticed that my left and right arms don’t extend the same way (symmetrically). I figured it’s from an imbalance or something.

If I take time off for this to heal, I’m going to lose my progress and turn into a fat slob again, when I just spent the past 6 months building a physique I’m proud of. It’s just how I am, I can’t lose my momentum or else my bad habits will take over. And I’ll pulverize this fucking elbow if that’s what it takes. ��
    No, just focus on something else for a while...say legs and abs.
    Cylon357 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Thread Information