skrote824 is offline New Member

Need help to get shoulder growth

I am having a rough time right now getting my shoulders to grow and i was wondering if anyone out there knows any good workouts to stimulate some shoulder growth. I usually incorporate both presses and raises on my shoulder days and i usually stay in the rep range of 6 to 12.

Thanks for any kind of suggestions.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    I feel presses are key for shoulder growth, you just need to make sure your switching up your routine so that the muscles don't adapt to the training. Incorporate dumbbells, barbells, smith-machine excercises, anything to change it up a little. That should help to stimulate a little extra growth.

TheNewSteel is offline New Member
    for me what worked was using a machine military press instead of free weights, oddly, shoulders are only thing that respond better to machine over free
    But about 2 months after switching the distance around my shoulders went up about 5 inches

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Most people cant stimulate shoulder growth because lack of intensity and proper form. When doing any kind of dumbell raise dont swing the weight up and make sure you mentally count between 2-3 seconds when coming down. Shock your mucsles also by supersetting a raise with a press or row.

solidj55 is offline Member
    Do less shouler work. I know it sounds stupid but when I stopped doing a lot of direct shouler work my size increased dramatically. Think of how hard your front delts get hit when working chest and how hard the rear delts get hit when working back. Throw in some side raises and thats all you really need IMO.

solidj55 is offline Member
    Also, instead of military presses, machine presses, dumbell presses, etc. you could start doing push press instead. Its basically a military press, or just like any other overhead press except its an explosive full body movement that allows you to use a lot more weight which equals overload on your muscles.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    As Legs said, take it nice and slow on the negative, also don't lock your elbows out at the top or bang the DBs.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    add some principles in the mix drop sets,super sets,giant sets. whatever your doing now change it, switch it up. but above all make sure your form is perfect and ur not juss swingin the weights.
    its always a wise idea to switch up routines every so often so your body doesnt adapt. you should post ur complete routine up

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewSteel
    for me what worked was using a machine military press instead of free weights, oddly, shoulders are only thing that respond better to machine over free
    But about 2 months after switching the distance around my shoulders went up about 5 inches
    what?!? 5 inches?! were you on cycle? imo, thats a ton...i'm actually gunna try smith machine presses now....

-- clocky baby

p.s. right now i do:

barbell shoulder press
    machine side laterals
    dumbell shoulder press
    bent over cable laterals

AndroholiK is offline Junior Member
    Set shoulders on your first day of your week. This way you will go into the week doing shoulders first and giving them your all. Basically you need to concentrate on them more and give them top priority. I'd say do heavy military presses, deltoid raises, and some lateral raises.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Presses work. Just wanted to give a suggestion for your traps. Grab a straight bar used for benching. Put about 100lbs on it, stand up, grab the bar and pull it up to your chin. Hold for 2-3 seconds. (upright rows) Great for the traps and might help strength for the shoulders.

TheNewSteel is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    what?!? 5 inches?! were you on cycle? imo, thats a ton...i'm actually gunna try smith machine presses now....
    No I wasn't, I was like wtf myself, lol, I had plateued for so long and all the sudden boom

Hey bermich try superset close-grip uprights with DB front raises. 4 sets.... then wide-grip uprights with DB lateral raise. 4 sets... then bent-over DB raises with DB back raises. 4 sets. AWESOME WORKOUT!!!

flexgolf is offline Member
    just try something different than your doin now. these guys listed several different reccomendations for shoulder training. experiment with something different than your doin now. i just recently started supersetting military press with shoulder raises

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    Hey bermich try superset close-grip uprights with DB front raises. 4 sets.... then wide-grip uprights with DB lateral raise. 4 sets... then bent-over DB raises with DB back raises. 4 sets. AWESOME WORKOUT!!!
    Yeah. I definately feel a difference in close and wide grip. I cant do as many with the wide grip.
    Im throwing a blank as to what DB means right now.
    Im retarded.
    Bent over raises hurts my lower back. I think I need to lay on my bench with dumbbells for that one.
    Thanks

Rookiejay is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewSteel
    Do you do the front or behind neck presses – narrow or wide grip?

That's impressive - post your work out routine

Jay

PS that’s a very informative thread – keep it going….

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Im throwing a blank as to what DB means right now.
    Im retarded.
    DB = dumbell, you dumbell...=)

-- clocky baby

Hey bermich try doing bent-over rows laying on an incline-bench over a smith machine bar. You wont use your lower back and itll target your upper and lats.

Thread Information