SLUMPBUSTR is offline Associate Member

state of tricep emergency

whats up everyone. ive been lifting for about 4 years seriously now. i like the way my chest, delts, bi's, back and legs look and gro. BUT....my tri's suck. i know a lot of it is genetics but come on. there not growing at all. can everyone that has a hard time getting there tri's to grow post some of your work out routines that worked for you? id really appreciate it. casue this is driving me crazy. thanx

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    How about posting your workouts and we can see where there is room for improvement.

these are the last 2 work out routines ive been doing. i did one for a few months and then went to the second.

work out 1 work out 2
    sun legs legs
    mon off off
    tues chest chest/tris
    wed back back/bis
    thur shoulders shoulders
    fri off off
    sat bis/tris bis/tris

my workouts have been the same lately, the only difference has been me trying to get my tris to grow.
    when i work tri's after chest i usually do skull crushers, rope pull downs, weighted dips

when i work them with bis i usually do skull crushers, rope pushdowns, and superset weighted dips and kickbacks.

This is my split
    day 1-back
    day 2-shoulders
    day 3-off
    day 4-legs
    day 5-chest
    day 6-bi's/tri's

For bi's and tri's I'll do this

close grip bench 3 sets of 8 (with 2 warm-up sets)
    overhead dumbell extensions (both hands on one db) as heavy as you can go for 3 sets of 8
    v-bar pushdowns 3 sets of 8
    single arm reverse curls (arms are positioned like doing a curl, but you pull down to full extension) 3 sets of 8

bi's
    long straight bar 3 sets of 8
    single arm preacher curl 3 sets of 8
    hammer curls 3 sets of 8
    isolation curls 3 sets of 10-12

Hope this gives you any help, I'd only work bi's and tri's once a week. What does your bi/ tri workouts look like?

are you a hard gainer when it come to your tris???

no, I've just discovered that the more I abuse them the better they grow. I naturally have large triceps.

TheNewSteel is offline New Member
    only thing that has ever made my triceps grow are dips
    I've yet to find an isolation exercise that actually make my tris get stronger or bigger

99si is offline Junior Member
    So everything else is growing but your tris?
    You can try training them twice a week or increase the rep range to 8-12.

GetPsycho is offline Associate Member
    what about shocking principles. drop sets, supersets, giant sets, static contractions, etcc..... i also like to flex my tris for 30 seconds inbetween each set

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if you're into PLing at all, but i started up WSB a few weeks ago and my Tri's are responding beautifully, only thing i change is that i only do 3-4 hardcore sets per workout for Tri's, changin the exercise every single week.

Of course, only prob with WSB is that other body parts will suffer.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    My problem was always isolating my triceps. I recently started with a new excercise and it's working out pretty well.

I lay on my back on a bench with a light dumbell as if I'm going to do dumbell benchpresses (arms streight up in the air with the dumbells paralel to my body). I lower the dumbell down to my head and raise it back up, leaving my upper arm as streight as possible.

I do the movement slowly, to stress the tricep as much as possible and so I don't knock myself in the head trying to do it too fast.

I suggest starting very light. I start with 20 lbs. in each hand. That movement puts a lot of stress on the elbow joints, the ligaments that attach the arm bones together, etc. After a set of 10 with the 20's I go to 30's. So far, I can't do a set of 10 with the 30's yet. I also don't do any more than 3 sets. I may move up to 4 sets because I seem to recuperating pretty quickly, but I don't want to hypotrophy.

Hope that helps.

BIG BRUJO is offline Junior Member
    On My Experience For Tri's The Best Are Kickbacks But With The Ez Curl,, Kinda Doing Like A Skullcrusher But You Sling The Bar Back And Out So When The Bar Comes Back Down Its Coming Towards The Top Of Your Head .. Kind Of Hard To Explain But It Works

Thread Information