Thread: Failure

Slugger is offline Junior Member

Failure

I recently just started training for boxing again. I also am currently on a weight training program as well. My program is:

Day 1
    Bench press, tricep pushdowns,preacher curls, reverse preacher curls
    Day 2
    Squats, deads, hyperextensions 1 set till failure with 25 lbs. plate, calve raises 3x15
    Day 3
    Military press, bent over lat raises, lat raises, shrugs
    Day 4
    Lat pull downs, chin ups, machine rows, neck machine 3x 10

Here's my problem, I was lifting on a rep scheme of 5 sets (10,8,6,4,failure while incresing the weight each set). Lifting till failure my last set is a bitch. But I was always told lifting till failure was the way to go.

Well anyway the day after I lift, especially biceps, I am so sore I can't even throw a punch. Keep in mind I am just starting lifting again (and boxing/running) after a 3 year layoff. So I was thinking instead of (10,8,6,4, failure) I would just do 10,8,6. Will this decrease my soreness and at the same time help me develop size and strength. (I am just looking to get some hardness and some strength for the ring). Or should I just keep doing what I've been doing and hope the soreness gradually goes away? Boxing is my first priority and I feel if I am too sore to train for boxing than there's no point and the lifting is counterproductive.

All in all would I would like to know is for my situation do I have to lift to failure or will a 10,8,6 rep scheme be enough? I am 23 years old 6' 210. I am not taking any roids but I am taking a multivitamin, glucosamine, glutamine, creatine, BCAA's, and a protein drink daily.
    Last edited by Slugger; 10-31-2003 at 06:57 PM.

Anyone? I could use all the help I can get!

wannagrow is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    Anyone? I could use all the help I can get!
    Ultimataly, your routine is not too bad if your goals are for strength and mass building, however, as you said boxing is your priority and weights is just to improve strength for the ring, i would recommend reducing the weights sessions to 2 sessions a week, concentratring on core lifts, and a few others as well, and the remainder of the days doing cardio and boxing specific training.

It is a good idea using weights for a boxer, but not so often that it affects your training.

You'll have to try it for yourself and possible other people on here might have a few suggestions as well, but maybe try

Day1
    Bench Press, mIlitary press, dips, and curls

Day2
    Squats, Deads, Chins

On a tuesday, friday split or however fits around you boxing training.

These workouts should still be done to the extreme, and to failure but will allow for recovery.

Instead of what I was planning (ya know 10,8,6 while increasing weight each set) would 12,10,8 while increasing weight each set be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    Instead of what I was planning (ya know 10,8,6 while increasing weight each set) would 12,10,8 while increasing weight each set be better?
    To tell you the truth, i don't think it would really matter, you'll just have to try it and see wich way you feel more comfortable for you. Me personally, i'd do the 10, 8, 6. but thats just me, although if you are just getting back into it, (i know you've just started boxing again, but have you been lifting weights for the last few years) it might not be a good idea to go as low as 6 reps, certainly not 4 as you were origninally intending. 12, 10, 8 would be a good starting point, as you feel like you getting stronger, and your form is really controlled, maybe its time for lower reps.

In any event keep at it, and keep us posted.

Are you intending on boxing competitively. "amature comps and the like"

Quote Originally Posted by wannagrow
    To tell you the truth, i don't think it would really matter, you'll just have to try it and see wich way you feel more comfortable for you. "
    I should have said, as long as you push yourself and go as heavy as you can for the amount of reps youve set.

Remember to do heaps of warming up, to avoid injury. especially for the first exercise in a workout.

Hey wannagrow I appreciate the reply. Thanks. Yeah I plan on competing in boxing, I also haven't lifted in 3 years. That's why I think it would be better to lift 12,10,8 (while increasing the weight each set) because, like you said, it would give me a chance to work on my form and start off slow and work my way up. I was planning on doing 12,10,8 for 6 weeks and than doing 10,8,6 for 6 weeks and than I was planning on going to 10,8,6,4,failure (all while increasing the weight each set for each rep routine).

Also, wannagrow, do you think me doing 12,10,8 (while increasing the weight each set) is good enough to get a pump and get ANY size and strength? Will lifting this way be beneficial?

Most definataly, as long as you push yourself to lift as heavy as you can for the required number of reps, (while still keeping form), and try to up the weight every workout. Some lifters never go below 10 reps, and make awesome gains, while other go as low as 4. as long as you push yourself and find out what feels best for you, you'll get stronger, and size gains will follow.

Good luck with the boxing

Thread Information