Mighty Duck is offline Junior Member

Bench Press Question...

Hey gang,

I am having trouble with bench press/chest exercises!
    No matter how wide or narrow I grip the bar, i get little or no burn in the chest. Seems like everything is in the upper mid-back and shoulders.
    The confusing part for me is I am getting stronger, and bigger, but it makes me wonder what I could do if I got a good consistent burn from my benching.
    Cable X-overs work fairly well, and I get a good burn from that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thump

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Since the Cables work and considering their pretty restrictive I'd suggest your bench press form is off and your possibly going too heavy to bring it back to a strict form.
    Bring the weight within a range where you can lower the the barbell to your nipples or very slightly higher, and keeping you arms parallel to the barbell, ie. your elbows should be in line with your shoulders to properly stretch your pecs and take some Tricep muscles from doing more of the work.

bouncer

Sounds like a plan to me!
    The machine I use is not the best in the world, it is a self spotting squat rack-bench press. The way it is designed, I have to point my elbows down toward my waist more because my arms are too long and hit the uprights. ( I am 6'3" )
    Sounds like I need a new set up!

Thanks Bouncer!

Thump

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Take some weight off the bar and always go just above the nipple area.....The higher you go with the bar the more you will hit the delts....

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Originally posted by Thump
    The machine I use is not the best in the world, it is a self spotting squat rack-bench press.
    Tell me this isn't a smith machine ??? Those are the worst for bench press b/c it doesn't give an accurate range of motion.

Also, try using dumbells and slow, controlled movements, trying to feel the pecs squeeze when you lift. Works for me.

vinh is offline Junior Member

Re: Bench Press Question...

Originally posted by Thump
    Hey gang,

I am having trouble with bench press/chest exercises!
    No matter how wide or narrow I grip the bar, i get little or no burn in the chest. Seems like everything is in the upper mid-back and shoulders.
    The confusing part for me is I am getting stronger, and bigger, but it makes me wonder what I could do if I got a good consistent burn from my benching.
    Cable X-overs work fairly well, and I get a good burn from that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thump
    i have same trouble for chest too... i am getting stronger yes but i dont feel it too..

I do all grips, weights and all, must be my height or something that is wrong.. iam 5"4 o well..

mopar_13 is offline New Member
    that happened to me when I first started working out

Be sure to go right to the chest when lowering

Try to squeze the chest when bars up and focus on the chest

Also your chest may be a bit weaker so your shoulders are taken over

Give it time

vinh is offline Junior Member
    i solve my mystery, i was holding the grip too wide, you tryed holding it more close?

sp33dg33k is offline Member
    the closer your grip, the more your triceps come into play. try going shoulder width apart.

ditch the smith machine and use a plain bench and barbell or a plain bench with heavy dumbells.

Gotta agree with the form. Start with the bar at the bottom of your chest to start, and finish with it over your eyes, working on an upward arc. Squeeze your chest at the top of the movement and keep your shoulders back. Sounds like your lifting them off of the bench at the top of the movement. If this proves to difficult, lower the weight until you are able to get your form right. The reasoning for you size and strength increase is probably exactly what you stated. Your shoulders are getting sore, hense they are absorbing most of your w/o. Wide grip will bring your chest into play more than anything, because you will be unable to lock out at the top and shift the workload to your triceps. There are also a variety of other movements you can do, such as a lot of the other guys have suggested. This IMO is the best way to do your barbell press. Oh, I almost forgot. Keep your ass on the bench!

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by KeyMastur
    Also, try using dumbells and slow, controlled movements, trying to feel the pecs squeeze when you lift. Works for me.
    KM hit the mark with this one. For, at least. one month forget your ego at home don't give a rats ass how much you lift in the gym (I know it's easeier said than done). Use dumbells for bench and inclines. You have a greater ROM nad can really feel the stretch. Make sure you pause at the top of the movement and CONRACT the muscle....really focus on feeling it. You will be using considerably less weight (especially at the beginning) but you will be strengthening muscles and tendons you have not used before. Also stabilizing muscles will get stronger and in turn your bench will go up.

Dumbell Press

Good info pete. I second that. Couldn't have written it better myself.

Thanks for the great advice gang!
    The machine is a smith-type, and a pain in the ass! I changed to a regular flat bench and lost 25lbs, off my usual max. But the burns are MUCH deeper and last longer! I think I am on the road to recovery!
    Thanks gang!

Arnold Zane is offline New Member
    KM is right leave the smith machine to the guys who like working there knee caps by putting 500 lbs on the bar and squatting down only 2 inches and grunting like a bear(that makes me crap up when I see this). Any way stick to the bbs and dbs. Try lowering the bar close to your neck rather to you nipples I feel this invovels my chest more and my delts and tris less.

Thread Information