GARO123 is offline New Member

Lower Pecs Question?????

Hey fellas.I need some tips on lower chest.My upper and middle range of the pec are fine but its my lower that are weak.I do assisted dips because my right shoulder blade has been giving me problems lately.I also do decline barbell.But I tend to feel it more in the shoulder area and less on the lower pecs.I dont go that heavy anymore on decline because I feel unbalanced when I dont have a spotter.But Im not getting the results i want for my lower.I also tried decline flys but they were rough on my shoulders and couldnt go really heavy.Any tips?

hawktribal is offline Senior Member
    decline bench is the best way to hit your lower pecs. if i were you i'd use dumbells instead of barbells. it works wayyy better for me personally. also try cable flys. take a flat bench and lay down and bring your hands together above your chest in the air. it's hard to explain but i think u know what i'm talking about

--hawk

popa is offline Senior Member
    hit the lowwer pecs first in your training routine

lethalppl is offline Associate Member
    And I always thought the pecs was one muscle group. So i thought worked whole muscle no matter how you did it. BUt i could be wrong. U can not just pick out one part of muscle and train it more. If I m right or wrong please tell me because i need to change my workout plan.
    Last edited by lethalppl; 08-26-2003 at 01:43 PM.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    DO couple of sets extra of decline

HeavyWeight is offline New Member
    You don't necessarily have to do lower all that much becasue if you workout the upper part of the chest it would fold over and give you the straight currved look.. I would suggest doing pullovers and dips.. I personally don't even do decline.. Maybe every blue moon..

CaliPump is offline New Member
    Lethal, you are right it is one muscle group but by attacking the muscle at different angles you can accentuate certain areas of the muscle. It like doing triceps...when your palms are facing together you work the over all muslce....palms towards back like say kickbacks works the outer more palms forward works inner head more....sure it still works the whole muscle but the angle of attack can put more stress on certain fibers.

talon is offline Senior Member
    Simply decline barbell press, decline d-bell press, and decline d-bell flyes. That should help with the lower chest very quickly.

solidj55 is offline Member
    In my opinion the best chest exercises(for developement) for the chest are Incline Dumbell Press, Decline Dumbell Press(which I do not do, but they are great) and Dips. Personally I only do Incline Dumbell Press and Dips, every 2 months or so I will hit some Flat DB Presses. I would just stick to the Decline DB Press first hit some Incline Dumbell Presses and then a couple sets of dips.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Try some decline cable flys. Really concetrate and squeeze at the top. Also standing cable raise flys (hehe dont know what to call it), but start with hands palms up and bring your arms up straight out in front and touch hands at eye level.

talon is offline Senior Member
    Very good idea BIGOLLEGS, either that are decline a bench and use a free motion machine, if you got one. These machines eliminate momentum which the cable machines can't, because they are quad cambered.

Yup "change it and it will grow". Switch it up every week to give a good shock and I bet if you squeeze and concentrate hard enough in 12 weeks youll see a big improvement.

Thanks Fellas.i Appreciate The Input.i Actually Just Incorporated Decline Barbell Presses Into My Routine And I Feel It A Bit Tighter Down There.and I Do A Lot Of Incline Because I Hear Once The Pecs Lift It Will Take Away The Softness At The Bottom.but I Guess Its All Trial And Error.one More Thing Should I Go Moderately Heavy And Go To 8 Reps Or Not So Heavy And Do About 12-15 Reps To Take That Muscle To Failure.

do a pyramid set and see how it feels. 15,12,10,8
    make sure you squeeze and bust something (in a good way). hehe

Thanks For The Input.i Actually Have Been Doing Unilateral Decline Dumbell Presses.hope I Expalined It Right.i Always Felt My Left Working Harder So I Tried One At A Time And My Lower Chest Feels Tight.i Have Been Hitting Decline Twice To Three Times A Week Since Im Week There.

solidj55 is offline Member
    Not sure I would do that dude, dont want to overtrain...

Ya just once a week is good if you hit it nice and hard. If you wanna go 2x's a week I would go over 8 sets a session. The single DB press are a good Idea.

TheNewSteel is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lethalppl
    And I always thought the pecs was one muscle group. So i thought worked whole muscle no matter how you did it. BUt i could be wrong. U can not just pick out one part of muscle and train it more. If I m right or wrong please tell me because i need to change my workout plan.
    I believe it has 2 insertion points, upper and lower, and i believe the fibers run horizontally

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    FYI, the pecs are actually made up of two muscles, the pectoralis major and the pectoralis minor. One attaches to a higher part of the rib cage than the other. But, if you do flat benches, you are pretty much hitting each one equally, but the pectoralis major takes the most. And doing just flat will still give you a full look to your chest. As you start to loose the muscle you may get the saggy look in the lower part of the peck (if you've ever seen a old guy that used to be really big, they tend to look like they used to have boobs).

Thread Information