ross3814 is offline Member

does closer grip on bench develop middle chest more?

I've heard that if you take a closer grip on the bench that it develops the inner pecs more. I usually use a pretty wide grip and my pecs are only big on the outside. It dosen't even look good. Also my upper middle chest is lacking hardcore. How do I beef it up?

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    what up man, havent talked to u in a while, closer grip just does tris more, if u wanna hit the inner part then do some flyes. then do incline flyes for upper middle section..

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    Bismillah
    Yeah, close grip will work your tris more but you have to keep your elbows in (by you side). I have found that if I flare my elbows out more there is a definite burn in the middle chest. Check it out I guess.
    If I really want a mid-chest burn though, I'll do flyes and cable crossovers.

Archangel240 is offline New Member
    Does closer grip work inner pecs more so than wide grip. Sure a little, but all chest presses will stimulate the whole pectoral region. Stick with medium grip presses and target the middle pecs with machines and cables (I never thought I would recommend machines and cables but they have their place too). At the top of your pressing movement, sqeeze the crap out of your chest without locking out.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    For inner pec I'd have to go with flies, imho. Seem to work well for me. Oh, close grip bench works tri's and flaring your elbows out will subtract from tri's but will hit more delts than chest, again inmho.

Try cable cross overs as well.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    do dumbell flies.. i like them much much better than cable flies.

BUYLONGTERM is offline Anabolic Member
    the closer the grip, the more you will be working your tri's.The wider the grip, the more you will be using your chest.

ross3814 is offline Member
    what about that exercise where you raise the cables from your waist up? i've been told recently that that really hits upper well.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    agree with the bro's.. Closer the grip more ti's u are using

mcnst01 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianMuscle
    agree with the bro's.. Closer the grip more ti's u are using
    Try dumbell fly's. While you bring the dumbell's to the top (squeez position) turn your wrists so the pinky side of your hand rotate inward. hits your inner chest a bit more.

test is offline New Member
    The truth be told you can't work inner chest versus outer chest. You can initiate the muscular contraction from the insertion point (humerus) or the origin (sternum) and u may feel it on one end more than the other due to the amout of stress placed on that region. Muscle fibers fire on the all or none principal. You cannot train just a portion of a muscle fiber ie. just the inner portion of the chest muscle. If your chest is lacking chances are triceps are dominate in the movements you are doing for chest. Try isolating the chest more with movements like the fly ( Pure adduction of the humerus.....what the chest does as a prime mover). I hope i have not confused u more. Also realize insetion and origin points determined by your genetic make up play a role in developmennt. Take care.

slobberknocker is offline Associate Member
    The chest flexes as a whole. Closer grip just puts less emphasis on delts and pecs and more on tris.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Close grip affects triceps mainly...

LM1332 Guest
    that what you mentioned with the cable pullling from under will really mess your pecs up i mean in a good way you will burn pretty good. I have tried it but as i tend to go heavy on the cables i feel more bicep work then chest so i stay some what light

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by 50%animal
    that what you mentioned with the cable pullling from under will really mess your pecs up i mean in a good way you will burn pretty good. I have tried it but as i tend to go heavy on the cables i feel more bicep work then chest so i stay some what light
    but it targets the lower pecs more than the upper. Great exercise though..

LM1332 Guest
    i dont know bigOL i always felt it threw my whole inner chest i dont know it works for everybody differently

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Ive said this in A LOT of posts already. Ah nevermind. I will just stick with my answer YES, it hits the inner chest.

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    Change your form on your benching. Regardless of what excercise your doing, all chest excercises should hit the whole width of your chest both inner and outer.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slobberknocker
    The chest flexes as a whole. Closer grip just puts less emphasis on delts and pecs and more on tris.
    Word bro.

Bermich just cause you say yes dosnt mean your right cause your wrong this time. Shocker!

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Close grip keeping elbows straight does your tris.

Thread Information