vinh is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Tricky question, is this ok?

Ok ive heard someone say that by sitting on the computer you start to lose muscle mass. I sit on my computer for hours after hour.

Anyone know if you do lose muscle mass when your on the computer 24/7? or does sitting the computer 24/7 considered as resting?

And please answer me not no more jokes. Take me seriously.

Mallet is offline Anabolic Member
    I think the body needs the eyes closed for a little REM to qualify
    as resting!

However, since I've been on this board , I'm getting less sleep every day!

I guess that's part of the side effects to Knowledge?

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Re: Tricky question, is this ok?

Vinh, I do take you seriously, but I can't resist this one, bro . . . Instead of sitting on your computer, try putting the computer on a desk and sitting on a chair in front of your computer.

Anyway, the answer is no - you do not lose muscle mass through cyber-addiction, unless it is really 24/7. Or unless you are sitting on your balls, which could do a number on your testosterone count.

But I digress . . . Since you're hitting the gym and working out, Vinh, I wouldn't worry too much. You're in no different a position than, say, someone who has a desk job and sits for eight hours a day but hits the gym for training. The real damage comes to people who sit for 8, or even 24, hours a day and don't get any exercise at all. In that sense, you'll find that someone who sits a lot but also has a solid workout routine is probably in better shape than, say, a construction worker who moves bricks all day but doesn't have a solid workout routine. Sitting is sitting, work is work, and neither is the same as working out.

So keep doing what you're doing, and don't sweat the hours spent in front of a computer. Or sitting on the computer, if that's what you're really doing (although I don't know how you would see the monitor if you did).

Because you're 17, Vinh, I will assume that you're still a student. Between sitting in classes, then sitting at the computer to do homework/write papers/do research, etc., there's obviously a lot of time that you'll be sitting on your butt. So make sure you schedule specific time to hit the gym and, obviously, leave the computer at home. A well-planned workout will ameliorate the effects of sitting so much.

Also, there's no reason you can't improve yourself while you're sitting at the computer. For example, one of the best exercises to tighten the abs is to sit in a chair and lift your feet off the floor. It's an old Air Force Aerobics exercise, and it works great. (Try it now - lift your feet and press in your abs with your hands. You'll feel how tight they get.)

On a serious note, however, watch out for cyber-addiction. There's still a real world out there, with lots of real people and lots of real relationships to be made. Try not to get too hooked (like the rest of us). And also on a serious note, if you're on the computer that much, make sure you have a glare screen with radiation protection, or you'll need glasses way too early in life.

Oh, one other thing, Vinh . . . Never let sitting at the computer interfere with your bowel functions.* (Alright, sorry for that one. But don't let it interfere with your asking any questions. I really do take you seriously, bro.)
    Last edited by TNT; 01-06-2002 at 03:34 AM.

vinh is offline Junior Member
    TNT wow, thats more info then i need, your the man! thanks man and you remember my toilet question dont you.. eh?

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I think TNT covered that well but just remember that sitting at your PC for hours on end does strain your eyes.You need to take a break often

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by vinh
    thanks man and you remember my toilet question dont you.. eh?
    Sitting at your PC won't make you lose muscle mass Vinh...but before you ask...YES...sitting on the toilet WILL!!! So keep your bowel movements to under 4 minutes...no reading!!

I'm just kidding with you Vinh

Thread Information