Thread: chest

SolidRock is offline Junior Member

chest

I have had great strength and especialy weight gains latly, but I still am not satisfied with the strength of my chest,, what can I do to add to my bench weight???

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Add more weight to the bar!!

Billy

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    Use D.b's on a flat bench this will improve your strenght in the lowest part of the BB bench press, Close-grip bench press will improve the strengh of the triceps and Militart press will improve the anterior Deltoid.

A good bench is a combination of techique, pec, tricpeps and shoulder strengh.

BA

pureanger is offline Senior Member
    Delt strenght plasy a big role in bench press if your looking for weight on the bar, do push presses and other heavy movements that involve delts also decline bench and dumbell flat heavy and strict.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Incline

I have always heared that if you go heavy on your incline that it will drive up your weight on the flat bench. Pop over and read the post that I made about a article that I read on strenght training. The name of the post is heavy or high reps by Berry. It address this very issue and I know first hand that it has always worked for me.
    Tobey
    Last edited by Tobey; 09-10-2001 at 07:51 PM.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Tobey, not only have I heard that, I have experienced that. But Dumb bell flys seem to be the best for me. They really make that chest big. I twist the dumb bell at the top of my movement to hit that inner chest. I have a problem with my chest, but since I started doing Dumb Bell flys, I find that it helps alot. Of course, I also do bench, flat, incline and decline, and usually dips. I used fly machines, but didn't get the results that I got from the dumb bells.

Veggie is offline New Member
    Neck Press works well, always sore after the neck press

SolidRock is offline Junior Member
    I have been going heavy on the incline and, it has put my flat up 10 pounds,,,thanks for the advice!!

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    All great points here. DO THEM ALL. Try to very your grip on the bar. If you are naturally strong in triceps or shoulders then yest do a bit more flye movements, after your compound movements. Depending on your physical body type (fast/slow twitch muscle fibers) You may need to change your rep range. Try even changing the intensity of your chest workout. Here is a killer

Warm up your pecs
    Start with flat bench and perform as heavy bench as you can handle for 6 reps

Without resting perform dumbell bench presses for 12 reps as heavy as possible

Without resting perform dumbell flyes for 20 reps as heaby as possible.

This works every type of muscle fiber you have and 3 sets is crazy intense.

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    One of my personnal favorites, I personnally go for incline but I love the pump and I can have a short intense w/o.

JRMY2711 is offline Associate Member
    I had posted this to another thread a while back a had a great increase on my bench when i started doing weighted dips great on tricepts front delts and when you lean forward just a little it always hits that part of the upper inner chest that you want.

elkins31 is offline Junior Member
    Use the smith machine and work on your form. Work in high reps 1 week and go heavy the next. it worked for me. Good luck!

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    You right Jr, dips are killer, and good for just about all the upper body.. I love dips.. but hate the way they wear ya azz out. I mean nothing like hoppin up on the dip bar and thinking you are going to do 100 of them, and can only squeeze out 10 or so. man, just makes ya want to grow a third arm or something..

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Ahh come on Sicilian

Ahh come on Sicilian,
    Even an old guy like me can crank out 25 to 30 dips without breaking a sweat.( 2 or 3 set of them) They ain't all that bad. Good for the pump tough. Gotta love the pump!
    IC

Thread Information