max_lft79 is offline New Member

bench press form

What do you guys think is the better way of benching? Feet up and back flat on the bench with no arch or feet planted hard on the floor with an arch in the lower back but shouders and a$$ planted firmly. I just want to make my chest grow as much as possible.

I also want my lower pecs to widen out. any advice on what may help?

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Why the hell do those paylay's put their feet up on the bench anyway? I don't want to see your testicles flopping around whilst you moan and groan to get that bar off your chest.

Feet planted on the floor provide good a good stable base to any bench press. I have a study stating this but i won't type it because the last time I printed a study, some guy went ghetto style on me and got all butt hurt. So, just take my word for it. GL.

max_lft79 is offline New Member
    I will take your word for it pump. lol

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i agree with PPP, although some times if i'm tryign to really isolate my chest at the end of a workout, i'll put my feet up on the bench so PPP can see my balls. i know he likes it when i do that! j/k pappa

Feet planted firm.... Here's another question, do you guys grip with your thumbs on the same side as your fingers (palm still facing towards your feet), or do you grip normally with thumbs opposite fingers?? I like the first one, thumbs on same side.

T-101 is offline New Member
    I used to like the 'thumbless' grip, but now I can actually lift more weight with the thumbs wrapped around the bar in a normal grip

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    MMMMMMMMMMM.....yummy Dane! That was good.

I use a normal grip i guess. i just grab the bar and start pushing it up and down.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    sorry poppa, i saw a chance... i use the thumbless grip for almost everything, not just bench pressing.

In the case of a better bench. Some guys put their feet on the bench to force themselves to keep good form. If you don’t have this problem, it’s not necessary. I find when I start arching my back on my lifts, its more weight lifting than bodybuilding. Sure the weight is going up, but it takes a lot of the isolation off of you chest muscles, and distributes it more throughout the rest of your body (triceps, shoulder, back, legs). Each has its benefits though, so don’t limit yourself to one or the other. Also, make sure that your ass stays planted. I mean, a little cheating here and there is OK, but when you look over and some guy looks like he’s pressing with an invisible decline bench underneath him, there is something wrong. If its that heavy, lower the weight! As for the grip, definitely thumbless for me. I find that it enables me to push more weight. Also great for rowing of any sort, it really allows you to isolate the back and keep your forearms and biceps out of it! :/:

Thread Information