Bound for Muscle is offline Associate Member

Locking out on leg press

while doing leg press yesterday in the gym one of my buddies watched me for a minute then told me after my set that i should not lock out during the leg press because it puts too much pressure on the cartilege in the knees

is this true? and if so, how do i avoid locking out? just go high enough to keep my legs slightly bent?

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Hmm how do i explain this? Locking your knees at the top of the movement is not good, not only because of potential harm to your cartilege, but also it relieves the strain from your quads and gives you a split sec of rest time between reps. Try to keep it as fluid as you possibly can.

Same as when benching, don't lock your elbows or hold the weight for a sec before you bring it back down.
    Last edited by BigMike J; 11-20-2003 at 02:22 PM.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    I wouldn't lock legs when you reach the top...it strains em pretty bad, and like BigMike says, it messes with your cartillege. I stop right before I reach the top and just keep goin at it.

Locking legs on press can also over-extend ligaments, a big no-no.

Red

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMike J
    Hmm how do i explain this? Locking your knees at the top of the movement is not good, not only because of potential harm to your cartilege, but also it relieves the strain from your quads and gives you a split sec of rest time between reps. Try to keep it as fluid as you possibly can.

Same as when benching, don't lock your elbows or hold the weight for a sec before you bring it back down.
    excellent post mike... locking legs out on ANY excersise IMO is a no-no.. even on squats.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Never lock out or hyper extent any joint.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Never lock out or hyper extent any joint.
    Amen brother! Damn hyper extent hurts like hell!

Do you guys pause at the bottom before the push?

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    yep never lock out........................ also I don't do it because it keeps stress on my quads.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148

No that wont make you puke You need the intensity in there!

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Adsvise is good. BUT, how many of you SEE others locking thier legs out. At my gym it apears to be about 1 in 3. And, in several isolated instances I have even seen people with (lousy) trainers do it and the trainers don't correct them Some of the guys with the worst form have the best physiques too. Sometimes life is so unfair.

I think you are lucky someone corrected you early before you did any cartledge damage and so you can make maximum gains.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    Adsvise is good. BUT, how many of you SEE others locking thier legs out. At my gym it apears to be about 1 in 3. And, in several isolated instances I have even seen people with (lousy) trainers do it and the trainers don't correct them Some of the guys with the worst form have the best physiques too. Sometimes life is so unfair.

I think you are lucky someone corrected you early before you did any cartledge damage and so you can make maximum gains.

Heck, i guess im just a loud person because if i see somebody using bad form i'll inform them right quick, and most of the time peps just say thanks and continue doing the same stupid shit. What dump fucks.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMike J
    Heck, i guess im just a loud person because if i see somebody using bad form i'll inform them right quick, and most of the time peps just say thanks and continue doing the same stupid shit. What dump fucks.
    I used to tell people when I saw them doing stuff wrong too. I rarely do anymore becasue as you say, most of the time they are not interested anyway. And besides, even when you do it wrong, you are getting something out of it I suppose (torn carelidge, a broken back. . . ).

Amen brother! Damn hyper extent hurts like hell!

NO!!!! dont pause... keep the constant movement going!!!

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

True

Quote Originally Posted by beenie

Poor form may not hinder growth until several years have gone by and they are no longer able to work out like they use to do too injured joints, ect. You know the type. The guys who are always talking about how good of shape they USE to be in.
    IC
    Last edited by Tobey; 11-21-2003 at 05:17 PM.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Not even to take a fart.. Too fucking dangerous in this position, if a know what I mean.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Not even to take a fart.. Too fucking dangerous in this position, if a know what I mean.

I know a lot of power lifters do rest pauses. I bodybuild (at least try too) and do not see the need to do pauses at the bottom of my movements. Keeping tennsion on the muscle is what's going to make it grow and it's a lot safer as well. I want to be in this sport for a long time so you need to train smart.

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    I do sometimes rest right after I go negitive. I feel like I hit them in a different way. I also sometimes put a bench under me when I squat and when I come down, I sit on it and put all my weight on it then come up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by nevaenuf
    I also sometimes put a bench under me when I squat and when I come down, I sit on it and put all my weight on it then come up from there.
    I do the same thing however once I feel the bench I stop but I do not sit down, just a very breif pause then proceed with the push. I'd hate to take the risk of relaxing and having all that weight on my shoulders.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Box squats...be carefull not to bounce to hard when you sit down nevaenuf, lowerback/spine will take all the inpact. I know people that have hurt themselves bouncing to hard

a bench!!!!! thats to high... you guys should be going down to a 2x4!!

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    to keep from locking out on movements, i'll have my lifting partner hold his hand out at a point right before full extension, when i hit his hand, i'll hold for a second, then come back down, really forces you to control the weight

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    no lockin allowed bad 4 joints

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Excellent responses. I don't do much pausing myself in anything. I keep a continous tension on the muscle like BigMike J mentioned. It does make it more difficult - by keeping the muscle putting out max effort... which is what you want...

Not to mention a lot of people on here can push 1000+ pounds on a Leg Press, that is way too much weight to try and support on your joints and bone structure!

Not trying to pick a fight but how does a breif pause at the bottom translate into not having tension on the muscle? I'm not talking about resting the load........just a breif pause, a second or just slightly longer. Heck, you can put your back against a wall, bend your knees like you are sitting in a chair and hold it there as long as you can and your muscles will be under full tension and that's with no weight at all.

I can understand not wanting to hold a pause when you have 400 + pounds on a bar, that's just plain dangerous.

Another thought, when you guys are doing an exercise, do you go slow or do you go as quick as possible. If I'm lifting I can lift more weight with a quick pace but slow it down to maybe a 4 or 5 count and it tears the hell out of my muscles and the amount of weight lifted is reduced a goodly bit.

microphobia is offline New Member
    Ya theres 2 styles bb-pl
    when I was powerlifting would pause at the top of a squat just to breath,but only when using max weight,
    then sometimes do a dropset and do a set of 6x3sec pauses.Now its a keeping tension the whole time.
    ps. never locked out on legpress.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Not trying to pick a fight but how does a breif pause at the bottom translate into not having tension on the muscle? I'm not talking about resting the load........just a breif pause, a second or just slightly longer. Heck, you can put your back against a wall, bend your knees like you are sitting in a chair and hold it there as long as you can and your muscles will be under full tension and that's with no weight at all.
    Locking out usually refers to locking the joints up so the weight is deverted off the muscle and held by the bone structure and joints. Sounds like you are reffering to an isometric hold in the contracted position - which certainly keeps the tension on the muscle and produces a higher degree of stress than simply going to concentric failure. A tempo like this, 4-1-2-0 being 4 seconds to lower (eccentric/negative), 1 second hold in the contracted position, 2 seconds up (concentric/positive) and then 0 seconds at the end - which is where a lock out could occur...
    Last edited by Warrior; 11-26-2003 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Sounds like you are reffering to an isometric hold in the contracted position - which certainly keeps the tension on the muscle and produces a higher degree of stress than simply going to concentric failure.
    My bad bro, that was what I was talking about. When doing leg ext. I'll hold the load for a 5 sec. count but not in the locked out position, knees are still slightly bent.

Thread Information