njp
    njp is offline New Member

swimming techniques

I'm going swimming 3x a week now and I'm up to 2 miles a day. My question is what techniques (swim form) to use and what muscles do they concentrate on. Currently I'm mostly using the freestyle form and then I mix in the breaststroke. Thanks again.

njp
    I also forgot to ask, what's the best way to get the chlorine smell out? I shampoo and soap myself to death and yet I still have that chlorine smell. Is there a special soap/shampoo I could buy?

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    I'm a bit confused about your first question. Are you asking for general tips on techniques? Some tips are: make sure that your fingers are closed and your hand is cupped, come up for breaths every 2 to 3 strokes, and flutter kick from the hips not the knees.

If you are swimming a few miles at a time you must be doing pretty good. I would say that freestyle and breast stoke are good, that's what I use when I swim. I also like the back stroke. I wish I was good at butterfly, but I'm not, so I don't work on it. Swimming is a total body workout, but concentrates mostly on your shoulders and cardio vascular system.

For more info, you could do a search on google.com. I just did one and found lots of stuff.

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Oh yea, about the second question, that smell is hard to get rid of. I do use a special swimmer's shampoo that I bought at the drug store. Happy swimming.

njp
    Thanks for the info., I suppose I wasn't really asking the type of technique, but more of what to use (freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly) to get the best results.

I'll have to look for that shampoo, thanks again.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by njp
    Thanks for the info., I suppose I wasn't really asking the type of technique, but more of what to use (freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly) to get the best results.
    What's the matter with doggie paddlin your way back and forth across the pool? When I swam last year I used freestyle, a modified butterfly, and a modified backstroke. My modified butterfly I kept my head out of the water the whole time and went slow, extending my arms out close together, and then spreading them out and bringing them back. It'll hit your pecs and make your tits rock hard. And for the modified back stroke, I just turned over and sort of did the same thing as the modified butterfly. They both kinda looked like doggie paddling, but I tried not to use my legs so much and make it just arm movements.

Thread Information