olympia81 is offline Junior Member

cardio while bulking

i am gonna be on a bulk cycle of sus,deca and d-bol should i cut cardio out totally to get the most gains or should i hit it moderatley 2-3 times a week and for how long i want to get as much muscle size as possible. by the way i do the eliptical machine is that a good choice for cardio on a bulk.what have your experiences been?

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    it varies from person to person. some folks want every calorie to go to building muscle on a bulk so they will stay far away from cardio. personally, i just like being active and dont like carrying that little extra bulk chub so i will do 1-2 cardio sessions a week when bulking.

the key is the kind of cardio. cardio in itself is catabolic. this is why hiit style cardio is so important. get in and get the hell out. hiit on the eliptical is fine.

it would look like this....

5 minute warmup @ 50-60% intensity

hiit starts....
    30 seconds @ 110% intensity
    30 seconds @ 50% intensity

etc.... until desired time has been reached. HIIT should not last longer than 15 minutes (not counting warmup or cool down)

Rookiejay is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetPsycho
    it varies from person to person. some folks want every calorie to go to building muscle on a bulk so they will stay far away from cardio. personally, i just like being active and dont like carrying that little extra bulk chub so i will do 1-2 cardio sessions a week when bulking.

the key is the kind of cardio. cardio in itself is catabolic. this is why hiit style cardio is so important. get in and get the hell out. hiit on the eliptical is fine.

it would look like this....

5 minute warmup @ 50-60% intensity

hiit starts....

etc.... until desired time has been reached. HIIT should not last longer than 15 minutes (not counting warmup or cool down)
    What's HIIT stand for?

How do you calculate % intensity?

Why no longer than 15 min? (Is that because glycogen starts breaking down in about 15 min?)

Thanks

Jay

PS Sorry about all these questions, I just think it's pretty interesting and important

tigerl is offline New Member
    high intensity interval training?

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    high intensity interval training.

You burn "fat" (actually intra-muscular triglyceride stores, not the lovehandle kinda fat ) throughout any activity. A larger percentage of your energy comes from triglycerides during low-intensity activity than during higher intensity, but higher-intensity of course burns more total calories in a given time. Higher intensity also stimulates metabolism much more than lower intensity. Long low-intensity cardio, even though it uses mostly fat is also catabolic to muscle tissue and uses it (along with whatever muscle glycogen that can be replenished) for energy.

So...
    - Short high intensity: Burns a little fat, burns no or little LBM, raises metabolism (HIIT)
    - Long low intensity: Burns a lot of fat, burns significant LBM, does not raise metabolism

additional info...
    http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
    http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/hiit.htm

Thread Information