Terinox is offline The One & Only

Leg Cramps During Exercise

I just remembered this when I was reading Beenie's post about getting cramps during the night. That has happened to me before (very very seldom), but sometimes, while I'm doing an exercise I start getting cramps in my legs (thigh, calfs, side of foot) and the thing is, that I'm not even doing a LEG exercise!!!

Sometimes when I'm doing flat bench, I will be doing sets, and on something like my 5th or 6th rep, I start feeling the cramp and I have to quickly stop my set. Why does this happen??? It rarely does, but when it does, it's pretty bad. Could it be that the weight is too heavy??? Am I straining too hard??? It's the same weight that I normally do. I mean, it's not like I suddenly upgrade the weight by 10 pounds or anything, it's the same weight I did the previous chest day. It also happens a lot more when I'm doing lat pulldowns. It's weird, and come to think about it, it's actually more my left leg. Maybe only my left leg. I can now remember that I would put my right leg under the holder (the thing you put your knees under to stop you from going up) but if I do that with my left leg as well, it will cramp up. So I usually have to bend it more, and just leave it more under my seat while I'm doing the exercise (i know it's hard to picture, but I hope you get what I mean). Can someone explain this???

Thnx
    Terinox

dino2 is offline Junior Member
    I normally doen't have cramps, but if I am on juice, I do.

After a 3 to 4 weeks, it its gone again.

I am not on juice, I'm going natural, and this still happens to me sometimes

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Try stretching before every exercise. Statistic Stregthing not balistic (bounce stretching). Also make sure your muscles are getting the proper nutrients too, plenty of protein, water, carbs (fuel) etc. Do you notice this happens when the weather is cold? Cramps are more likely to happen when the weather is cold outside. Proper muscle warm ups (even on hot days) is essential. How old are you? The reason I ask is because when I was younger I never got cramps now that I am older, (my muscles are older), I have to stretch more and more especially on cold days, and sometimes I still cramp. Drink plenty of water, make sure your mucsles have plenty of protein and carbs. There is a reason for your mucles cramping but there are soo many factors that could cause this. GIve us more info when it happens, there is a reason, just need to find out what.

I am 19 years old, the gym I workout in is my university gym which is located in the basement of the building, but it is always heated to a good temperature. Not too cold, not too warm. I do stretch, but not my leg muscles, because it's an upper body day, I didn't know I needed to stretch my legs when doing upper body!!! I usually do about 5 to 10 minutes of cardio (very light) to just warm up my body.

In terms of protein and foods, I do my best to get all that my body needs. And when these cramps have happened, I remember eating well and taking in plenty of protein. So I'm still kinda confused to why this is happening sometimes. I will try and do more stretching and hope that will help, other then that, I don't know.

Thnx
    Terinox

Scorpion is offline Junior Member
    I used to get a cramp in my toe! It felt like they were crossing each other into a pretzel! Although you may be training chest, your whole body tenses up during some exercises and can cause slight cramps anywhere if you haven't properly warmed up.

So even when you're not training legs, just stretch them out a bit. In fact, stretch out your whole body before you work out. It's only an extra couple of minutes. Do your 10 minutes of cardio to warm up and then just stretch everything out for a bit until you feel loose all over.

When I started to stretch my whole body, it went away. It's annoying, but you'll feel more limber and loose. I found it great for my neck and lower back which used to feel a little strained sometimes after heavy chest and leg workouts.

Shrugger is offline New Member
    Somebody told me that cramps are sometimes caused by lack of potassium, so eating a bannana might be a good idea.

Peace - Shrugger

Thnx for the adivce, I'll give those both a try

Stretch my whole body like mad and eat a banana!

Thnx
    Terinox

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Ter, so let me get this straight, are you getting cramps at night or spasms? Do you know the difference? A spasm can feel like a cramp and if it is bad enough it can knot the muscle up. I went back and read your post and you say you have them at night sometimes. If that is the case, then try stretching at night before you go to bed on or when you think you might have a bad night. I think you are having spasms, due to the fact, if I am reading your post correctly, spasms tend to happen alot at night, cause you muscles are at rest.
    If this is the case, are you eating carbs after your workout to give you muscles the nutrients they need? If not try that. Make sure your body is getting the Insulin spike it needs. I used to have this problem when on a low carb diet, I solved my spasm problem by drinking a high protein shake at night, the milk in the shake seemed to give my muscles what they needed to stop the cramps, also milk has a sleep agent in it too to help you fall asleep. Works for me. Hope this helps brotha. I think personally you are getting spasms instead of cramps.

Well, maybe your right, it very well could be spasms. But the thing with the night is not the main case, it's more a matter of it happening during an exercise. The spasms at night have happened like only once in every two months or even less, once every 6 months. It hasn't even happened in the past year for all I can remember. But during an actual exercise, the leg muscles start cramping/spasming, i'm not sure. But it feels like the muscles are getting into a knot, that's the feeling I get, I don't know what is actually happeneing though.

Terinox

Thread Information