Lush is offline Associate Member

When to do Deadlifts?

I've managed to get my work out routine pretty much down pat except for deadlifts.
    Right now I do 4 excercises on back day including weighted chins (front), bent-over barbell rows, and cable rows. Total of 11 or 12 sets, not including warm-ups.

I'd like to do Deadlifts on back day but I'm just to tired after all that- and I like to do deadlifts last in a work out since they're so killer. So I do them on chest day.

Do you bro's think I'm going to be working back too frequently this way? I sort of figure that since deadlifts are mostly for lower back- I'm probably not over training. but I don't know. Should i just suck it up and do D-lifts on back day.

When do you guys do deadlifts?

physio_sport is offline Banned
    personally i do them once or twice a month. and thats if i feel like it. i mostly concentrate on sqauts and other power exercises. and if you want to do them regulary i suggest doing quater deadlifts that where you put the pin upto knee level on the rack and do them from there these are much safer then the full deadlifts.
    Last edited by physio_sport; 09-16-2001 at 05:35 AM.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Dead lifts are good and bad, I mean, I never do them, but they are good just to mix up your workout, and I think it promotes a burst of what muscles need, "shock". I never do them, maybe once in a blue moon.. but hey different strokes for different folks..

Sicily and Sporty- trust me dead lifts are the bomb.

Once i was like you guys, I used to do them like once every month- but if you work them every week, they give soooo much back. I only discovered this over the last month.

My work-out partner has a buddy who's a pro body builder who says that dead lifts are his favorite and most important back exercise. I heard this and was skeptical at first- but he is a pro (and serious juice pig) so I tried them out. Now I'm a believer.

They're like squats, flat bench and bent-over rows. The corner stone exercises IMO.

So yeah, I'd have to say give them a try for 3 or 4 weeks....
    Let me know how you like 'em (and I know you will).

And now back to the original question....

BigWill is offline Junior Member
    I do deadlifts on back day...used to do them on leg day, but I was too exhausted to do anything. This is my routine:

1. Bent over rows
    2. Stiff leg deadlifts
    3. Shrugs
    4. Seated cable rows
    5. Lat pulldowns.

This routine has worked great for me. And I can go to work after my workout.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I do deadlifts every week its my cornerstone of back workouts

Billy

AlexG is offline New Member
    i usually do deadlifts every weeks as well after my back workout i rest 15 minutes and go for deadlifts but every 3 weeks i go and on my back workout i just do deadlifts and nothing else(warm up with some back extensions).. this because i find that i get so much power from this exercise in a long run and also my lower back is always stronger so i can go on squats heavier.

CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member
    i dont do them because they promote slow muscle movements in athletes, but every once in a while they are good, very good for strength just not speed.

gorilla is offline Associate Member
    i have to do them weekly, along with cling and jerks, and squats. Your not pushing 100% without them. ARNOLD did them!!!!!!

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Do them FIRST, then follow with wide grip pullups or another wide movement. If you're doing them correctly you don't need much more. If you want to mix in more volume then lighten up every other week on the deadlifts and then add other less joint stressful exercises.

Thanks for the input bro's,

yeah DB101, I think I'll try doing them first on back day.

One thing I have discovered to NOT do is squats and then dead lifts. - its painfull just remembering that workout...

Abbaddon is offline New Member
    Originally posted by gorilla
    i have to do them weekly, along with cling and jerks, and squats. Your not pushing 100% without them. ARNOLD did them!!!!!!
    to me not doing them is like not squating they are a major exercise that is great for overall body developement. I do them at the beginning of my workout meaning my first exercise on back day.

Now as for Arnold doing them.......... I know I may get flamed for this but he isnt necessarily the best reference for bodybuilding. Yes he is one of the greatest of all times but that doesnt mean his principles should be followed to the letter. Him doing deads yes that is right. Things like him squatting barefooted...... well just my .02 anyway

Thread Information