chinups Guest

Training for Fire Test

My physical exam is coming up and wanted to see what ppl thought I should do for leg training and cardio.

I do legs like everyone else, mad squats. I do normal cardio right now. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Bro, if your fire test is anything like here I can only say one thing...

cardio cardio cardio!!!!!

The 2 most important were the Shuttle run and running up and down stairs with a rolled 50ft lenght of 2.5in line over and over and over...

There was also running an obstacle course with heavy dummy on shoulder... but that wasn't too bad. There is also the "drag the dummy" backwards thing, but that too was no biggie.

And of course the usual strenght stuff (bench, push ups, squats, pull-ups...)

A lot of real strong bros take the FF exam and have no trouble at all with the strenght test, but many of them are killed off by the heavy percentage of cardio in the test.

(Oh and some depts make you take the cardio part of the exam in full gear + scba and you have an air limit so learn to control breathing!)

For legs and cardio, you may want to load up a backpack with sandbags (work up your weight) and run up and down stairs. If you got a bunker, then wear it to practice.

Get a shuttle run tape and do it over and over and over until you achieve better than the required results (many FF exams will keep the shuttle run tape going way past the "success" level as long as guys keep running and the longer you keep going, the better your score).

Just my 2 cents worth Been 10+ years since my exam so some of the younger bros may give you more up to date info.

Red

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    My training partner is just now doing this.
    everything RK listed, he's done.

My training partner completely quit doing legs(he's starting again now that the obstacle course and full gear stair runs are over) , as the soreness was severly screwing up his endurance.
    Started jogging 5 miles a day, and has since beat the Texas record for the obstacle course

According to him, cardio for endurance is the only thing to worry about if your a bodybuilder. The strength is already in the sack

chinups Guest
    Thank you

That is really good info. I just bought a treadmill which I will run on incline with weighted vest with 110-15 lbs every morning. I will also try to do some steps after my nightime work out. Anyone else have some opinions.

Thanks

chinups Guest
    Nice Pheedno! Well normally on wed I do legs and always keep my exercises at very high reps. WOW 5 miles, is this necassary cause if it is I got to start hitting it. Do you know what he does, jogs? runs? lil bit of both

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chinups
    Nice Pheedno! Well normally on wed I do legs and always keep my exercises at very high reps. WOW 5 miles, is this necassary cause if it is I got to start hitting it. Do you know what he does, jogs? runs? lil bit of both

He jogs, medium pace
    I don't think 5 miles is neccessary for the school. The most they've done in his class is 2 miles, also a 1 mile with 4 guys altrernating carrying a 50 ft hose, and a 1/2 mile fully suited.

chinups Guest
    they opened a place with a sample test that you an run. I plan on doing this twice a wk. It is the same as the real test and it is open 7 days a wk, so that is cool.

Yeah, practice the 5 miles bro... ours was a timed 3 miles run (can't remember what the time limit was, but faster = better score). Always a good thing to practice more than needed.

The real killer for me was the shuttle run... god to this day I HATE shuttle runs!

beep! run, stop, beep! beep! run back, stop, beep! over and over and over, faster and faster... ugh.

I found the shuttle run a LOT rougher than the 3 miles run as it is run all out, stop, run all out, stop...

As for stairs, I highly reccomend you practice it on real stairs... stairmaster machine just isn't the same.

Good luck with the exam bro!

Red

Thread Information