oracle is offline New Member

Buildup strength on benchpress. this ok?

I am trying out my new technqiue to build up my benchpress strength. All the time i am stuck at 100kg and nowhere can bench anything higher. Furthermore, i can't get anyone to spot me so at the fourth rep onward, so i always have to hang up the weights before i can properly exhaust my strength.

Well, for this method of mine; i use the power rack, put the holding bars a couple of inches above my chest when i laid down on a bench. Then load the bar with the max weights that i could push. So in the end, the bench press is not a full range movement but a half range. This way, i can safely let down the weights on the bars after afew reps, took abit of breather and start pushing. I must say, i can do 12 reps of 100kg but only 5 reps of 110kg on my first attempt.

My question is; can this method be viable way to work out my chest?
    advice please.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oracle
    I am trying out my new technqiue to build up my benchpress strength. All the time i am stuck at 100kg and nowhere can bench anything higher. Furthermore, i can't get anyone to spot me so at the fourth rep onward, so i always have to hang up the weights before i can properly exhaust my strength.

Well, for this method of mine; i use the power rack, put the holding bars a couple of inches above my chest when i laid down on a bench. Then load the bar with the max weights that i could push. So in the end, the bench press is not a full range movement but a half range. This way, i can safely let down the weights on the bars after afew reps, took abit of breather and start pushing. I must say, i can do 12 reps of 100kg but only 5 reps of 110kg on my first attempt.

My question is; can this method be viable way to work out my chest?
    advice please.
    It may be a good way to work through it, and you may see some gains, but it won't work forever. Remember, that a lot of people have their sticking point at the bottom of the rep (some are more towards the middle or top half of the rep as well) - so you won't be training your sticking point...you may still have trouble at the bottom of the lift.

I'd suggest to start throwing in dumbells more. It's a good variation, and it's easier to go to failure, since you can just drop the DB's when you're done...

cb25 is offline Banned
    Sorry...forgot to add that I would work on the Smith Machine as well...that way you can bail out if you need to. Some people don't like SM as much...but i think it's a useful addition to mix up your routine...

barbarian is offline Banned
    stick with it till it stops helping then go to somthing else.

Thread Information