Mecca is offline New Member

shoulder still hurting!!

Hey guys...well it's been official a year since I had to let up on the iron because of serious shoulder pains. It got to the point to where I couldn't lift my left arm above my head...I went and seen a doc that specialized in sports injuries and he couldn't see anything that was that serious in my x rays, so he referred me to get an MRI done. Results were negative, but they did see an area that was irritated, but nuttin serious...the doc wrote me a prescription for some naproxen 500mg and took em for a good 2wks until the pain was a lil better.

Well a year later and my shoulder still hasn't healed...tried to get under the bench today and it still has this crazy pinch pain goin on!! Not as bad as it was a year ago, but still not right...What the hell?? The MRI showed no rotator cuff damage, so what gives?? Anybody else experience this kinda thing, please help...I wanna get back to my program so fuckin bad, but this shoulder thing is killin me!! Do you guys think I should go extra light to see if I can strengthen up that area or do you think I might fuck it up again??

HELP!!!

Mecca is offline New Member
    Oh and to make it even more fucked up...right when I got my first cycle pieced together and my physical condition up to par to hit my first cycle...this shoulder thing stopped me!! My winny exp date says 04, so I would really like to use it before it goes bad, but if not...guess it wasn't meant to be...suggestions anybody??

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    I'd go light for a couple weeks, man. I've never really had any serious injury problems (well I sprained my ankle a couple years ago but ignored it and it went away.) Did you go see a sports medicine doctor or a regular one?

redrock is offline Member
    Go and see a myofacial therapist. They specialize in deep muscle message/therapy. They can open up all the fibers of the muscle and get it loose again. If you have a pinched nerve or a tear, your muscle is going to respond accordingly and tense and ball up. A therapist will be able to stretch it out and then you can make a full recovery. They really help. REDROCK

sin
    sin is offline Senior Member
    you may have bursitis. if you dont know the bursa is the sac of fluid that lubes your joints, and if it gets irritated it can cause horrible pain. i know what you are describing because i went through the same thing. it kept me out of the gym for a couple years. find a good warm up workout for your shoulders such as the ones baseball pitchers use. it worked wonders for me; im back at 100%

slick1921 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sin
    you may have bursitis. if you dont know the bursa is the sac of fluid that lubes your joints, and if it gets irritated it can cause horrible pain. i know what you are describing because i went through the same thing. it kept me out of the gym for a couple years. find a good warm up workout for your shoulders such as the ones baseball pitchers use. it worked wonders for me; im back at 100%
    care to share thease shoulder warm ups??

I have horrible shoulders too

Years ago I had an accident at the dojo and ripped one of attachement points of my left trap off. It never healed so now my shoulder is a littel unbalanced.

Now and then I do get some pretty bad pain in the joint (as the shoulder doesn't rotate as smoothly as it should).

I've found that the position I sleep in affects how painfull that shoulder will be the next day. I now lay off sleeping on my left side. (yeah I know, strange)

On a cycle with Deca +test, the pain was totally gone... made me hold enough water that the joint was happy and well lubed. I also take glucosamine daily, I fould that helped a lot.

Also because of the way my muscle it torn, most flat bench or decline bench barbel lifts I *MUST* do in the smith machine. If I use a normal flat bench, I get instant pain in the shoulder. The smith allows me to concentrate on pushing.

Oddly enough I am ok for incline bench, no pain at all.

You might want to look into making allowances in your training to work around that shoulder.

Red

MR.BICEPS is offline Junior Member
    DECA shots into the shoulder once a week plus rotary cuff exercises is what I'd do.

Also no flat benches, flies or militaries. Do 15 degree declines.

clipper is offline Associate Member
    I do some rotator cuff warm up to keep my shoulders in the good. They suck if i dont. I do side front and back raises with a 2 1/2 or 5 lb weight. 3 sets of 12. No more than that. Also I dont use a bar for my bech, just dumb bels. That has helped the most.
    Also if that doc did nothing for you, try onother. Even the best doc misses something sometime.

znak is offline Senior Member
    You need to do a few things. I am over 40 and had/have similar problems. If you do things right, you can work out without pain. I stretched a tendon in my shoulder and had the same symptoms as you and the same lack of visibility on x-ray, etc. The muscles bunch up around the damage and 'protect" it. You are now dealing with the secondary effects as well as the primary.

a) Deep massage- shiatsu or similar. Mamby-pamby massage won't cut it. you gotta get in there. You have to get the knots out and allow growth and repair around the injury. It will take at least ten sessions at first and then about once-twice a month to maintain flexibility for the next year.

b) Chordiatin and Glucosomine (sp?) take it every day. You can buy the generic brands for about $30 for 180 tabs or about 33 cents a day. Shit works.

c) warm up with a one pound weight doing arm circles in every variation that you can think of. Just swing your arm around and try to cover each section of the ball joint in your shoulder. Think of oiling up the joint. it is not work, you are just swinging a hinge back and forth to lube it up and get the blood flowing. Ii do this warm up for about two minutes before I start lifting and continue for at least the first 3-4 sets while my partner is lifting.

If you do these three things, you will be back lifting within a month. You will be very glad that you read this post.

Been there, done that and now the tee shirt is too small 'cause I been liften big time!

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    yea i had a big problem with that, and especially when im on juice, my shoulder tends to feel very irritated..llike my joints have no lubrication or sumthin....i learned that the key for me was to do an extra long warm up routine...light though and slowly heavy..take as much as to 20min slowly working it in..try it dude...do some pushups, light bench with with decent reps and lights sets..rotate your shoulder and so on...it did me wonders..good luck

Quote Originally Posted by znak
    You need to do a few things. I am over 40 and had/have similar problems. If you do things right, you can work out without pain. I stretched a tendon in my shoulder and had the same symptoms as you and the same lack of visibility on x-ray, etc. The muscles bunch up around the damage and 'protect" it. You are now dealing with the secondary effects as well as the primary.

a) Deep massage- shiatsu or similar. Mamby-pamby massage won't cut it. you gotta get in there. You have to get the knots out and allow growth and repair around the injury. It will take at least ten sessions at first and then about once-twice a month to maintain flexibility for the next year.

b) Chordiatin and Glucosomine (sp?) take it every day. You can buy the generic brands for about $30 for 180 tabs or about 33 cents a day. Shit works.

c) warm up with a one pound weight doing arm circles in every variation that you can think of. Just swing your arm around and try to cover each section of the ball joint in your shoulder. Think of oiling up the joint. it is not work, you are just swinging a hinge back and forth to lube it up and get the blood flowing. Ii do this warm up for about two minutes before I start lifting and continue for at least the first 3-4 sets while my partner is lifting.

If you do these three things, you will be back lifting within a month. You will be very glad that you read this post.

Been there, done that and now the tee shirt is too small 'cause I been liften big time!

Thread Information