redrock is offline Member

Least pressure on low back, what CAN'T I do?

I'm about 7 weeks out from a low back tear/strain/pull whatever. Dr. says to stay with machines. Thinking of not doing any freeweights like shoulder press, bench, standing curls. Wonder is it's ok to do a machine row, machine dips and similar exercises. I don't want to neglect some body parts during my recovery, but might have to.

What machines for all body parts put the least amount of stress/pressure on the low back? REDROCK

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Machine row would be ok - don't do cable row because you'll have to use your low back / abs to stabilize yourself.

I had somewhat the same problem and I just did what I could. Light shoulder exercises with dumbbells. Chest. No legs. Just things that didn't put me under any stress to where I'd have to use my stablizers.

solidj55 is offline Member
    Been there done that bro. Once I was able to get back to the gym after my back injury I completely changed the way I workout and have been doing it ever since, with a tweak here and there. A lot of people flame me because I no longer squat/deadlift, even though I probably could, but the risks outweigh the benifits for me. I have a job that I love and cant be off of work because of my extra curricular activities, plus I do not ever want to feel that kind of pain again. Anyway here is what I did. K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple Stupid is the way I view it now.

Chest, use dumbells(light) only do flat movements because the incline tends to put more uneeded stress on you, once you feel better then do inclines.

Back, do some sort of chest supported row, preferably seated.

Biceps, seated preacher curl

Triceps, anything you can find that is not stressful on lowerback

Shoulers, lateral raises

Legs, leg extensions, leg curls, and seated calves.

That should do you just fine until you heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by solidj55
    Been there done that bro. Once I was able to get back to the gym after my back injury I completely changed the way I workout and have been doing it ever since, with a tweak here and there. A lot of people flame me because I no longer squat/deadlift, even though I probably could, but the risks outweigh the benifits for me. I have a job that I love and cant be off of work because of my extra curricular activities, plus I do not ever want to feel that kind of pain again. Anyway here is what I did. K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple Stupid is the way I view it now.

Chest, use dumbells(light) only do flat movements because the incline tends to put more uneeded stress on you, once you feel better then do inclines.

Back, do some sort of chest supported row, preferably seated.

Biceps, seated preacher curl

Triceps, anything you can find that is not stressful on lowerback

Shoulers, lateral raises

Legs, leg extensions, leg curls, and seated calves.

That should do you just fine until you heal up.
    Thanks a lot Solid, I hear you on not wanting to feel this kind of pain again. It's the worst. I think I am done with deads and squats too. I
    did bi's and tri's today and felt what bothered it and what didn't. I think another week or two of just cardio and i'll try weights again. I'm really not feeling any pain, just discomfort/fatigue, but just want to be safe. Thanks again, REDROCK

solidj55 is offline Member
    Yea that pain is the worst. I hear a lot of guys talking about puking after a hard set of squats or deads and how painful it is cause you cant walk, blah blah... Well all I can say is try hurting your back squatting, let your sciatic(sp?) nerve get pinched because of the tissue in your lowerback is swollen up so much that you cant feel your legs and your spine tingles and not the mention the excrutiating pain in your lowerback even when you lay still. Then comes the muscle spasms, the uncontrollable muscle spasms in your back and in your legs that cause you to jump and then curl up into a ball and cry because it hurts soo bad. This is just the after effects that last for weeks, the initial part sucks as well, the popping sound, the dizziness, the collapse, the vomitting from pain, the almost passing out stage,,then the pain kicks in worse as time goes on... Whew, sorry, I was having a flash back of my warm up squat that ended my squat carreer and put me out of the gym for 3 months.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    I know when doing cardio on an eliptical I feel it in my lower back, so I usually use a bike or when I do feel up to it ill run. Any machine that supports your chest should be alright for not tweaking you back. Have you been doing any back extensions? light of course.

heres one for you red... try znak's russian squats idea. LOL as long as you relax your legs and not your back it wont hit the back right? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    heres one for you red... try znak's russian squats idea. LOL as long as you relax your legs and not your back it wont hit the back right? hehe
    Haha, good call. In all seriousness, I am thinking of giving up squats and deads all together. My back gets so sore from them anyways, I never want to experience low back pain again. It's the worst. Any thoughts on not doing 2 of the big 3 in bodybuilding? RR

There are some pros that dont do squats or dead-lifts. I read abou them just cant remember the names off hand. It can be done.

Thread Information