GRIPS is offline Associate Member

left arm stronger then right on bench

When i'm bench pressing i have a problem with my right arm keeping up with my left arm, so bad that the person spotting me only needs to help out on the right side of the barbell. And I'm also right handed. I need advice on how to even out my strength in both arm so I can bench press correctly. And it only on flat bench that i have this problem.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    DUMB BELLS will help with that problem.
    Or solution #2 which isnt a quick fix; is to lower your bench weight. It will give your left arm time to catch up but you will be going backwards on your gains, BUT your form will be correct and that counts VERY MUCH.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, besides what berm said, you may want to look into becoming a switch-hitter

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Bro this happens all the time. At most times, your arm that rests more than the other will usually be bigger. So for example if you are right handed, and you do everything with your right hand, there is a good chance that your left arm might be bigger. But because you actually do everything with your right arm, there is also a chance that your right arm will be stronger then your left. So your left arm is bigger coz its gets more rest, and your right arm is stronger coz its more active. This happens over a long period of time. I have no idea how to fix this problem. My left arm lags behind my right.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been lifting? Not long I would guess. This will work itself out in a month or two. It could be one side is stronger or just more coordinated if it's your dominent side.

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    I have this problem with every exercise. But it has gotting alot better the more I work out. I ussally use dumbells and start with my weak arm. Then when I go to my strong arm, I only do as much as I could do with my weak one.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    i used to have this problem too, i fixed it by switching to doing everything w/ db, it's still not completely even, but when i use bb, there is almost no favoritism

clipper is offline Associate Member
    I went to db and it has helped me. Also use db for triceps. Make sure you work them indivdual so that the weak on has a chance to get up to speed.

Shud is offline Associate Member
    just keep training and it will def even out man......combination of dumbell movement and machines with free moving arms will help......good luck,...most people have this problem when first starting...

eggplant is offline Member
    why did everyone think its bcos of imbalance strength of the arms? why not the chest? i think its most prob the chest..stick to dbs..but most impt=mind muscle link

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    it's most likely arms because most people favor one arm over the other, so bi's tri's forearms tend to get more work in everyday work, also, you can tell if it's your chest by where you're failing in the movement, the farther from your chest the bar is, the more involved your tri's and shoulders become, so if you're leaning from right off your chest it's your pecs, if it's half way up, like most people will, it's your arms

Thread Information