Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member

Shoulder Injury..now What

I have recently sustained a shoulder injury. I am in Physical therapy (what a load of crap)..anyway, I want to continue working out, but I must take it very easy on my L. Shoulder. Miltary Presses, Pec-Dec, Chin-ups, are out for a longtime..I can still bench but it must be light... The Phys. therapist had no real ideas for continuing working out except for the rubber band style w/outs..Well, I am taking advantage of the "down time" and have once again gotten back on my cutting diet, since I am limited to certain levels of physical activity..any ideas on how to keep things going? All inputs are greatly appreciated.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    nows the time to target and single out the legs.. how long will the injury last? I say have someone spot you on some negatives for DB raises.. side and front for some maintainence

Well, the Doc said that I would be down for atleast 12 weeks. Front DB raises 9with any substatial weight) would just further increase the injury. I am at a loss it seems! of course I am going to use some gear to try to keep me from from losing much so much mass while I am down, but I cannot allow myself to stay out of the gym...I just have to be smart about it. Thanks the input B.O.L.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I cant think of any exercise that would isolate the shoulder except legs.
    If your gym has an indoor pool you could try doing some light swimming and use your judgement on how hard you push it.
    Preacher curls and tri push downs

Your arms and legs should come out way ahead of the game....

BEREK-HALFHAND is offline New Member

Unhappy shoulder injury

First, What Type Of Shoulder Injury Do You Have? Is It A Strain? Micro Or Partial Tear. What Was Your Diagnosis? P.t. Is Only As Good As The Therapist(s) You Are Working With. There Are A Tremendous Number Of Exercises For Your Delts That If Slightly Modified Can Really Isolate The Muscles Of The Rotator Cuff. As Weight Lifters We Have Such A Tremendous Affinity To Neglet These Very Small But Important Muscles. Find Out Your Specific Problem And Then Go From There.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I've been in this boat so many times in my life so I know how you feel.....it sucks but there is no reason for your training to lack because of injury, it will simply change form, possibly permanently, as my training has due to shoulder injuries. The obvious is that you can still actively work anything from ribcage down: abs, legs, lowback etc. In addition, I would try to find exercises that allow you to use good amounts of weight without alot of movement around the shoulder joint: squats, deads, shrugs, pushups( if pain free ), and any different variation on these you can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by BEREK-HALFHAND
    First, What Type Of Shoulder Injury Do You Have? Is It A Strain? Micro Or Partial Tear. What Was Your Diagnosis? P.t. Is Only As Good As The Therapist(s) You Are Working With. There Are A Tremendous Number Of Exercises For Your Delts .
    I agree there!! The first PT/Doc I spoke with said that I have Rotator Cuff Inpingenment, and that I would be back to normal in 6-12 weeks. I went to a Doc, who took X-rays bearing weight, not-nering weight, from above, below..etc etc..he told me tha the impingenment is severe and to look at 6 months to back to normal. He is also going to prescribe some type of juice..I must go back on Tuesday for that...I asked for 6 months of Test E and Deca ..he just lauged and asked me what the heck did I know about that stuff...Ol Doc is going to give up some Ox..

Yep...Got Ox from the Doc! It seems that this injury is affecting my bench more than anything...Inclines are a bit easier than flat. I have been told to lay on the floor, to keep my shoulders steady and from hyper extending (like when doing flyes)..I guess just keep on until all is better.

Bro, I got a detached trap that causes me all sorts of shoulder nightmares...

Biggest problems are with flat and decline presses. No problems at all with inclined presses.

For all decline and flat barbel work I now use the smith machine and it makes a WORLD of a difference. Give it a try... it definetly keeps my shoulder happy.

Red

Red, I tried the smith machine..much better! Thanks! I have also began using a spotter to limit my rage of motion. It seems that when I keep my elbows paralell to my chest things seem to be much better...once I go all the way down (bar to chest) I want to crap, it hurts so bad..really! Thanks for the smith machine tip!
    Last edited by BamaSlamma; 12-08-2003 at 01:51 AM.

Thread Information