BIG BRUJO is offline Junior Member

Bicep Routine Suggestions

My Biceps Are One Of My Weak Points, Im Looking For Any Suggestions To Better Improve And Add Size.. They Currently Measure At17.5 Cold.. Here Is My Routine

Barbell Curls 5 Sets 8-10 Reps,, Superset With Dumbell Curls 6-8 Reps Start Out With 65lbs On The Cambered Bar And Ill Work Up To 115 On My Final Set.. Dumbbells Ill Stay With 35lbs

Machine Preacher Curls 3 Drop Sets Start Off At 95 And Remove 10lbs After The Final Rep Till Its Down To 25lbs

My Last Excercise Are Hammer Curls And Ill Just Stay With 25lbs Dumbbells 4 Sets 6-8 Reps..

Any Advice Would Be Helpful Also My Form Is Very Strict I Dont Sway Back And Forth Or Use My Shoulders For Help

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Way too many sets. I do between 6 - 8 sets.

So Just Stay With The 4 Routines And Drop It Down To 4 Sets W/ 6-8 Reps?

TheNewSteel is offline New Member
    holy crap that is a lot of sets for a small muscle group
    My biceps are lucky if they get 1-2 sets of isolation (curls)
    Of course they get hit though whenever I do pullups or rows
    high volume has never worked for my arms

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG BRUJO
    So Just Stay With The 4 Routines And Drop It Down To 4 Sets W/ 6-8 Reps?
    IMO for hypertrophy, I found with my Biceps, failure around 10-12 reps worked best for me, but if i were you i would still experiment with different rep ranges till you find what works best for you. I will agree with the others on low volume, I only do 3 sets for bi's. I only do one exercise per BI workout and then i'll switch it up every workout, so it takes me about 3 months to repeat an exercise.

Biceps are a small muscle and easy to overtrain, on the other hand if you were training quads, they are nearly impossible to overtrain. I think its funny when i hear ppl talking about needing 20 sets for biceps or else they won't grow. I used to do 20 sets for bi's, then dropped it to 10, then to 6, now to 3, and they grow more every time i decreased the volume.

Thanks For The Suggestions Ill Definetly Try The Low Volume Training For My Bis And Switch It Up As Well

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your working the bi's too much and causing them to hypotrophy instead of hypertrophy.

I started about two months ago working out with 30 lb dumbells. Now I'm at 50 lb dumbells.

I only did three to four sets of no more than 10 reps. Once I got to 10 reps, I moved up in weight. Every week My arms grew at least half a cm.

Also helps to switch things up with the bi's. I mainly do standing bumbel curls using good form, but I will cheat the last two if I have to. But the muscles get used to it and get stuck every now and then. So I started to add some e-z curl bar and isolation work to get past those sticking points.

If my biceps are still sore when its time for my next workout, I just skip it. If you're working out the way you mentioned and you're doing it every other day, you're definitely in hypotrophy. I let my bi's rest at least two days. My tri's are every other day though. (I just started to work on my tri's a week ago, so all of the growth in my arms was mainly from the biceps).

Cool Thanks For The Info, I Pretty Much Am Doing Only 4 Exercises Now For Bis About 8-10 Reps Or 6-8 Depending On How Heavy Ill Go ,, Its Good To See What Others Think It Saved Me From Killing Time And Gaining Size..

Thread Information