Murcielago is offline New Member

Thumbs up Doing this the right way

Hey guys firstly i would like to thank everyone for all heir support on this board it is truly a great source of creditable information. I titled this doing things the right way because for the longest time ive been thinking about doing things the wrong way and jumping into AS without really giving a big effort into my diet and workouts.im hoping now i can do things the right way and if i dont see the goals i want than ill probably do some more research on AS and than do that. I am an ectomorph 5"9 1/2 about 155lbs. I was wondering if any vets or moderators can put together a meal plan and a workout schedule for me. My goal is to gain mass. im willing to pay so if you can contact me it will be greatly appreciated. thanks again
    Last edited by Murcielago; 08-07-2003 at 04:32 PM.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Honestly, at your stage, I do not believe there exists any need to pay for such services, particularly when their is a wealth of free knowledge available here free of charge (we love to answer actual well-thought-out questions). Now, if you are fully self-aware of the fact that you absolutely NEED 100% hand-held directions for such an endeavor, than swolecat is probably the guy to talk to. Not to knock his services in ANY way, but I believe they are best utilized by people who have a VERY solid base knowledge and have simply come to a point at which their knowledge and/or their ability to garner more knowledge is mitigated by the intricacies of their present goals (ie, someone is looking to get from 9% bodyfat to 6% without sacrificing muscle...in such a case it takes a fairly broad AND detailed knowledge of the human body, chemistry, phsyiology, etc, etc) and the expertise of someone with a strong background in such fields is likely necessary. As a relative beginner, however, I think you can do just fine without such services.

Essentially, you want to consume about 1.5grams of protein per pound of LBM if you want to pack on muscle. Carbs are, in my experience, not lended well to prescribed numbers, as people respond so vastly differently to different levels. As an ectomoroph, you'll likely need a great deal (broad generalization) to gain weight...that exact number is somethign you'll have to experiment with, and I hesitate to give you a number or percentage of your diet they should comprise for the reason outlined above. Start out with a "serving" of carbs at each meal (perhaps 50 grams of carbs...give or take) and adjust accordingly from there...likely upping it as an ecto. Speaking of meals...the gospel preaches six a day, but as an ecto tendencied individual, i've found 8 or even 9 a day makes a tremendous difference. Basically, I rarely go more than two hours without food....closer to an hour and a half at times. I'd peruse the diet forum and read up there...it's a great start. Finally, below are some of my staple food choices while bulking:

Whole wheat pasta
    oatmeal
    oat cereal (sugarless)
    fruits (some people might advise against this)
    veggies
    whole wheat bread
    whole wheat tortillas
    sweet potatoes
    turkey breast (skinless)
    chicken breast (skinless)
    tuna (packed in water)
    low fat cottage cheese
    skim milk (again, some may disagree on this one)
    lean cuts of red meat
    peanuts
    walnuts
    kefir (an EXCELLENT bulking food imo)
    low fat yogurt (plain).

These are just a few.

gdawg0987 is offline New Member
    Hey BigGreen, what is kefir? I never heard of it.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    PAY!?!?!?!? For advice on doet and a workout..... no on this board! Be glad to help you piece together a diet and a workout. I need a few things from you though. First, how old are you? What does your daily activities look like? How often are you able to eat? What excatly are your goals?

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdawg0987
    Hey BigGreen, what is kefir? I never heard of it.
    Here's some info:

Morton Grove, IL, November 27, 2001- Lifeway Foods, Inc. (Nasdaq: LWAY) announced today that its kefir, a yogurt-like beverage similar to a milkshake or smoothie, has been named to a list of 11 “muscle snacks” in the December issue of Men’s Fitness magazine. The publication recommended Lifeway’s product and 10 other “on-the-go foods for iron-pushing guys” for their ability to provide low-fat, high-protein fuel during periods of muscle training.

The magazine cited Lifeway’s kefir for supplying 14 grams of protein in an 8-ounce serving containing 110 calories, 2.5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of saturated fat. The kefir’s protein content was the third highest on the magazine’s snack list and 2 grams more than that provided by an 8-ounce glass of low-fat milk.

In a reference to the numerous active cultures in Lifeway’s kefir, the story also noted that the natural ingredients in Lifeway’s product “protect the stomach lining from toxins and irritants such as those found in plates of buffalo wings and six-packs of beer.”

“Snack foods generally present you with three options: sugar, fat or a combination of both. During periods of intense training, however, what your body really needs is protein,” the magazine noted. The foods recommended in the story “will deliver a constant flow of nutrients essential for continued growth between workouts and keep your metabolism amped so you stay lean and alert throughout the day.”

Ivan Zwick, a 62-year-old weight lifter from Marion, Illinois, has seen the benefits of protein snacks firsthand. Zwick has been a regular kefir drinker for three years and now holds the world record of the International Power Lifting Federation in the single lift bench press in the 148-pound class ages 60 and over. He set the record in September with a 281-pound press at the USAPL National Bench Championships in Cleveland.

“I’ve been drinking a glass of Lifeway kefir every day, and I’ve seen an improvement in my lifting,” Zwick said. “I think I owe at least part of the credit to the kefir.”

Lifeway is a manufacturer of cultured, probiotic and functional food products and is America's leading supplier of the cultured dairy product known as kefir. The Company markets 12 flavors of kefir and does a successful business exporting its products to Eastern Europe and Canada. The Company continues to market a dairy based immune-supporting dietary supplement beverage called Basics Plus(TM), as well as Kefir Starter for consumers to make kefir at home or in travel. With the recent introduction of America’s first non-dairy soy kefir called SoyTreat (TM), as well as Lifeway Organic(TM) the Company is entered into the organic and soy milk market.

For more information, contact Julie Smolyansky, President, Lifeway Foods, Inc. at (847) 967-1010 or e-mail at [email protected].

While bulking, I'll drink an entire bottle of the low fat (NOT fat free, as it takes away a lot of protein) in a meal, it provides about 65 grams of protein, close to the same in carbs (maybe 80?) and minimal fat (12?). I'll find a bottle in my fridge and let you know.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    pay?? you aint got to pay brotha
    looks like BG & Tex have already offered ta help you out free of charge. post ur stats up brotha

gdawg0987 is offline New Member
    Thanks for the info BigGreen, think I'll have to check into getting me some.

Murcielago is offline New Member

Exclamation just got back

hey just got back from vacation at the bahamas. sorry couldnt get to this post earlier , over there i seem to forget about electronics. thanks for the info big green, my only problem is i dont know how much calories each meal i have has or how much protien. I also rarely find time to eat 3 times a day, i cant imagine eating 8 or 9 times a day. My daily activities are 8:30 - 5:30 work / 6:30- 7:30 Gym / and now im gonna have to squeeze in school somewhere too. Im still looking for a workout routine or a guideline to follow, there is so much information on this board and on the site that its kind of hard to find information that directly relates to me.
    Im also looking for a site that has pictures and instructions on a variety of diferent excercises. I often find myself doing the same xcercises and than being left with like what now? I also need help in understanding what muscles to workout with which muscles and how often this muscle should be worked out.
    Thanks allot guys

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Everyone has to start some where, I wouldn't worry too much about what relates to you and what doesn't, quite simply read it anyways because you will still be able to learn something from it and possibly apply it one day or it may help you learn something else.

As far as diet goes, its pretty mandatory to eat every 2-3 hrs. I know you have a job, everyone else here does too, but we still find a way and don't use it as an excuse.

As far as exercises go, exrx.net has many exercises there. You can also see many examples in magazines. Your best best would be to go to a borders or something like that and go to the bodybuilding section. There will be tons of books with pics and descriptions, and i guarantee you that they will answer all your questions and more. And any other questions that come up, well thats what AR is for

As for getting a trainer, if i were new to working out i would possibly consider getting one to teach proper form and many of the basics, but after you learn that then there is not much else a trainer can do that you wouldn't know a better way of doing.

If you got some buddies that work out, I would utilize them, i'm sure they would be more than willing to help ya out with the basics like form. I've never hesistated to help my friends out cuz its like having a new member of a family.

GL and keep reading.

Thread Information