RageControl is offline Senior Member

Question Deadlift Grip ??

I was just wonderin how you guys grip the bar . Do you grip the bar with both palms facing you or alternate one palm facing you and one palm facing away.

Alternating grip myself. I feel as though I have more control over the bar this way, not to mention a stronger grip. Also, with each set, I alternate grips, left palm out/right palm in and visa vera. so I don't end up with lopsided forearms.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Iam with BIG RED on this one.....It keep the bar more stable...

RageControl is offline Senior Member

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

Alternate

Most definnetly an alternate grip. No particular reason why though. It just "feels more natural" to hold the bar this way. I have not ever heard of a right or wrong way for this particuolar techinque. I suppose it is just a call on personal preference.
    IC

justins82 is offline New Member
    i like the standard grip, i feel like im gonna tear my bicep if i do alternate grip, 400 lbs pulling on my bi does not feel good at all, just gotta strap up reaaaaaaal tight

Socio is offline Associate Member
    I used to do a alternate grip .. but found that when doing deads.... at my gym the bar has a slight bend so it would roll out of my hands ... so now i use a normal grip and start my deadlifts with the bar on the rack and just take a couple steps back ... but walking with 350lbs in your hands is kinda uncomfortable
    But am able to get 3-4 more reps on workign set and increased my 1 rep by 40lbs since i tried it this way...
    and i know too many guys tear their bicep by doing alternate grip and i dunno about u but a torn bicep scares this shiet out me at 19yrs old!

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Thumbs up

I do and alternate grip but change it on every set.

jersey juice is offline Member
    Alternate, definitely get a better grip, feels weird at first, but you do feel a difference in grip strength.

G-S Guest
    Standard here, and alternate. Standard when going really heavy (anything over 400lbs) just so I am not at risk for tearin a bicep.

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    Palms facing me, and I keep my feet shoulder-width apart

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    What kind of deadlifts are these? The ones where you are just bending over at the waist? Keeping your back straight and all, and keeping your legs straight? Or is it the one where you are bending the legs, brining the weight down along your thighs? I forgot what they were called.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Oh, and one more thing. When people say "deadlift" which are the commonly refering to?

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Terinox
    What kind of deadlifts are these? The ones where you are just bending over at the waist? Keeping your back straight and all, and keeping your legs straight? Or is it the one where you are bending the legs, brining the weight down along your thighs? I forgot what they were called.
    The latter you describe are just known as "deadlifts" the former are called "stiff legged deadlifts" or SLDL's. By the way you should NEVER keep your legs straight on stiff leggged deadlifts, but keep you legs bent at the knee. Not only will this prevent a possible knee injury, it was also work the hams and glutes more effectively.

Julu is offline New Member
    I disagree Canes....I don't feel them at all in my hammy's if i bend my knees...it is all glutes....just keep your back tight with a good arc and you'll be fine.

Later Bros

Thread Information