Thread: Max Reps/Sets

Sculpter is offline New Member

Max Reps/Sets

I've been hearing all different information from (usually uneducated) people about what an appropriate number of reps, sets and weight to do. So what's the truth behind the talk? I've listed a few of the "truths" I've heard

1. 2-4 reps 90% weight 5 sets - have a good rest and some water between sets

2. 8-10 reps 75% weight 3 sets - all round what most people do I think

3. 15+ reps 3 sets - with short time between sets

4. High reps low low weight lots of sets - waste my time really.

5. Negative sets. Start high weight go till exhaustion then halve the weight...go to exhaustion...halve the weight and so on.

So that's pretty much what I've heard being tossed around the local gym. I know different strokes for different folks but seriously, there must be some physiological optimum for getting bigger and stronger.

Cheers,

S

KeyMastur is offline VET
    well if you want to get stronger, you've got to keep pushing your body and forcing it to get stronger - low reps, increase weight. basically max out every day.

you want endurance do your high reps.

you want hypertrophy, most will say the 8 rep range.

microphobia is offline New Member
    I agree with keymaster exept I wouldnt max out every day,would be to hard on snc also unless you need a 1rep max keep your reps at least 3.

Sculpter is offline New Member
    Thanks KeyMastur, I'm looking for strength AND size so I'll stick to the 5-6 rep range for the primary muscles

Anybody have any words on the negative sets? Not sure if I have the right name or not.

Another issue, is explosive force in the contraction phase with slow return in the relaxation phase better at improving strength and fast twitch muscle fibres? Or should I stick with slow contract slow relax.

I've been reading on power lifters and according to some, it's not the weight you lift but the force you put into it. For all you math geniuses out there...

Force =mass x acceleration

So knowing this I could push half the weight twice as fast to get the same force used. I'm not saying I'd use this in all cases but it seems to make sense for dynamic movements you'd use in real life. Like explosive squats for jumping and so on. I'm big on the rock climbing so the same would go for shoulder and bicep exercises

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    for powerlifting, the best basic routine to start with is the 5X5, start off with a light warm up, do 5 reps, go up in weight, do five reps, now your real work begins, pick a weight you can barely squeeze out a sixth rep with out a spot, now do 5 reps for three sets with that weight, if you get it, next time put on 5-10 lbs and do the same thing, if you get less then 12 total reps on the three work sets, drop the weight next time,
    as for how to run the tempo on reps, i go down slow and push as hard as hell to get the weight up as fast as i can, only when you start getting up in weight, it's not going to go up very fast anyway, and by slow i mean at least a three count, have your partner count for you so you don't cheat, and stick to basic movements!

Thread Information