UCFgymguy is offline New Member

Working out the same muscle group two days in a row?

Hey guys I was just wondering what you experienced lifters thought about this.

If I go to the gym and work out chest really hard and Im not sore at all the next day, can I go to the gym the next day and work it out again? Ive tried this one time before and after the second time working it out it was sore and I definitely noticed more growth. Of course I would wait around a week to work out the muscle group again. What do you guys think?

KINGKONG is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I would never work a muscle grup two days in a row it kinda defeats the whole
    break down let heal theory that bodybuilding is built on, even if it is a weider principle,
    72 hr min is what I would give each muscle group

Latimus is offline Banned
    you didnt work it hard enought the first time...i would never work the same muscle again...bad idea.

Swellin Guest
    When I workout hard, that body part is sore for at least three days, sometimes more. I suggest modifying your workout to do a better job of working the target muscle on the first day. Don't hit the muscle back to back.

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Bro this is a big NO, NO!!! You dont want to tax your body even if it isnt sore. your body needs at least 48 hrs. recovery before you even think of working it ot again. you dont wanna hamper your goals by getting injured right?

Spoon

roccoswello is offline Associate Member
    Just up your weights on day one. You can tell when you leave the gym if your gonna be sore the next day. Don't leave till you get that feeling...

Tribex is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFgymguy
    Hey guys I was just wondering what you experienced lifters thought about this.

If I go to the gym and work out chest really hard and Im not sore at all the next day, can I go to the gym the next day and work it out again? Ive tried this one time before and after the second time working it out it was sore and I definitely noticed more growth. Of course I would wait around a week to work out the muscle group again. What do you guys think?
    First off, as someone already said, you didnt work it hard enough if you werent sore... take less rest, or go heavier, or move slower, or something, but you musta missed an important step in that first workout. Next, never work the same muscle to days in a row, they need time to recover, especial a big muscle like the pec, takes at least 48 hrs IMO. You said you "def noticed more growth"... thats impossible, no one is gonna grow from one workout, it was just you feeling more sore, and when ur sore you notice the muscle more and its "feels" bigger. So hit it hard and intense, let it rest, and you will progress man.

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Ok something I feel like adding.. Just b.c your not sore it doesnt mean that you didnt have a good work out... Hell I have been working out for like 4 yrs now and I bench 325 on my last set of chest I dont always get sore but I know that I had a good workout.. Like everyone else said you NEVER NEVER NEVER work the same muscle out 2 days in a row that will lead to over training and anything that you did will just go to waste.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    There have been weeks where I did flat bench one day then did incline the next day then military the day after. IMO, I was hitting different muscles and was able to work each one harder due to less fatigue from doing 12 sets of presses trying to hit each group. It is kind of off base but maybe that is what you were curious about...

Chris Columbus is offline Junior Member
    I am new to AS, but I have been lifting for a minute so to speak. It has been my expericence that if I once in a blue moon, do something weird and shock a muscle it will stimulate growth. However, I can't say that this has ever happened on the chest, but it does occasionally work for every other muscle group.

However, I have to say that as a general rule less is more!!!!

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Columbus
    I am new to AS, but I have been lifting for a minute so to speak. It has been my expericence that if I once in a blue moon, do something weird and shock a muscle it will stimulate growth. However, I can't say that this has ever happened on the chest, but it does occasionally work for every other muscle group.

However, I have to say that as a general rule less is more!!!!
    Chris has hit this closest....

Every once in awhile is FINE!! I remember starting a thread on IBB about this and got some support. On the second day just make sure you warm-up a little longer than normally. But every 3-4 months would be fine to try this out. You break the muscle down... then break it down more the next day.. THEN you let it rest and heal 7-10 days and do a normal lift on that muscle the next time.

LM1332 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    Chris has hit this closest....

Every once in awhile is FINE!! I remember starting a thread on IBB about this and got some support. On the second day just make sure you warm-up a little longer than normally. But every 3-4 months would be fine to try this out. You break the muscle down... then break it down more the next day.. THEN you let it rest and heal 7-10 days and do a normal lift on that muscle the next time.
    3 to 4 month nuh i would think its ok to do every month every 4th week. But if you gonna hit it, hit it hard and dont do anything else and after your done make sure to eat a lot of food and protein to make sure that it will heal.

decadbal is offline Banned
    just bc your not sore, doenst mean the muscle wasnt taxed, i never get sore, from anything, legs a little bit, but nothing else, so that doenst mean i should workout everything 2days in a row. it also doenst mean you didnt hit it hard enough, only you can tell if u did, your body wont tell you, you cant bust ass and not be sore, and you can super set and be sore as all hell...

Thread Information