inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member

How far to genetic limit?

I was wondering what is a good way to gauge any one individuals genetic potential. Myself for example am 69", 180lbs., and about 8-9% bodyfat. I am on the meso side of a ecto-meso body structure, and my bodyfat levels never go above 10% even if I try. I've been training for about 10 years, with about 5 good years in. Also, I can still gain weight on about 3000 cal-day with no AS. The only time i've ever hit the wall, so to speak, is with flat presses, and overhead presses. My squat, LP, DL, rows, chins, pullups continue to get better at a pace of about 5lbs every 2 weeks. 5lbs. per month for presses. My presses seem to be tapering down, where anything involving my legs or back seems like there is no end in sight(i've got some big ass wheels). The problem is my chest and shoulders are my weak area. Maybe this is perception, i.e. the Adonis Complex, but maybe i'm reaching my limit.

1) With my bodytype, how many calories is a good estimate for me to reach my genetic limit (20, 22,30)?

2)Because of muscle fiber ratios, could I get more years of gains in bodyparts with higher fast twitch proportions(legs, back)?

3)Is it really neccesary, or even possible to max out my entire body before using AS?

All replies welcome. Especially those from the warhorses with 15 or 20 years of lifting in who came close to the wall before AS.
    Last edited by inheritmylife; 08-20-2003 at 12:25 PM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    If your diet is spot on, and you know your stuff, it could be a very long time before you hit a wall. If you consistently use the same training style, you will hit a wall sooner with that method, however if you constantly change your training methods and continue to learn your body, it could be a long time before you hit a wall. At WSB, guys like Louie Simmons who is in his 50's and has been lifting since the 70's claims to be having his greatest gains now. If you make the effort, you won't hit a wall for a very long time. There's just so many training methods and variations to constantly spur growth for a long time.

I think in general, natural BBers reach their genetic potential around their late 30's, as i beleive most big natural for life BB competitions are won by guys around 40. I think in general for AS users, they reach their potential a bit faster usually in their early 30's.
    Last edited by saboudian; 08-20-2003 at 02:50 PM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    To answer your first question, who knows, it really depends on you. (I assume you mean age) I think anyone would have gains good gains in the beginning for at least 3-4 years before progress starts to really slow down. Don't count those years when you didn't know what the heck you were doing, I'm talking about 3-4 yrs of solid nutrition and intense training with various training systems and principles.

To answer your second question, of course. Just look at guys like Bigol'legs. Some ppl just have bodyparts that respond better than others.

For #3, I don't think its necessary to max out your whole body to use AS, but you should have a deep understanding of nutrition and training methodology, which really is just learning your body, of course this is all easier said then done, you'll find this out if you ever compete.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Right on, thanks for the responses.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    not directing this at your question but just a general reply.....

most athletes who arent gaining simply arent couting calories or arent eating enough

nice to see you considering genetic potential before using AS, that is a rarity these days. i applaud you

Thread Information