up_and_coming is offline New Member

Question Getting in Shape for the army!

I was curious if anyone has any good workouts to do before I get shipped off to Basic?
    Any Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

ectogainer is offline Junior Member
    are you looking to put on weight for the army or just be more prepared for basic training?

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Run. They're going to make you run until you throw up, so if you're not in "good running order" get out and run.
    They'll probably have you do a minimum number of chin-ups, sit-ups, and push-ups, so I'd do
    wide grip pull-downs (or pull ups),
    sit-ups, and
    bench presses.
    And running. Lots and lots of running.

ectogainer is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Tock 100%--thats what i was going to say if you were interested in preparing---might want to throw swimming in there too-- lots of natural movements--push ups, pull ups, chin up, sit ups, wall sits (standing against a wall in a seated position)--ENJOY

bouya_ak is offline Junior Member
    To score a 100% on the PT, you would have to do
    80 push ups
    80 sit ups
    2 mile run in under 13 min
    good luck

Do any of you know what the requirements are just to pass the PT? I'm sure I can do 80 sit-ups and running 2 miles under 13 min is fine too, the push-ups always get me. To train those should I just do more of them?
    Thanks.

"My sister was diagnosed with multiple personality disorder. She called me yesterday, and my Caller ID exploded."

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by up_and_coming
    Do any of you know what the requirements are just to pass the PT? I'm sure I can do 80 sit-ups and running 2 miles under 13 min is fine too, the push-ups always get me. To train those should I just do more of them?
    Thanks.

"My sister was diagnosed with multiple personality disorder. She called me yesterday, and my Caller ID exploded."
    =================

You won't want to "just pass" the PT . . . they're gonna provide plenty of external motivation if you ain't got enought internal motivation to exceed their minimum.
    If you can run and do 80 situps, that's good. You'll probably need to make sure you can do at least 20 pushups and 20 pullups. If you can only do 10 when you go in, don't worry, they'll get you to whatever number you have to do.

When I went in the USAF, to pass the PT, we had to do 10 pullups, 12 situps, and 12 pushups, and run 2 miles in 15 minutes. Pretty easy. Around 1977 they started making everyone in the USAF re-qualify every year, because the upper brass noticed there were an awful lot of flabby air force people around. Yah, sometimes they get someone who can't do the minimum, and they end up with a discharge.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Eat alot, and run alot. If you're going into the miltary you're going to lose a great amount of weight through all the hard training. My friend went into the Navy Seals and he lost 25-30 pounds from all the intense training. Start running like mad, they might make you run until you're on the verge of passing out..

Thanks for all the advice! I only have one more question and that is does anyone have a good running routine or could suggest one for me to start? Should I just get out there and run and run and run, or should I run distance one day and then do sprints? Thanks again

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Umm,, just an idea. They'll most likely make you jog a very VERY long distance. So I would do alot of sprints constantly so you would get used to jogging alot. You might wanna throw in some jogging too. Try to sprint as much as you can, then jog the next day. Then sprint again as long as you can and see if you increase the distance. Trial and error bro, best way to work.

Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoss827
    Umm,, just an idea. They'll most likely make you jog a very VERY long distance. So I would do alot of sprints constantly so you would get used to jogging alot. You might wanna throw in some jogging too. Try to sprint as much as you can, then jog the next day. Then sprint again as long as you can and see if you increase the distance. Trial and error bro, best way to work.

i don't understand why you are telling him to do sprints to train for long distance running

i doubt you'll be doing much explosive, sprinter type of running

so if i were you i would start jogging 2 miles a day

flex_300 is offline New Member
    I was curious if anyone has any good workouts to do before I get shipped off to Basic?
    Any Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    I just got done serving 4 years in the army. Right now, concentrate on building up your cardiorespiratory and muscular endurance. Do a lot of bodyweight exercises to failure, to include, push-ups, sit-ups, and unweighted squats. The Army does not test for pull-ups, so it is unnecessary to concentrate on those too much although it they would complement the rest of your training program. As far as building your cardiorespiratory endurance, run 2-3 times per week, working your way up to the 3-5 mile range. Before you concentrate too much on speed, work on getting your running form down (info. can be found on runnersworld.com). Other than that, just keep a positive attitude, and everything will be easy. I did these exercises in combination with my regular weightlifting program and found very good results. I constantly scored in the 330-350 range on my PT tests, which is higher than the army scoring charts even measure.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bound for Muscle
    i don't understand why you are telling him to do sprints to train for long distance running

i doubt you'll be doing much explosive, sprinter type of running

so if i were you i would start jogging 2 miles a day
    We often did this to train for the 3 mile in the Marines. Sprinting and Pick-Ups help teach good stride technique as well as pushing through walls of fatigue. Yet another thing we used to do to help train is to do timed laps. If you went around a track in 5 mikes you should continue to go around in the same time for the entire session (for example, 3 miles).

But it is also paramount to go on a good long distance run, preferrably at twice your tested distance. For you... going out and hitting an easy paced 4 mile run while concentrating on keeping a decent stride is just as necessary as practicing wind sprints and other endurance-focused methods.

Gearhead007 is offline Associate Member
    Last edited by Gearhead007; 09-27-2007 at 07:26 PM.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Run pushups situp and chins. Good form and you'll be set.

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    This depends on your age group. If your 18-21 you need 71 pushups 82 situps and your two mile under 13:08 for 100%, and you need 46 pushups, 52 situps, and under 15:56 to pass with 60%. Basic standards are lower than army standards, I think 36 pushups, 46 situps, and 16:36 on your 2 mile, i can't remember now. Passing basic standards is a joke. Where are you going to?

Thanks.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rampage76
    Passing basic standards is a joke.
    That's what I was thinking too. I would say Army standards are not much better.

They are trying to get normal people into decent shape. If you are already in shape you are set. For pushup practice do them everyday, as many as you can just to get your body used to the volume you will do in BT.

m16a2 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you do lots of pushups in basic, but only 36 to pass? that is a freaking joke. no one ever fails their final apft in basic, so no need to worry about it. try to max it if anything, or get 90% in all areas to get that nifty patch.

Thread Information