navydevildoc is offline Associate Member

Beginner - SUCCESS!

Hey guys, first just want to say that this is an excellent board! I have learned so much in the last few weeks of reading all the great info here.

I am a beginner to weightlifting... I have been thinking about hitting the gym for a while now, but really got the bug when I saw a guy at the airport a few weeks ago who could have been my twin brother, except he had about 30 pounds of muscle more than me.... that's all it took! I can't get that image out of my mind.....

So now, here I am, dying to go to the gym. I have been reading about foundation exercises, put on a good frame, all that. I have been reading about different muscle groups for different days. But above all, everyone says FORM is what matters most. There is no point for me running into the gym, looking like a dumb ass and then hurting myself. I am no power lifter, so I am already gonna have to endure the "Ah, look at the little weights he has" looks. The way I look at is, everyone has to start from somewhere, and I can only get bigger.

A few of these posts have been great on how to get started (the beginner tips I have found here especially!), but it would be GREAT if there was a website out there that actually SHOWED the correct forms! Google hasn't been much use...

I travel 5 days out of the week for my job, so having a regular gym partner or trainer at first is out. I have to do it alone... I have the determination and self will, just need some guidance to get going! I have nothing else to do while I am sitting on my ass at the hotel, so I might as well put my time to good use.

Any help you guys can give pointing me in the right direction would be awesome! Mainly looking for good form, but any tips would really be appreciated!

navydevildoc
    Last edited by navydevildoc; 09-08-2003 at 05:24 PM.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I know alot of guys are gonna hate me for recommending this site, but this is a good site for beginners, www.bodybuilding.com

Didn't see what is so bad about that site.... what don't people like about it?

This was a workout plan I saw on an old thread, originally from Tapout. It looks good to me, fits the foundation idea, and fits my schedule pretty well. BTW I am 25, 6'1", 175 lbs. I have NO idea what my BF% percentage is. I was in the Navy until not too long ago, stationed with the Marine Corps Infantry, and always passed the "tape test", but never knew what the percentage was.

Anway, What do you all think? Any suggestions would be awesome!

monday---chest/shoulders/tris
    bench
    flat db fly
    front military presses
    side db raises
    floor presses
    push downs

wednesday----back/traps/bis
    pull downs
    full or partial deads
    bar shrugs
    straight bar curls
    db curls

friday---legs
    squats
    straight leg deads

Well, went to the gym with a purpose for the first time. Didn't fuck around, hit the treadmill for 15 minutes to get the heart pumping, stretched, then went straight for the free weights. Got a few of those "what the fuck are you doing here" looks, but one guy was really friendly, asked how long I had been lifting (like he needed to ask) and then told me if I needed any help to just ask. I wasn't expecting that at all, and to be honest, once I really started working, the other guys pretty much left me alone. Just having read so much about doing things right made a big difference. I saw guys doing all sorts of screwed shit. I thought it was pretty f'n funny that the guy going for the first time knew more than some of the tools that were in there tonight!

Anyway, having my mind in the game really helped, got in a good work out, and am already looking forward to wednesday.... I AM HOOKED!

Thanks for the tips saboudian, it helped!

Time to reward myself with a big ass burrito from chipotle and just be patient as the pounds start building up......

Thread Information