Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member

Excersises that are safe on the lower back

I hurt my back deadlifting about a month ago, and it's pretty much healed, although i can feel it every now and then.
    Anyway, I was wanting to know a few excersises I could do for my lower back which would not threaten re-injury?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    This is a reason I don't do bent over barbell rows. My lower back starts to kill from trying to stablize myself. So, I just stick with the T-bar row where I can rest my upper body on the pad.

As far as low back is concerned, do you do any exercises to strengthen it ?

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    This is a reason I don't do bent over barbell rows. My lower back starts to kill from trying to stablize myself. So, I just stick with the T-bar row where I can rest my upper body on the pad.

As far as low back is concerned, do you do any exercises to strengthen it ?

i had been doing deads until i hurt myself

now my back day consists of seated cable rows, lat pull downs and some machine where i sit and pull weight over my head and down to waist level, then back again and shrugs

as you can see i'm lacking a lower back excersise

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Bound for Muscle
    some machine where i sit and pull weight over my head and down to waist level, then back again
    it's probably this :

i would incorporate some type of low back exercises. either use the hyper extension :

or use the thera ball - there's numerous exercises you can do with these to strengthen your core.

also are you working your abs much ??

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    This is going to sound crazy, but start stretching your hamstrings to prevent back pain. I won't give you the in depth reason behind it all, but tight hamstrings has a huge impact on back pain.

realityarts is offline Member
    Strong abs will help to take some of the work away from the lower back.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    This is going to sound crazy, but start stretching your hamstrings to prevent back pain. I won't give you the in depth reason behind it all, but tight hamstrings has a huge impact on back pain.
    yeah but who's got time for stretching after a workout ??

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by realityarts
    Strong abs will help to take some of the work away from the lower back.
    I agree with that...........there are alot of people with lower back problems and weak abs.

Also good mornings and a lower back machine(if your gym has one) work the lower back very good.

Haven't thought about stretchin the hams.....makes sense though.

Quote Originally Posted by bornbad71
    Also good mornings and a lower back machine(if your gym has one) work the lower back very good.
    That is true and untrue. You can easily hurt your back using this machine, especially if you have a weak lower back to begin with. I will put together a lower back informational thing on this thread in a day or two. When I personal train, my specialty is back pain. I have been researching back pain for over 10 years as well as observed at many physical therapy clinics and was in physical therapy school for a while. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night too.

I will try to put together as much info as possible for treating lower back pain, I need to brush up on that stuff again anyway. Look for it in this thread or possibly a new thread in a day or two.

no i am not currently working my abs, it's winter and i don't care too much about them right now

i'm not really looking to strengthen other muscles in order to compensate for a weak lower back...i am going in today and will add hyper-extensions to regimen

jason, i look forward to reading whatever info you have to post on the subject

did hypers while holding a 25 pound plate, 10x3

gave me a nice burn and i didn't feel any pain, so that's good

and jason, you mind posting what type of stretching you would recommend for the hamstrings?

Quote Originally Posted by Bound for Muscle
    did hypers while holding a 25 pound plate, 10x3

gave me a nice burn and i didn't feel any pain, so that's good

and jason, you mind posting what type of stretching you would recommend for the hamstrings?
    When I reply it will be more information that you will want. I want to make it a complete comprehensive exercise program and explanation about back pain. I gave seminars on back pain last year, so I need to find my old notes.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PTbyJason
    When I reply it will be more information that you will want. I want to make it a complete comprehensive exercise program and explanation about back pain. I gave seminars on back pain last year, so I need to find my old notes.
    Jason that's cool bro........I will be interested in reading this when u post it....I have never had back pain from the lower back machine, but I only use it about every 2 wks. for 2 sets of 15-18 reps with lite weight....kinda more like a little warm-up for the lower back.......this could be the wrong thing to do....so looking forward to the read.

Thread Information