Thread: Speed Training

cb25 is offline Banned

Speed Training

I wanted to get everyone's opinion of speed training for cardio - running sprints, etc as opposed to regular treadmill or elliptical trainer for cardio.

I used to do a lot when I was playing basketball, but I stopped a while ago. I prefer doing my cardio this way...plus I always felt like I was able to get some more cuts in my quads by doing this...any opinions?

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Well, for offseason I would use a slightly altered wsb split for weight training, and then use 2 off weight training days for sprints/plyometrics, and one day completely off.

During the season or when the season is close approaching and there is an emphasis on cardio, I'd drop the weight training down to one day a week just to help keep up strength. Probably something along the lines of a typical DE squat day.

cb25 is offline Banned
    I'm not playing competitively anymore. I'm just thinking about running sprints for cardio a couple days a week - as of now, i'm only playing ball a couple days a week for fun...

my question was more geared to the pros/cons of this type of training on bodybuilding

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cb25
    I'm not playing competitively anymore. I'm just thinking about running sprints for cardio a couple days a week - as of now, i'm only playing ball a couple days a week for fun...

my question was more geared to the pros/cons of this type of training on bodybuilding
    As long as your quads are not sore from your previous workout and you're getting plenty of cals in, then you'll be fine.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    As long as your quads are not sore from your previous workout and you're getting plenty of cals in, then you'll be fine.
    Thanks for the advice...last time i was playing ball religiously it was extremely hard to keep weight on...i'm going in this time with that knowledge so i'm starting to eat even more than i already do

Thread Information