Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Noob_monkey is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    78

    mike mentzer ideal routine

    Hey!

    This routine just popped up on my YouTube.

    I'm going to give it a go.

    Does anyone have any experience with it?

    It seems like the whole routine can be run through in about 20 mins

    What would you guys think about doing a second lap, and finishing up the first?

    Anyways, thanks

  2. #2
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    26,336
    If it's Mentzer's HIT lifting routine, take a look @ Dorian Yates Blood n Guts as well.
    Usually with HIT you aim to complete 1 working set and generally you'll be too tired to get a second set. Older guys find that working the upper end of the rep range or possibly 2 working sets is beneficial to their joints and reduces the risk of injury.

    Also, search for Doggcrapp training.

    Edit: I'm not sure what you mean by "take a second lap".
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-06-2024 at 09:50 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  3. #3
    Noob_monkey is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    If it's Mentzer's HIT lifting routine, take a look @ Dorian Yates Blood n Guts as well.
    Usually with HIT you aim to complete 1 working set and generally you'll be too tired to get a second set. Older guys find that working the upper end of the rep range or possibly 2 working sets is beneficial to their joints and reduces the risk of injury.

    Also, search for Doggcrapp training.

    Edit: I'm not sure what you mean by "take a second lap".

    Thanks for the input. Il have a look at the Dorian Yates one.

    I meant to start again and do the whole workout a second time

  4. #4
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    26,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob_monkey View Post
    Thanks for the input. Il have a look at the Dorian Yates one.

    I meant to start again and do the whole workout a second time
    If you went through a whole workout at high intensity you shouldn't be able to make it through the second. You should have problems doing much of anything other than heading to the shower.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

  5. #5
    Cuz's Avatar
    Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    No source checks
    Posts
    7,988
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    If you went through a whole workout at high intensity you shouldn't be able to make it through the second. You should have problems doing much of anything other than heading to the shower.
    This is fact. Just getting to my car is a priority…

    As for the 20 minutes 3 times a week Mike claims im not sure i believe it, well, i dont. But if he was that gifted then sure I guess.
    I usually spend about 45 to 55 mins per session. I usually do 2 warmer sets sometimes 3 on a major movement instead of 1 warmer and 1 failure like he preaches. I just feel better that way and my joints fill with blood more

  6. #6
    Test Monsterone's Avatar
    Test Monsterone is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,941
    The thing is that most people don't start out lifting like Mentzer. I don't think Mentzer was even lifting like that to build his physique. That doesn't mean that type of physique can't be achieved with HIT. I'm just sayin that until someone does that from the beginning, we'll never really know. Right now I don't do more than 2-3 exercises (4 sets each) per workout, per body part. For example on chest day I'll just do cable crossovers and incline dumbell press. That gets me sore. I focus on every movement, bot concentric and eccentric. I focus on the muscle and really get it pumped. I think I could get big how I'm doing it now if I started this way, but there's no way I could fine out now. I really don't think we need 4 different exercises per body part to grow. At one point my elbow, my shoulder, my hip etc. hurt like a bitch cause I was doing too much... now I'm pain-free and just as muscular.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •