View Poll Results: Where do you use wraps?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wrist

10 40.00%
  • Elbows

1 4.00%
  • Knees

5 20.00%
  • NONE AT ALL

11 44.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: WRAPS Poll

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

WRAPS Poll

Who here uses wraps?

I always use wrist support but haven't dipped into elbows or knees yet...

As far as elbows - it takes me a lot of warm-ups to get the blood localized and the tendons/ligaments warmed up. Which isn't too bad for triceps - but it takes even longer on chest for them to get ready. But even so with Triceps, my strength is getting pretty strong on Cambered Tricep Extensions and such - that I know it is putting significant stress on my elbow joint.

For knees - I have had a bad knee for awhile. It used to click really bad now it just snaps every once in awhile.

My biggest worry is if wrapping a joint hinders joint adaption to resistance training... I don't want to weaken them by using wraps.

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    I use wrist wraps for a lot of back/trap exercises. I have used knee wraps before but dont feel that they are necessary for me at this point.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I use wraps on my knees now and then for heavy squats, when I feel like my knees are not totally with me on that day. My right knee was blown out playing ball in college so it gives me probs every now and then. Don't know if it helps or henders but helps ease my mind a little. I'm in my late thirties btw.

jarrett is offline Senior Member
    bad right knee from playing soccer, tore my first ligament when i was 11, so im always cautious and wrap the hell out of it on certain exercises, rather be safe than sorry

hybrid is offline Member
    I use knee wraps every other week when I do legs extra heavy. But only on the last set or two of squats or leg press.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I never use wraps/straps/belts for any lifts and I think thats the key to my success to staying fairly injury free in the gym.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I use to use knee and wrist wraps but don't anymore. I found myself relying on the knee wraps while squating too much. I would use wrist wraps but I end up leaving them behind and have gotten sick of buying new ones all the time.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    BTW - Wrist wraps help keep my hands from sliding on a bar (especially Barbell Presses) and keeps the little itty bitty bones in the joint together. The way I see it, the wrist isn't as strong of a hinge joint like the elbows or knees... and it doesn't have the muscle support that other similar joints have - like delts. I have wrapped my wrists up tight for a few years now with only positive results.

Right now I use some pretty durable ones from Nike that were designed for tennis athletes. They add a little padding on the bottom of each palm to help with grip too... hands down the best wrist wraps I have used so far...

On another note... I always use a belt for back and leg days to support the lower back. And straps for pulling movements - in my eyes its impossible to expect to build a big back when you limit yourself to forearm grip strength. Forearms can be worked seperatly. When it is back day I don't want to miss those extra heavy reps because forearms can't keep up with the massive back muscles.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    I only use wraps for heavy barbell shrugs. I do use a weight belt for last 2-3 sets of heavy squats and last 2 sets of heavy rows. I do see some people how wear wraps and belts throughout their workout, personally I don't think that is a good idea.

clipper is offline Associate Member
    i dont use them for any joints, so far. But I do use them for shrugs and hevy deadlifts.

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    ... in my eyes its impossible to expect to build a big back when you limit yourself to forearm grip strength. Forearms can be worked seperatly. When it is back day I don't want to miss those extra heavy reps because forearms can't keep up with the massive back muscles.
    I agree 100%. I catch a little flak from some of my friends in the gym for using ths straps, but I am growing better than they are. Keep talking trash about my methods...and keep watching me get bigger.

FinaZurp is offline Associate Member
    So much for sleeping. I don't wear any wraps and I've had my knee scoped but I did such intensive therapy that my knee feels fine and I wouldn't have it any other way. I just listen to my body and when my joints tells me enough is enough on a lift I stop.

BIG BRUJO is offline Junior Member
    dam im a mess then compared to some of you.. i use wrist wraps, and elbow brace and sometimes a knee brace...never really paid attention to injuries when i was younger and playing sports but now im paying for it... i know what you mean from going heavy on barbell extension and the brace works for me but i try not to use it as much, but i cant help it due to the tendon i tore in it.. as for writs staps ill only use if im pulling heavy wieght on shrugs

Thread Information