Thread: Pinky Is Numb?

Scorpion is offline Junior Member

Pinky Is Numb?

Okay here's a weird one. I had a great back workout last Sunday, but one I got home I noticed the top part of my right pinky was numb - like when you hold an ice cube for too long. It didn't interfere with anything but it didn't go away completely either. Then I did chest on Thursday, and again it went numb - this time it felt like hitting the funny bone. It shot down from my pinky to my forearm. But it didn't affect the workout. Now it's still a little numb, but I don't know if it's anything to worry about. Any of you guys experience anything like this or know what it might be?

ptbyjason Guest
    Well, that would be your ulnar nerve that is causing that. It is what is causing the numbing of your little finger and the lateral half of your ring finger (in case you didn't realize that it was numb too. The problem with the ulnar nerve is it the way it runs through body. It runs under your "funny bone" (cubital tunnel) and because of the anatomy of the arm it is a major potential site of entrapment. I will try to find a picture for you. I don't know the exact reason why you would be having the pain, but that is what is happening. Somehow your ulnar nerve is getting trapped, therefore causing numbness.

ptbyjason Guest
    Ok, this picture should clear it up for you a little better if you are actually interested in the anatomy of it.

Woh dude, thanks for the speedy response. I appreciate you finding the picture too and that's exactly what it is! Now that you pointed it out I can find some info on it.

One thing though, you mentioned "major potential site of entrapment." What does that mean?

- Oh man, I found this article on it. Doesn't sound good for me if it's this serious:

Ulnar nerve entrapment
    Last edited by Scorpion; 01-25-2002 at 07:28 PM.

ptbyjason Guest
    The best way to explain a "potential site of entrapment" is with this quote. (I know what it is, but I feel this is a very clear explanation of it.)

Bending the elbow stretches the ulnar nerve and puts pressure on it as it passes through the cubital tunnel, pressing it against the bone.
    So basically all over the body there are potential sites of entrapment for the nerves. There is one for the radial nerve in the wrist I believe as well as one near the femoral sheath (in the leg) and tons more other places that I really don't want to list. Now it is not a serious problem until you either have constant numbness, pain, or some type of deformity. There are several deformity of the hands that can occur due to nerve damage. If you see the last 2 fingers of your hand beginning to bend slightly and stay fixed in that position, then there could be a problem. Don't let it get to that point. If you have continuous numbness or pain, get it checked out. Once it gets to the point of deformity, nerve damage has already occured. I am thinking that the way you do your bench press is putting added tension on to the ulnar nerve and possible slightly damaging it (this is a guess, not medical advice). Now it may be your technique that you have changed or it could be a growing muscle that is altering the path enough of the nerve so that it may compress against the bone. Either way, just watch it, and if it gets any worse, consult a physician.

ptbyjason Guest
    Originally posted by Scorpion
    Oh man, I found this article on it. Doesn't sound good for me if it's this serious:

Ulnar nerve entrapment
    Don't worry too much bro. Just read my post. It will be ok as long as it doesn't continue to happen. I also viewed that website (in fact that is where I took my quote), but that is for a more serious condition. Right now you have very mild symptoms. Just watch it for now and if it gets worse start worrying about it.

Okay I first got it when I did bent-over rows. I'm using heavier weight now, but use strict form and a controlled motion. But when I felt it on chest day I was doing light dumbell presses. - I think it's the heavier weight that initially caused it. Maybe a light stinger is all. I guess my body needs a bit of time to adjust to the new weight?

I just want to make sure that I'm not damaging a nerve. I don't want to hold back on the weight just when I'm getting stronger. I guess time will tell if it's something or not. Thanks for all the info ptbyjason - you know I really appreciate.

Thread Information