punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member

Sick of it all....Traps?

Does anyone know anything i can do to make my traps grow? My problem is well genetics. My traps grow in thickness on my back but not in width or thickness around my neck. So I geuss I need someway to get some upper development. Ive heard that wide grip shrugs might help....I keep hearing diff things from diff people....Do Really Heavy....Do light weight and a shitload of reps. maybe some advice...but i have a feeling im just going to have to find what works for me..thanks
    PBB

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Deads and wide/narrow uprights. I don't even do shrugs anymore.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I just do deadlifts. No direct trap work.

Did you already have very developed traps? I have thick lower traps like on my back but as far as the shit comming outta your neck BDTR mine are non-existant besides two little humps. I might try some wide grips though...ive heard that they work well...thanks pheedno and B,
    PBB

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    The upright rows have helped mine.....just added last wk. some neck work....heard it would help also....I'll see in time and let ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by bornbad71
    The upright rows have helped mine.....just added last wk. some neck work....heard it would help also....I'll see in time and let ya know.

Awesome ...good deal bro. You got the same problem? Or just want them bigger?

sherpa27 is offline Junior Member
    well what kinda excercises are you doin now, i think one should go really heavy on traps, but make sure you get a full range of motion, i had the same prob as you but when i go really heavy on my other back lifts i dont need to train traps. Try farmers walks, pick up two heavy dumbells and just walk with them. those worked well for me

Quote Originally Posted by sherpa27
    well what kinda excercises are you doin now, i think one should go really heavy on traps, but make sure you get a full range of motion, i had the same prob as you but when i go really heavy on my other back lifts i dont need to train traps. Try farmers walks, pick up two heavy dumbells and just walk with them. those worked well for me

Thanks bro..might give that a try.

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    My favorite Trap exercise is shrugging with the weight behind your back. ROM is smaller and thus you can do more weight and for some reason it is easier for me to hold the weight behind me then it is to hold it in front of me. Shoulder day, I do upright rows every other time and front and rear barbell shrugs HEAVY.

animal-inside is offline Senior Member
    On back day do 3 heavey dead lift sets.. then 3 days later do wide grip and narrow grip shrugs..

BDTR is offline Retired
    I think i may just be genetically predisposed to have giant traps, but i know when i was shrugging 500+ lbs my traps didn't grow as much as they do with heavy deadlifts. Look at most powerlifters and how thick their necks and traps are, a lot of them dont do any direct trap work.

this is true BDTR......also Animal i like your idea alot...its combining the best of both worlds.....I like deadlifts but havent done them for a while....Then i can just throw in the shrugs on another day...shoulders...Thanks again guys.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punk_bbuilder
    Awesome ...good deal bro. You got the same problem? Or just want them bigger?
    I have the same problem and want them bigger...have read some good ideas on here....guess I got to get back to deadlifts.

my traps were not super great to begin with, so i do two exercises on my trap day and it has worked well for me to get size. I do dumbell shrugs holding them in fron of me and going all the way up and to the back and holding it for 5 seconds. I start at 80 do 15 sets, 90 12-15rep, 100 12rep, then i finish with 120 10 reps. Then I also do shrugs holding the olympic bar behind you and again holding for 5 second at the top.

Thread Information